Driving in USA with dominican license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please give me straight answers as to what the law says if someone visits NYC , atlanta and wants to drive with dominican license. I was just told last night by a friend of mine that I can't drive in NYC with my dominican license. I thought It was valid for 3 months just like we honor any foreign license here for 3 months.
I am a USA citizen but a resident of santiago, dominican republic. I hold no american license any more. My atlanta license expired 5 yrs ago. I have only dominican license. I plan on using this license to drive in NYC, atlanta, Morocco and in spain in march. Please give info. Thanks in advance.
AZB

Dont worry buddy just call me at 2am like you did last time you were driving in NY downtown when the police stopped you ;).

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
It appears you already know the answer so why ask the question? As a cop for 20 years and dealing with Dominicans in nyc for that entire time most Dominicans encountered are not tourists. They are usually here for a long period of time and try to pass off the license as if they just got here. Try asking the cop that stops you those questions with an attitude and you will end up spending the night in jail. They'll use the excuse that you're from out of the country and a risk not to come back to court.

Hahaha, what a Killjoy!!

OK, the (Ultra Worse Case Scenario) and AZB I've seen it happen for lesser offenses as fare-beating and shoplifting at Macy's, the dreaded "going thru the system", which consists of being arrested and processed at the precint and then transported to the criminal court building, while you wait in a "Pen" with 20 to 40 other guys, waiting to be arraigned, which can take as long as 2 and in rare cases during the holidays 3 days. Of course you'll enjoy the company of murderers, crooks and other degenerates while you dine on Bologna sandwiches and fruit drink.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
my source of info----Dominican Embassy here in Washington D.C...they may be wrong also but i would say they are credible...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
my source of info----Dominican Embassy here in Washington D.C...they may be wrong also but i would say they are credible...

Hahaha, screw the Embassy, he better have the consulate's number on speed dial:laugh: , cops will arrest you for anything, including "cracking wise" on them. But seriously, just carry proof on you, speak politely and you'll be on your way.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Hahaha, screw the Embassy, he better have the consulate's number on speed dial:laugh: , cops will arrest you for anything, including "cracking wise" on them. But seriously, just carry proof on you, speak politely and you'll be on your way.

Absolutely the best advise so far and if that fails call badpiece at 2am.

Sep 19, 2005
in any case it wont be as bad as if you got into an accident in the DR and were a US citizen!!!!!!!

just think about it....you are in a fatal car accident( your are not dead!!)... they cant assertain who is at fault at first... they have to be able to KNOW WHO YOU ARE... and maybe the cop cant read spanish...and cant verify if you have a PHONY DR license...the country is pretty corrupt..NO?

it just makes sense that they would not accept it .....but there are lots of things that dont make sense...even in america

tip:

dont drive like you do in the DR!!

I really have to CHECK myself, when I get back...I want to run every light and pass on the right on a one lane road...go as fast as I want.....

PS: azb....you dont have MY phone number do you?????

bob

May 12, 2005
Aftab, yes you can drive on your dominican license here. Just have your Dominican Passport with you as well. NY DMV does issue temporary visitor licenses with that clearly stated on them as well as what date they expire. But if only here for a week or so you don't need one. Of course if you don't break any traffic laws you won't be bothered by the police. If Badpiece isn't available for that emergency call, I might be if a few Presidentes come back my way.

Can someone please give me straight answers as to what the law says if someone visits NYC , atlanta and wants to drive with dominican license. I was just told last night by a friend of mine that I can't drive in NYC with my dominican license. I thought It was valid for 3 months just like we honor any foreign license here for 3 months.
I am a USA citizen but a resident of santiago, dominican republic. I hold no american license any more. My atlanta license expired 5 yrs ago. I have only dominican license. I plan on using this license to drive in NYC, atlanta, Morocco and in spain in march. Please give info. Thanks in advance.
AZB

Let me think about this for a minute????, A Pakistani with a Dominican license driving around NY chasing Dominican women all over the city stating he really is an American but lives in DR. Be careful buddy hope you don't end up in Guantanamo bay Cuba as an enemy combatant. :) ;)

Sep 19, 2005
Let me think about this for a minute????, A Pakistani with a Dominican license driving around NY chasing Dominican women all over the city stating he really is an American but lives in DR. Be careful buddy hope you don't end up in Guantanamo bay Cuba as an enemy combatant. :) ;)

NO he has only been declared an enemy combatant in.......

