Americans living in Santo Domingo

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
You want change go to Tokyo!

I come from New Orleans...I have lived here for 5 years and post Hurricane Katrina....when I went to visit Santo Domingo last week, I felt like I had died and went to heaven....it is so much cleaner, nicer, more organized and in better condition than New Orleans....

Trust me, I am coming from a 3rd world country....

Holito...I understand that New Orleans is not the same because of Katrina...but living third world...I don't think so...you have the option to move to another state of your choice, if you have any education, or any skill you should have no problems....NOW..you want to venture out to D.R. working for a $1.50 an hour...common are you for real! as an American of DOMINICAN decent, I was depressed big time....I will spare you my long agonizing stories.:bandit:

But I will say this....living anywhere, from any country with alot of money, can keep you occupied maybe....and living in D.R. as an American can be somewhat pleasant at times....but NOW! living in "Santo Domingo" as a born and raised American, you will be miserable!! and I only hope your not blonde with blue eyes, if you really observed the capital you did noticed...No Afro - Americans, No Caucasion either, unless you go to the colonial zone on a Saturday...catch my drift!:ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think Evaristo Morales is "so-so". They are building a lot there, up to 10 story apartments (nice ones). At the same time it is IMO somewhat overpriced considering the area still has lots of colmados and potholes in the streets. Nothing against colmados, I just don't see the value in $200k + apartments if they're across the street from it. Overall I would think the future for real estate in Evaristo is bright tho.
It's not bad - could be said to be one way of living near to upscale areas with good shops and amenities without paying such high rents. Evaristo Morales has a poor neighbourhood, Quisqueya, nearby, and Avenida Churchill with its Torre Acropolis mall and posh neighbourhood Piantini on the other side.

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
but NOW! living in "Santo Domingo" as a born and raised American, you will be miserable!! and I only hope your not blonde with blue eyes, if you really observed the capital you did noticed...No Afro - Americans, No Caucasion either, unless you go to the colonial zone on a Saturday...catch my drift!:ermm:

I happen to know the young lady in question, and she will do fine. No need to scare anyone. Many ?Caucasian?Americans can be quite happy in SD!

holita

Jun 6, 2006
daddy1...thank you for your concern, but I do not fear misery....I am not blue-eyed blonde haired...in fact I am of Dominican decent. I will be fine, and if I am not, I will return home.

Besides, I know many "blonde haired blued eyed" americans that live in Santo Domingo, and they are perfectly content. Unless you give me some actual tangible reasons as to why an american will be miserable in Santo domingo, spare your time.

Anyone else with advice?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Ah bueno, You're of Dominican descent. And you have never been to DR and, specifically, SD?
And you "know many Americans that live in SD and are perfectly content"....Soooo, If you know, why are you asking questions you already have an answer to?! No te entiendo, nena.

CG4522

Dec 19, 2006
Dr

It is wierd to think I have been back 2 years now, I lived there for 2 years as a Mormon missionary so I got to see quite a bit of Santo Domingo and also Azua and San Cristobal. I met several Americans that were working down there, and if you have lots of money I think it would be a pretty decent place to live, especially compared to New Orleans, which after living there as well I would say the DR is better.

I never really had any problems with theives, mostly because they knew we didn't have any money, but I had several friends that were robbed. One that lived in a very bad barrio was shot at and their apartment was broken into and they were forced into the bathroom while the theives took CD players and the like.

One thing I would suggest is that you at least try and learn the language. I had one Canadian friend that had lived there 15 years and refused to learn how to properly conjugate a verb.

You will want to have enough money to live in a nice place with A/C and a generator. I don't think most Americans could handle the 15 hours of heat with no electricity or running water.

One thing I would suggest seeing is by San Cristobal going up past Cambita there are a bunch of really nice mansions on the mountains that overlook the ocean and the capital, and there is also a German Bed & Breakfast that also serves just meals with one of the most amazing views I have seen in my life.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Let me clarify, I have been to DR many times...My father is Dominican, and all my father's family is there...I know a lot about the Dominican Republic, but (prior to dr1.com) I did not know any americans living there...thanks to this site and this thread however, I have met so many people...which is nice. This site has help me meet many americans that can give me persective on living in the country as an american. Though I am of Dominican descent, i still have the mentality of an american. Morever, since all my family is Dominican, they will not understand how it is for me to live in another country, understand??? Most of my americans companions I have meet on this site have given me positive insight on living in the caribbean, and it makes me optimistic about this experience.

Anyway, I would like to get as much insight as possible...so if anyone else has advice, PLEASE SHARE...thanks so much!!!

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Goodbye DR Friends It was Great!

Hi everybody, didn't want to leave without saying Goodbye to all the kind people that I had the chance to meet through this forum. My last post in this thread several months ago pretty much sums up my feelings, and I think I was getting pretty worn down from the heat and the traffic. And my need to explore and find new things from time to time... We've moved to Montevideo, Uruguay, those of you that know me, know that I was looking to make this leap to South America, and start exploring a little. Naufrago No More! I had an opportunity to continue some work for a client I picked up in SD, and I'm hooking up with some English Institutes, same old, same old. What a relief to feel the cold air of Winter, as there is no visa requirement for Dominicans, I have a feeling we will be hosting many of my wife relatives in a very short time, a few have made some very definite plans already. If you're ever in the neighborhood, give me a shout kenmandel@gmail.com , thanks again to all, I'm posting on a UY Forum, as I've learned the value of these boards for connecting and getting info, thanks for the lesson. Juanita, Chiri, Robert, Macocael, NegritaLinda, Mirador, it was great meeting you guys and thanks for the kind words and smiles.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Let me clarify, I have been to DR many times...My father is Dominican, and all my father's family is there...I know a lot about the Dominican Republic, but (prior to dr1.com) I did not know any americans living there...thanks to this site and this thread however, I have met so many people...which is nice. This site has help me meet many americans that can give me persective on living in the country as an american. Though I am of Dominican descent, i still have the mentality of an american. Morever, since all my family is Dominican, they will not understand how it is for me to live in another country, understand??? Most of my americans companions I have meet on this site have given me positive insight on living in the caribbean, and it makes me optimistic about this experience.

Anyway, I would like to get as much insight as possible...so if anyone else has advice, PLEASE SHARE...thanks so much!!!

We know several americans who have moved down to DR and have adjusted well (business owners, or otherwise employed, nice social network, stable relationships). When we were considering moving down on a PT basis, the common piece of advise to us was to remember "This ain't the US". You must adjust to The DR, not the other way around. That is a good bit of advise so i pass it on to you.

I think for those who are smart, tough, have a Plan A, B, and C, will be fine.

CJ