Wireless Communities

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
I'm currently involved with the development of wireless communities here in the US and was curious if there were any of you IT guys out there implementing this in the DR. I'm curious about the market in this area and if you guys see one in the DR. I know there are several of you who are working (or fighting) technology issues in the DR and I'm also aware of the many limitations due to power and other infrastructure issues. I design with these limitations in mind and also take full advantage of open source technology such as FreeBSD (my preference) or Linux. Many of the required parts (antenna's) can be easily manufactured within the country. These implementations have been successfully implemented in remote locations throughout the world, such as remote areas of Africa, where there is little to no infrastructure.

I previously lived in the DR (Luperon) and am familiar with the country's intricacies but I'm always looking at opportunities to get back. I was considering an idea of setting up the first wireless community in Luperon in order to take advantage of the money that exist in the boating community there since foreign boaters always have need for access. After that city businesses/schools and such would be approached and priced accordingly.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Be careful with your "wireless communities", might want to keep quiet about them.

Big article in one of the papers the other day, looks like there is going to be a crackdown on anyone reselling internet access or VOIP without the required consessions from INDOTEL, minimum fine RD 1.8 Million, up to 11 million.

I am sure an alert reader can supply a link, I don't have it myself.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I do not think so, from what I can tell the law refers to people SELLING voip services, although from the language INDOTEL is using it looks like every internet cafe in the country should probably be fined. (selling internet without a concession)

I don't think that they will, most likely there is just going to be 2 or 3 major shakedowns of anybody who looks like they might be providing competition for one of the good old boys (Verizon, Tricom, etc.) and have some assets worth siezing.