Americans living in Santo Domingo

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Please PM me. I am considering moving to Santo Domingo for a job in 6 months, and I would like to get some insight on what it is like to live there as an American.

Thank you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
holita, There are literally 100's of people here on the board that can tell you what it is like to live in Santo Domingo as an American. It would be good if such a discussion can take place on the board. Are you single, or with a family or a group?

I have a good American friend in Santiago. She loves it here, and sometimes hates it here. Her fridge is filled with Chef Boyardee?s (sp) ravioli in tomato sauce, peanut butter, pringles and Hershey's, because that is what she likes. Our fridge is filled with vegetables, fruit and local produce, which is what we like.

As a non-American with American ties ;), I can tell you that the experience is what you make of it. As an American, if you can step over what you have been taught as proper, and re-look at your values with an acceptance of how other people do things, you will be fine. If you hold your 'Americanness' above everything else, you'll have a hard time. No-one is going to give you a break because of where you were born. You will have to learn the ways of this country with an open mind.

Do some research on this site. There are many Americans here.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Please PM me. I am considering moving to Santo Domingo for a job in 6 months, and I would like to get some insight on what it is like to live there as an American.

Thank you.

Do you know where the job will be? There are many nice places to live in SD. I recommend living close to your job so you will not have to deal with traffic or the price of taxis.

I have lived in Gazcue for a year. It is nice here.

Larry

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I plan on living in Vergel. I think the job is in that area. Does anyone know that area?

And, DaddiSammi...you sure making DR sound like a place I want to live...wow:cheeky:

Anyone else have any experience with living in DR they would like to share, specifically Santo Domingo? Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
El Vergel is a middle class residential area roughly between Lincoln and Maximo Gomez, south of Av. 27 de Feb. About as central as you can get for the modern part of the city, and not too far from the colonial zone and the Malecon (seafront) either.
If you have specific questions based on your particular circumstances, feel free.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Lately the traffic is no joke. With the Metro construction running down Maximo Gomez and then past my apartment heading west, a 15 minute drive turns into a 45 minute frustration. Expect this to last another 2 years, then the next phase of the metro will begin, and so on for the next 10 or 20 years. The area you mention is next to Maximo Gomez and along 27 Febrero(another traffic headache). Don't make any decisions about long term rental until you get here and have a good look around.

These last months have been Hot! I didn't believe my wife when she used to tell me about the Heat, but it wears on you month after month. The streets and even the walk along the Malecon are not comfortable, little shade, exhaust fumes, and if you're a woman, constant cat calls. It's the same if you're American or Dominican. If your job gives you a nice income and can afford air conditioned luxury 24-7, a nice car, and can get out of the city on the weekends, go for it.

SD is a city, a very hot and dirty city. Plenty of great people, some really nice people. A lot of things to do, if you have the money. I wouldn't come for the city, but if the job is a good career move, I wouldn't stay away because of the city. Its got its good and its bad aspects. Don't believe the horror stories but I've met more than a few Americans, some with little money some with a great deal of money, who couldn't hack it for more than a couple of months.

Some have had great luck avoiding crime, others have had pretty bad luck. I know one guy who was held up 3 times in the 2 months he was here, he liked to walk around Naco, which is supposed to be a nice area. My wife, a Dominican, was held at gunpoint in Arroyo Hondo, in the middle of the day on a busy street, when she was walking 2 blocks to pick up some chinese food for lunch. You gotta watch your back and take no chances.

After 2 years in the country my wife and I have decided to move on, we're taking our time, no need to run, it's been great to get closer to her family while the kids are still young, and the kids are now truly bilingual. I've met some very interesting people and have had a very enriching time. The adjustments are hard sometimes, but the rewards can be great, and no doubt the experience will be unforgetable. Hey, you only live once, good luck, keep posting, let us know how you're doing.

There are many really nice people on this board who will not steer you wrong, no one will tell you SD is easy. But lots of people, including americans have decided to make their life here.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Naufrago hit it on the head in many ways,and i can tell you that his opinion is worth heeding, as I have met him and can vouch for his good sense! Plus he really lives here, works here, participates; he is not a mere visitor. There are many drawbacks to living in a developing nation that is sort of on the cusp of two worlds. While I find the traditional culture very stimulating and interesting, the new world that is taking its place is a mixed bag. Along with the increasing overall wealth, there is inflation, conspicuous consumerism of a particularly egregious sort, crime, greater class conflict, etc. There is also increasing Americanization. But there are better services (not talking about the electricity here!), wider range of consumer goods (heck, you can buy Thai curry paste now in Chinatown here), the capital, though dirty, is cleaner than it was in the past, and more Dominicans these days are aware about the outside world and have a hand in it -- particularly the young people. It is a bustling place, despite the laid back caribbean culture, and it is changing fast. There are opportunities here, too, for the entrepreneurially minded, but the business climate is tough! I have seen more failures than successes. You cannot afford too be naive, too trusting, a "pendejo" in any way shape or form. Survival is a paramount value here, and survival sometimes dictates that people act nakedly in their own self interest. You absolutely must learn Spanish and learn the history and culture if you expect to get anything out of this experience and thrive.