CANADA!!!!!!!!!:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

right ladies??? ha ha ha

bob

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
actually you don't need to drive to chase dominican women in NYC because most of them don't drive. they're on public transportation..additionally most dominican women can be found in only a few places in NYC, where there's money !!

same situation, different country, higher price....

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have been driving in NYC atlanta and in spain with dominican license but only problem was, the license had expired over 1 1/2 yrs ago. I never bothered to check. Yikexxxx. Thanks god I never got stopped anywhere.
I think I will call frank the tank and my main man badpiece in case of trouble.
AZB
P.S, frank please send your cell number via PM. thanks

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you want, I'll make you a copy of the "EXACT" VTL Section clarifying that the validity of foreign licenses and the definition of driving w/o a license (VTL 509), the officer can only charge you for an offense that falls under those definition.

If you are arrested (I've written hundreds of VTL related offenses for the BKLYN DA), best case scenario you'll be given a summons and sent on you way. worst case scenario (most likely to happen), you are arrested, vehicle towed, brought back to the precint so they can check for outstanding warrants(sometimes 3hrs), which means that you will have to be fingerprinted:tired: and then you will be sent home with a "C" Summons or a "DAT" Desk Apperance Ticket, whether the circumstances permit it. Then you will need someone with a "VALID" driver's license to pick up the vehicle, from the precint.

Happy Driving:bunny:
Yea, then you'll get your racial profiling, and they send you back to Pakistan. As long as you drive like you should in NYC and not the DR you should be alright.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
no on can send me to pakistan, unlike you, I am a US citizen.
AZB

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
So... u can drive in the US with a dominican drivers license???

the ones that we buy for a couple of thousands pesos... no questions asked. During theory "test" a girl comes to your computer and press the right answer... that one valid in the US??

Please somebody confirm

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Aftab, why ask the butcher when youi can stick your head up the cow?s ass, right?

I was in New York, rented a car from Avis, and they said "OF COURSE YOU CAN USE YOUR DOMINICAN DRIVERS LICENSE HERE! NO PROBLEM!"

Avis and Budget say the same thing in Florida and Texas. Avis wouldn?t hand their customers the keys to a $25,000 car if they hadn?t covered their asses, right? Invalid license = NO INSURANCE. No wonder some people are FORMER cops. They don?t know their axx from a hole in the ground.

I also DID talk to a cop there, and he said "OF COURSE YOU CAN, IF YOU ARE VISITING!"

Forget these xenophobes. A Dominican drivers license is just as good as that laminated piece of mierda from New York.

Sep 19, 2005
how about someone on a 6 month work visa?

can they drive in NY with their Dominican License????

I think it is a crap shoot....and the people who are supposed to know, dont. and the rental car companies are the same..maybe they THINK they are covered....just like a cop or a motor vehicle employee...they are SUPPOSED to know.

bob

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
It is legal according to book but in practice depend on cop's education level and knowlege. i think best bet is printing the page from ny DMV web site and get international drive license from DR if it exist ( serve as translation of you dr license ) and take residencial card with you proving that you reside foreign country. If you cannot get international driver license, get your DR license translated and make possiblity for the cop to read. By the way, non resident cannot get drive license, you need to provide SSN, immgration status, proof residency in state which visitor do not have normally. That is reason to allow visitor to drive with the license from home country

Status
Not open for further replies.