Sea lice in the Dominican

drdiver

Apr 9, 2006
I'm hearing all kinds of horror stories from friends about these critters in the "DR". Is it really a problem or are they all just jealous that I get to come? Staying in June. If it is a real problem (bad rashes under the suit) how do I avoid it?

Thanks in advance.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just Jealous...

drdiver said:
I'm hearing all kinds of horror stories from friends about these critters in the "DR". Is it really a problem or are they all just jealous that I get to come? Staying in June. If it is a real problem (bad rashes under the suit) how do I avoid it?

Thanks in advance.
I just spoke to Gina at Northern Coast Dive Center and asked her about Sea Lice.
She said that she has heard of them but never heard of a case in the 6 years she has lived here.
Some friends you got !

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What might happen is that very small jellyfish might get on you, and produce a rash--its happened to me a couple of times in the past. No big deal.

I have never heard of these critters--and I've been here for a loooooooooog time.

HB:D:D

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I have heard of these critters in Cancun, Mexico. They left some bad rashes on people. The most common spot for the rash would be in the groin area.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i dont think it is sea lice...but i have noticed that i get little bites on my legs...and sometimes my butt. after a lot of time in the water. Nothing serious....but one thing i do now is i mix a little bit of antibacterial cream (bacetracian) as well as aloe and vitamin e oh...and some coritzone creme as well too...to stop any intching. And that seems to do the trick.

I Really dont know what this skin irritation is. I just chalk it up to being in a totaly different environment and getting a lot more sun and sea water than i get here in nyc area. Just bring the antibacerial stuff and the other stuff and things should be fine

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Amazing, a first-time poster who asks a question one day, and provides a cure the next day. What a coincidence.

drdiver

Apr 9, 2006
HOWMAR said:
Amazing, a first-time poster who asks a question one day, and provides a cure the next day. What a coincidence.

Wow, that's a terrible way to be welcomed to the forum. I'm looking for answers "howmar" and am sharing something related to my search. If anyone here has used this stuff and it doesn't work, it would be nice to know before I bought it.

:ermm:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
How it works

Safe Sea? lotion was clinically tested in an FDA-approved hospital under the supervision of expert dermatologists.

During the test, jellyfish were brought in contact with volunteers. Each volunteer touched a jellyfish with a Safe Sea?-protected hand and with an unprotected hand which served as a control for the intensity of the stinging.

In all of the volunteers tested, the hand protected by Safe Sea? was free of pain and irritation, while the unprotected hand developed pain, irritation, and inflammatory rash.

12 months later, the volunteers who applied Safe Sea developed loss of sensation and grew scales similar to those of the Clown fish in the protected area...*

*added by the poster

-

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Push the ignore button

drdiver said:
Wow, that's a terrible way to be welcomed to the forum. I'm looking for answers "howmar" and am sharing something related to my search. If anyone here has used this stuff and it doesn't work, it would be nice to know before I bought it.

:ermm:

As you become familiar with this board you will find people that you will like and.....*sigh* people that you will dispise. Just as the morons on this board have a right to post sarcastic remarks. They can as long as they aren't vulgar or threatening. You on the other hand can also select the "ignore" feature on your control panel and sarcastic "know it alls" , complaining "crybabies", and malicious "cyber bullies" vanish with the click of your mouse.

Getting back onto topic and trying to assist you. Try asking the experts in the area at http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/ I am sure that the owners, Brad and Pat or one of their divers will help you out. Stop in and see them when you are in Sosua; their shop is right on Pedro Clisante.

Good luck

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
In 16 yrs of diving,snorkeling,swimming and helping out at a dive center...

I've never heard of sea lice (at least on the Carribbean side of the island) nor seen anyone including myself bothered with under the suit rash!

I've only ever seen or heard of two jellyfish stings and both occurred because the swimmers (note swimmers not divers...) had no prior knowledge of jelly fish ("vida agua" aka 'live water') and didn't know enough not to get too close or not to touch them!

Come on down.....have fun diving and RELAX! Es muy buena aqui!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yes they're jealous.........

drdiver said:

Thanks in advance.

BTW....the 'bites' mentioned by another poster were probably salt welts from excessive exposure......I have encountered this when spending a lot of time in the water due to my sensitive skin!!

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
these salt welts just might be what i was referring to...as i spend nearly the entire day in the water! I have not encountered too many insects on the beach....and only one year (out of 7) did i encounter jellyfish.

My little lotion combo seems to work tho. I must google salt welts now :)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well I don't know if google will 'recognise' salt welts but it's when the salt in the water crystallizes (from body heat) and work their way under the skin (salt crystals have sharp edges!). I combat it by climbing out of the water occassionally, ditching the wet suit and going for a 'bare' swim then towelling off briskly before donning the wetsuit again.
Might be worth a try jrz!

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
Hmmm...mommC..i am 100% sure these salt welts are what i get. (nothing on google). Hmmmm...i wonder how folks will react to my toweling off in the buff LOL.