If you live over by Vergel, you may well want AC and all the fixings (including a generator in the building, or at least your own inverter, because you wont always have lights). It is going to cost you a pretty sum. I dont have any of that and I live very comfortably in Gazcue. My apt faces the sea, we get a breeze and the ceiling fans take care of the rest. While it gets pretty hot toward the end of summer (and wet!), the good weather is on its way now. You dont have to have a car, but it is certainly nice to own one. Bear in mind that cars down here are more expensive (import tariffs) and second hand junkers go for more money than they ought to.

Money in general is a problem. First of all you have to accustom yourself to watching everyone in any situation that deals with money. Plenty of honest people here, of course, but money you will quickly discover poses a problem and all financial transactions, from a colmado purchase up to buying property, has to be closely watched. El que tiene tienda, que la atienda o si no, la venda. I dont know what kind of work you may have acquired but i can tell you that working here as an employee is usually a thankless situation. I am a freelancer whose clients are mostly American and European, but I am always looking for extra work down here, and I am sorry to say that, except when I work for the newspapers (Clave, Listín) I have not yet been satisfied and in some cases I was thoroughly disgusted and walked out. All part of the learning experience, I dont regret any of it, and in fact it all just provides more fodder for my essays! My last gig was teaching English to baseball players -- what a farce! But also quite interesting and it was a pleasure to be among the kids who are all very spirited people (a bit too spirited!). That part of it was wonderful; the program however was a failure.

Finally, about moving on or settling in. I think it is best approached with an open mind as a kind of test. I am happy here, I could see myself living here till my bones nourish the farm I would like someday to buy. But as a parent I have to say that I have ambiguous feelings. I think that this place is great for children: my (almost) 4 yr old daughter is a very very happy child and surrounded by the love of a large extended Dominican tribe. But will that be sufficient when she reaches adolescense? I dont know. I would like her to see the world, but she may pursue that on her own while I dodder on here. I will say that I am impressed by many of the young middle class kids I am meeting these days, who are all quite hip, quite bright, well attuned to the outside world, and deep down, very good kids. So maybe there is hope for the place. But I sometimes think it would be nice to live in Spain and have all of Europe and No. Africa in your backyard.

You have any specific questions feel free to ask.

JenBop29

Jun 5, 2006
This is a great thread! I lived in Gazcue for two months back in May and have plans to return for 1 year in late Jan. - early Feb.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Gazcue

As Larry said Gazcue is nice....Probably the best neighborhood in Santo Domingo...I stay there when I am in the Capital..Very affordable and safe..
If I was living in Santo Domingo..Gazcue is where I would look to live..

Last edited:

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I am now looking to live in Evistas Morales....anyone know about that area?

I found a great apartment there...

B

batich

Thank you.

You will see a lot of difference from USA. Some are good some are bad. To different tastes.
IMHO the three major advantages of DR over USA are:

1. Personal freedom. You are not watched and controled 24 hours a day. You can carry beer without paper bag. You can drive at any speed that you feel safe. You can park anyplace as long as it does not create problems for others. You can talk cellphone while driving. You can talk to women in the street without been accused of harrasment. You can drive on red light if you see that there is no other vehicles.

2. You see so many beautiful available and willing young women that you could not even dream in USA.

3. Summer all year long.

IMHO disadvantages are:

1. Absense of infrastructure

2. Absense of health care

3. Absense of personal protection

4.Everybody tries to rip you off as soon as they see your gringo face

5.Corrupted lawers and police that can destroy you financially or imprison you without any guilt from you.

6.Everything is overpriced big time (especially Real Estate )and your life will be more costly than in the States.

7. Uncontrolled greed-motivated development that destroys fragile environment and echosystem.

Depending on what is more important to you.

For some people (including myself) the three advantages by far overweigh those seven disadvantages and we love DR as the best place on Earth.

For others - DR is the human junkyard.

So, you will either love it or hate it. Or maybe both.

B

batich

My judgement of infrastructure, health care and personal safety - was in comparison with USA from where OP comes. Compared to some other third world countries those segments of DR may seem even advanced.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I come from New Orleans...I have lived here for 5 years and post Hurricane Katrina....when I went to visit Santo Domingo last week, I felt like I had died and went to heaven....it is so much cleaner, nicer, more organized and in better condition than New Orleans....

Trust me, I am coming from a 3rd world country....

May 31, 2005
Even here already?

Sad.

ha ha ha ha ha... I know what you mean...

Holita, I do not have any info on Evaristo Morales. Sorry. Hopefully somebody will come forward. Did you try a search on DR1? I believe there is a thread somewhere on the best neighborhoods in Santo Domingo. People discuss different areas of La Capital on that thread.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I think Evaristo Morales is "so-so". They are building a lot there, up to 10 story apartments (nice ones). At the same time it is IMO somewhat overpriced considering the area still has lots of colmados and potholes in the streets. Nothing against colmados, I just don't see the value in $200k + apartments if they're across the street from it. Overall I would think the future for real estate in Evaristo is bright tho.