To all the THIEVES who work at SDQ Airport

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
I hope that you use your pilfered gains to buy computers, learn English, and read this: You SUCK. I hope your new computers are stolen from your houses and I hope your English is sufficient enough to understand my gleeful laughter when this happens.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
It's very true...

I've traveled there under several governments, and they still cannot control the theft of airport officials, neither upon entering or leaving the country, when I arrive for example...there is always someone trying to lure me out of the tax line, to bump me up directly to the custom agent and or sometimes the line....when this happens I approch cust agent she or he will ask me for ten dollars, and to also issue ten to the man who bumped me from the line...the man who bumped me from the line then follows me to the carousel and watches me waiting for my bags, when I pick them up he again this time without asking gets a cart loads my bags and bumps me in front of everyone else, again to the T.S.A. agent checking bags...the agent looks at the guy looks at me and ask...is there something in this bag you want to give me, while not making any eye contact with me....the first time I aggressively said no they taxed me big time with no reciept for bringing two xbox games for my nephews during the holidays...I mean this is when they really get you...now this does not happen to everyone, it's like russian roulette, they pick and chose there prey!...but ...they don't constantly do this, and yeah it does not stop there, when you head outside police officers always try to hit me up for cash... and cab drivers.... forget it you will be taxed big! bottom line once or twice these incidents would not bother me but, my whole family and myself always get hit when we travel to SDQ...now sometimes I go with it, to get to my destination quicker other times, I'm telling them to get lost!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I have never had a bad experience at SDQ or any other airport in this country although I am well aware that these things do happen. My advice to you or anyone else is to learn Spanish and refuse to give any money. When you engage these people in Spanish, they wont bother you but will move on to the next gringo. This is life here. If you are not willing to learn to speak the language and play their game then you will lose.

Stop complaining about the game; empower yourself and learn to play back.

Larry

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Spanish???

Funny, when going through SDQ customs, I play dumb. I say little to nothing at all and sparingly speak in Spanish. If I'm caught "listening" and they question my Spanish ability, I continue to play dumb, continuously asking them to repeat their questions. I do this in a clear voice with a big grin on my face.

I feel that at a minimum, a working knowledge of Spanish is necessary when traveling to Latin America. Nevertheless, I prefer to catch people off guard, by not "showing all my cards at once."

-Helpmann ;)

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
It was partly my stupidity for thinking I could check anything of value at all. Of course, by the time I got my bags back... everything was gone.

Don't check anything but dirty laundry.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
just a few questions...Do you think they look at the name on the bag, and only hit non-dominican looking names? Also, are you allowed to put a lock on your checked items?

C

Chip00

Advice from a frequent flier

Let me give you a few pointers from a gringo who travels back and forth to the DR:

1. Rememeber - most major carriers allow "two" carry on on items ALBEIT CLASSIFIED as differently. Ex. one carry on item with one personal item. Take advantage of this to carry the "unreplaceable" items with you. My carry on is usually packed to the hilt (not weight though - 40 lbs max usually)and is also usually just "over" the max. dimensions and will fit in the overhead compartment(just barely, though) and my personal item is usually the laptop.

2. IF YOU SPEAK SPANISH - KEEP IT A SECRET!!! They will treat you 300% better. Play dumb like I do and listen to what they say for further edification - Diablo, que gringo ma' feo que c*&% mio, cono!

3. Most carriers have insurance. Just make sure you follow step #1

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Also, are you allowed to put a lock on your checked items?

Yes, you are allowed to use a TSA approved lock. I have one with a small indicator window. The indicator shows red if the lock has been opened. If you notice the lock has been opened immediately check contents and report any missing items to your airline. I have never had my luggage opened for inspection. To be honest half the times I forget lock my luggage.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Yes, you are allowed to use a TSA approved lock. I have one with a small indicator window. The indicator shows red if the lock has been opened. If you notice the lock has been opened immediately check contents and report any missing items to your airline. I have never had my luggage opened for inspection. To be honest half the times I forget lock my luggage.

TSA is a post 9/11 American affectation. While it is possible that authorities in other jurisdictions (i.e. DR) MAY have the special TSA keys to open TSA locks it is just as likely that they MAY NOT. The appropriate authorities still have the right to inspect your luggage, for valid reasons, and will simply cut off any lock which may impede their inspection; TSA lock or not.

I am not approving of theft in any form by this posting but the full benefits of a TSA approved lock are ONLY valid on US domestic flights where you are certain that the authorities have access to the special TSA keys to open TSA approved locks.

BTW Merry Christmas.

Gregg

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Try Travel on a Sunday

I was told this by a friend in the DNI...and he said they are understaffed on that day and your risk of being ripped off is less if you fly in on a Sunday..
I have always done this and even brought in sevaral collectors Pocket knives in my checked luggage only to find out it was opened at EWR and not SDQ....
They don't need to rip you off in Newark N.J. It was opened as I declared them at check in.....Then a customs seal was placed on the bag stating it was hand inspected........

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
As far as theft is concered I worry more about my luggage arriving. EWR-STI flights are notorious for delayed luggage. I have flown into STI four times and batting 50% on delayed luggage. Once I received my luggage two days later and once I received my luggage at the airport on the day of departure.

May 31, 2005
In one of my flights from Boston the plane was overweight and we had to remove 11 pieces of luggage. They were to arrive in the next flight the next day. Sometimes it is not carelessness and that they get lost but for your own safety that the bags are removed. That plane cannot take off if it is overweight. They even had to remove two passengers.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i once had someone open a box of condoms in my luggage and take 3..what the heck was that about ?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
i once had someone open a box of condoms in my luggage and take 3..what the heck was that about ?

They don't have the glow in the dark type in the DR...He was just checkin them out..At least he left you the rest to use.........Or were they the flovored type again they don't have those either....Don't tell me they were MAGNUMS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
no zak, they were the extra small type with instructions. glow in the dark, flavored type ? i don't think i'd risk my life on any of those condoms in the DR..

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Was only playing around Kyle ..I'm a little hung over from Yesterday...Had alot to drink for X-mas....Hope yours was good......................Zak

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
no problem zak..i always joke...but now i may have to bring glow in the dark condoms on my next visit...maybe even french ticklers or flavored..LOL

do dominican women like those freaky toys ?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I'm married to a Colombiana and she would cut off my TOY if I attemped to find out for myself....If they like it or not who cares..It's not like your useing something painful on her ??? Let us know how long the condom stays lit after you expose it to light.....I look foreward to your thread after your next visit ..