Staying off resort...more than a few questions

cdn-girl

Feb 11, 2006
I am travelling with a few friends mid May and we are considering staying off resort at a place recommended by a Dominican acquaintance/pen pal of mine. We are looking at a small place called the hotel Guadalupe on Bavaro Beach/Cabeza de Toro. My friend assures me it is safe to travel as women alone, that the hotel is safe, that we would have no problems. We are not looking for resort vacation, but more of an inexpensive Dominican experience...ANY advice to stay safe and tips for finding food or, if necessary, alternate accomodations would be appreciated. I have been to the DR before, and have a small Spanish vocabulary.;) We are choosing this area because my friend lives and works here, and I would like to see him.

Last edited:

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
cdn-girl said:
I am travelling with a few friends mid May and we are considering staying off resort at a place recommended by a Dominican acquaintance/pen pal of mine. We are looking at a small place called the hotel Guadalupe on Bavaro Beach/Cabeza de Toro. My friend assures me it is safe to travel as women alone, that the hotel is safe, that we would have no problems. We are not looking for resort vacation, but more of an inexpensive Dominican experience...ANY advice to stay safe and tips for finding food or, if necessary, alternate accomodations would be appreciated. I have been to the DR before, and have a small Spanish vocabulary.;)

I am sure ohters are much more qualified to comment but the area you have chosen will NOT give you a true dominican experience - there is not much in that area but resorts. If you are looking for a true dominican experience you would do much better on the N Coast, Samana, or Boca Chica area. Punta Cana area is typically the most expensive area as well...Tom

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Far from the beaten track as well.......

Might I suggest Juan Dolio??

There are a couple of nice guest houses fairly inexpensive and you are close to Boca Chica, San Pedro, Santo Domingo (to visit the Colonial zone), La Romana, etc.

Easy to do day trips to Catalina Island or Saona.

Not a lot in the way of nightlife however you also don't have the hassles of Boca Chica and you can take the bus to BC and a taxi home fairly inexpensively or better yet purchase a night pass to Costa Caribe resort or La Capella for the night you want to disco.

The beach is great for sunning or swimming and if you make friends with Mara at Hotel Flor di Loto she may even take you into the capital one night to go 'clubbing'!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
You missed the point

MommC said:
Might I suggest Juan Dolio??

There are a couple of nice guest houses fairly inexpensive and you are close to Boca Chica, San Pedro, Santo Domingo (to visit the Colonial zone), La Romana, etc.

Easy to do day trips to Catalina Island or Saona.

Not a lot in the way of nightlife however you also don't have the hassles of Boca Chica and you can take the bus to BC and a taxi home fairly inexpensively or better yet purchase a night pass to Costa Caribe resort or La Capella for the night you want to disco.

The beach is great for sunning or swimming and if you make friends with Mara at Hotel Flor di Loto she may even take you into the capital one night to go 'clubbing'!

We are choosing this area because my friend lives and works here, and I would like to see him.

She needs to be in Bavaro.