Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    batich
    Guest

    Default Healthy eating in Sosua?

    A friend of mine was a bit shocked with meals in Sosua eating establishments: everything is fried,mostly meat or pasta/pizza/potatoes , loaded with fat and junk calories , very small salads.

    I cannot recommend any places for light, low calorie healthy eating. Suggested only to make and eat a big salad , eat plenty of yogurt and boiled eggs for protein at home and never order main courses and postre in restaurantes - only wine with something light.

    Any better ideas please?

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up

    your friend will be fine if he stays in an AI: lots of fresh fruit and veg. every day. If he doesn't then he can buy lots of fresh food in the supermarkets and make some salads at home, that's what we did.

    DR has such great variety of fruit, and everything is so much cheaper here, yum-yum.

    Cheers,

    the fruitarian

  3. #3
    batich
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by palomitamia View Post
    your friend will be fine if he stays in an AI: lots of fresh fruit and veg. every day. If he doesn't then he can buy lots of fresh food in the supermarkets and make some salads at home, that's what we did.

    DR has such great variety of fruit, and everything is so much cheaper here, yum-yum.

    Cheers,

    the fruitarian

    Exactly what I told her. Word for word.

    And AIs are even worse.
    Right, they have more greens. But meat dishes are horrible. Same as deserts.
    And as these meals are "free" people overeat this junk. Often gaining 10-20 Lb a week (combining with stupid sunburn) and upon return going to see a doctor.
    They call it "vacation".

    Same story with all AIs everywhere where I`ve been. Egypt, Tunisia,UAE,Turkey,Jamaica. As much fat, sugar and spicies as possible. To cover the real taste of the cheapest food they are buying for their guests.

    So, we have no even SEMI-vegitarian restaurantes here in Sosua?

  4. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default sorry but

    abandon all hope upon entering a tourist town, dear batich. the main principle of resort is cheap and fast - and that is what tourists want. you can find nice places where locals eat but it will be just as difficult to digest as fast food. dominican rice, bean and chicken are a little bit fatty and god forbid you to try sausage or milk-based desserts - i had diarrhoea for two days - not advaicable on a holiday, is it? it takes time to get used to dominican meat and milk, especially if you have a sensative stomach. my english landlors has a deep love for rocky's bar and their food, maybe not 100% healthy but tasty!
    ai is what you get from it, when on holiday in DR in ai i always lost weight, if at the buffet your friend sticks to fruits and veggies she should be ok as to sweets - there is a german bakery in sosua (almost at the end of the city, heading towards cabarete) that has excellent cakes. don't be shy of helados bon - they are really good and safe to eat.

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    600
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I found the food in Sosua far superior to the normal fast food crap you find in the US. You can get grilled chicken at the chicken stand on Pedro Clisante and all the restaurants have fruit dishes especially for breakfast. There is also an endless supply of street venders selling fresh fruits and nuts all over the place. If you need to stay in a glass bubble you shouldnt be on vacation in a 3rd world country.

  6. #6
    batich
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    abandon all hope upon entering a tourist town, dear batich. the main principle of resort is cheap and fast - and that is what tourists want. you can find nice places where locals eat but it will be just as difficult to digest as fast food. dominican rice, bean and chicken are a little bit fatty and god forbid you to try sausage or milk-based desserts - i had diarrhoea for two days - not advaicable on a holiday, is it? it takes time to get used to dominican meat and milk, especially if you have a sensative stomach. my english landlors has a deep love for rocky's bar and their food, maybe not 100% healthy but tasty!
    ai is what you get from it, when on holiday in DR in ai i always lost weight, if at the buffet your friend sticks to fruits and veggies she should be ok as to sweets - there is a german bakery in sosua (almost at the end of the city, heading towards cabarete) that has excellent cakes. don't be shy of helados bon - they are really good and safe to eat.
    I am not a tourist and I am not in AI and in ten years in South and North Coasts of DR my stomach adopted to dominican food but thanks for insight anyway!

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile

    La Roca has a great Thai Chicken salad with seasonal fruit. Morua Mai has grilled sea bass to die for with steamed veggies and rice. Both restaurants I have found have used fresh ingredients and their menus have lots of options that don't fall into the "Fast food" categories. Good Luck

  8. #8
    batich
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1 View Post
    La Roca has a great Thai Chicken salad with seasonal fruit. Morua Mai has grilled sea bass to die for with steamed veggies and rice. Both restaurants I have found have used fresh ingredients and their menus have lots of options that don't fall into the "Fast food" categories. Good Luck

    Thank you!
    That is what was needed.

    I myself too hate fried, fatty or overloaded with calories meals. At least for sex within next 6 hours they are bad!

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The new place in town, Common Grounds has a few vegetarian dishes as well. They serve veggie loaf, veggie lasagne and a few other vegetarian meals. Also some nice salads. A bit pricey as far as Sosua prices go though, but still good food.

    Also for those who are not worried about eating healthy, their chocolate cake and other baked goods are absolutely to die for!

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey Benna

    Nice to see you are still on the board! Jenny and I are back at the end of Jan so hope to see you around Sousa!

    With regard to some nice food - there are good noodle dishes at Quxihoties and Debbies Pantry at the other end served some healthy meals on my last visit!

    Good luck on your healthy food search!

    PS - Personaly I think if your on vacation - sod it - enjoy yourself for 2 weeks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •