Driving in USA with dominican license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Can someone please give me straight answers as to what the law says if someone visits NYC , atlanta and wants to drive with dominican license. I was just told last night by a friend of mine that I can't drive in NYC with my dominican license. I thought It was valid for 3 months just like we honor any foreign license here for 3 months.
I am a USA citizen but a resident of santiago, dominican republic. I hold no american license any more. My atlanta license expired 5 yrs ago. I have only dominican license. I plan on using this license to drive in NYC, atlanta, Morocco and in spain in march. Please give info. Thanks in advance.
AZB

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
AZB, Your Dominican Licence is valid in Canada for 90 days, so I'm sure that is also true in the US. I believe an International Drivers licence is also only good for 90 days. Canadian Bob.

Sep 19, 2005
good morning buddy...NY state will NOT recognize your dominican license period....

they will recognize and INTERNATIONAL license..

NYS DMV says that you can go to your( DR) consulate and apply for an international license .

pretty cut and dry

I called the state police and the dutchess county DMV dept

like to gamble????
worse comes to worst.....they deport you

ha ha ha

bob

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Relaxxxxx

From New York State Dept of Motor Vehicles website
NYS DMV - NYS DMV - Driver License, Learner Permit and Non-Driver Photo ID Card

You should be okay... about 1/3 way down the page under drivers from other nations.

FROM THE WEBSITE
" valid driver license from another country is also valid in NYS. You do not need to apply for a NYS driver license unless you become a resident of NYS.

According to NYS law, a resident of another country can get a NYS driver license. The DMV does not recommend this because:

NYS recognizes your foreign driver license if you remain a resident of the nation that issued the license. You do not need to have a NYS driver license to drive in NYS unless you become a resident of NYS."

RE: INTERNATIONAL DRIVER LICENSE
International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is not a driver license. The permit only verifies that you hold a valid driver license in your home country. Your foreign driver license, not the International Driving Permit, allows you to drive in NYS. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit. If you are not a resident of the US, you cannot apply for an International Driving Permit in the US.
You are not required to have an International Driving Permit to drive in NYS, but the permit has value. The permit verifies, in several languages, that you have a valid foreign driver license. A police officer who cannot read the language on your foreign driver license can read the permit.

From all that I've read in previous research, paying for an International Driver's License is pretty much a waste of money, as it simply is a translation of your driver's license content into several languages that may help if you get stopped in a country - but it's your actual license that's the key.

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I would call the NYS DMV, I saw a link from their site stating that Foreign Drivers licenses are valid for operating a vehicle in NYS.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
CFA123, thanks a lot. makes perfect sense. Now rest of you folks (except canadianbob), please do your homework first before giving wrong info.
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
CFA... that seesm to say the opposite as what i was told over the phone..

I guess he is still back to not having a clear answer...the state police said to call DMV..to get an answer... and the lady at DMV didnt hesitate...she came right out with NO....

sorry aftab

bob

Sep 19, 2005
AZB...I just called back to the Dutchess county DMV.. and told the woman that her info contradicted what the website says....she got a hold of a supervisor.. and they concure among themselevs that NYS wont recognize the dominican license.....even after repeated attemps to have them explain the seemingly clear wording of the website.....they dont care.

so print that little excerpt from the website.. and carry it with you buddy.

bob

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Jeez, and I've always been frustrated by getting straight info on driving legally in DR as a visitor.

T'were it me, I'd go ahead and drive.

Also do as suggested - print out the page. It should make for fascinating discussion with fellow inmates ("I'm innocent, I tell ya', innocent!")as you wait for the public defender to get you out of jail.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Foreign Driver's license are VALID for operating a vehicle in NYS, as long as he does not extend his stay past 90 days, he will then be considered a resident of NYS and will need to change his license, of course exceptions do apply. If you get pulled over, their VTL 509(Driving w/o a license) summons would not stand. I have a VTL book at home, but it would state it.

Sep 19, 2005
check this out...a little more info..
Answer=

it is worded around a question for someone with a valid fireign licens who has a leaners permit for a new new york state license...but the answer quantifies the valid foreign license...but says it needs it translated!!

red tape!!!!!!!!

good luck

bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dammit, now I am back to the state of confusion. I guess I will do what BOb says: print out the page from internet. and carry it with me.
AZB

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Once again you will be summonsed in nyc. No doubt about it. You may be able to beat it in court but you will be summonsed by a new york city cop.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Just a thought... rental car agencies must run into this situation regularly & they're probably at risk if they knowingly rent to someone that's not validly licensed.

A call to Avis/Hertz/whoever might tell you if they'll rent you a car with only a foreign license.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Summoned on what address and what license? I don't live there and have no american ID, only a passport that I do not carry around.
I have dominican tourist friends who rent cars in NYC all the time and drive it with dominican license.
Most people really don't know the laws there unless you show them the piece of paper. I do carry my dominican residency card and my cedula. I can prove it that I live in DR and not a resident of NY.
AZB

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I just looked at the Hertz Car Rental website to see what are the requirements to rent a car at JFK. It says a valid license from country of residence. I find it hard to believe that they would rent you a car if you weren't legal to drive with that license in NY.

Hertz said:
An acceptable valid driver's license, issued from your country of residence, MUST be presented at time of rental. The driver's license must be valid for the entire rental period. If the driver's license is in a language other than English, and the rental is in the United States, an International Driver's Permit is recommended. In all cases, a valid driver's license issued in your home country must be provided, whether or not you possess an International Driver's Permit. You will not be allowed to rent a Hertz vehicle with only an International Driver's Permit

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Dammit, now I am back to the state of confusion. I guess I will do what BOb says: print out the page from internet. and carry it with me.
AZB

If you want, I'll make you a copy of the "EXACT" VTL Section clarifying that the validity of foreign licenses and the definition of driving w/o a license (VTL 509), the officer can only charge you for an offense that falls under those definition.

If you are arrested (I've written hundreds of VTL related offenses for the BKLYN DA), best case scenario you'll be given a summons and sent on you way. worst case scenario (most likely to happen), you are arrested, vehicle towed, brought back to the precint so they can check for outstanding warrants(sometimes 3hrs), which means that you will have to be fingerprinted:tired: and then you will be sent home with a "C" Summons or a "DAT" Desk Apperance Ticket, whether the circumstances permit it. Then you will need someone with a "VALID" driver's license to pick up the vehicle, from the precint.

Happy Driving:bunny:

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
It appears you already know the answer so why ask the question? As a cop for 20 years and dealing with Dominicans in nyc for that entire time most Dominicans encountered are not tourists. They are usually here for a long period of time and try to pass off the license as if they just got here. Try asking the cop that stops you those questions with an attitude and you will end up spending the night in jail. They'll use the excuse that you're from out of the country and a risk not to come back to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.