US Travel Advisory.....seems to be getting worse..........

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
.............according to my "Google Alert" the US travel Advisory changed in October 2006 and now has an alert regarding safety while driving that mentions the road from Santiago to Puerto Plata...............

Google Blogs Alert for: Puerto Plata

Dominican Republic~US Travel Advisory
By host
At least three of the reports indicate the victims were intercepted during the morning hours, when there was little other traffic, while driving on rural highways connecting Santiago and Puerto Plata. Drivers should exercise extreme ...

"In 2006, the U.S. Embassy has received reports of Americans and others who were victims of vehicular-armed robberies in the northern provinces of the Dominican Republic . At least three of the reports indicate the victims were intercepted during the morning hours, when there was little other traffic, while driving on rural highways connecting Santiago and Puerto Plata. Drivers should exercise extreme caution when driving at night and use major highways when possible. "
Dominican Republic

Last edited by a moderator:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I use those roads from time to time

Just going along slowly checking all out. It is sad to hear that it is no longer safe. I always thought those campo areas were safer than the city.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's always wise to check travel advisories from several governments.

So, here are several additional advisory reports from a few reputable governments, aside from the US which has been posted as the OP.

UK: "Whilst violent crime against tourists is rare, there has been an increase in armed muggings and robberies against the local population. You should take particular care if you are passing through isolated tourist areas on foot or on tourist scooters, particularly at night. If attacked, you are advised not to resist. You should take precautions to reduce the risk of being targeted. If you leave your hotel complex, do not wear expensive jewellery or carry large amounts of cash or expensive items such as cameras. Keep your valuables, including your passport in hotel safety deposit boxes. Be particularly careful after dark and avoid quiet, poorly lit areas."

UK's Travel Advisory for the Dominican Republic

Canada: "The security situation is stable, but demonstrations and protests occasionally occur. These are not targeted at foreigners and do not happen near the resorts. Canadians should exercise caution, monitor local news reports, and avoid large crowds and demonstrations. The crime rate is generally low, but violent crime, including assault, has affected a few foreigners. Petty crime is common. There have been incidents involving robbery, including in major resorts."

Also, this sentence made it to the Canadian travel advisory for the DR: "Avoid excursions that are not recommended by tour operators."

Canada's Travel Advisory for the Dominican Republic

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just going along slowly checking all out. It is sad to hear that it is no longer safe. I always thought those campo areas were safer than the city.
Perhaps those campos are still safer than the cities, but what they certainly are not is crime-free.

A crime-free campo is a thing of another Dominican Republic which didn't received a deluge of deportees, drug transhipment, moral devaluation, etc.

-NALs:ermm:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A crime-free campo is a thing of another Dominican Republic which didn't received a deluge of deportees, drug transhipment, moral devaluation, etc.

Oh NALS, sometimes you are so right!! Back in the Old Days....sad but so, so true!!

HB

C

Chip00

Santiago or Orlando

Keep it DR related please Chip. If everyone posts what is happening in their home towns in other countries, we will never get a DR related post. Rule of the board, keep it DR related.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Oh NALS, sometimes you are so right!! Back in the Old Days....sad but so, so true!!

HB
And, like me, the older we get, the better the Good Old Days were...

Things are never the same. One must adapt.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
polish travel advisory

out of curiosity i checked polish ministry of foreign affairs page.
here's what they say about travel in DR:

there is major danger of crime. no terrorist connections have been observed. the level of petty crime is lower than in europe or other latin american countries. tourist zones and beaches are monitored by security patrols. outside the resorts it is not advised to wear jewelery or carry large amounts of cash.

seems truthful. at least no: DO NOT STICK YOUR NOSE OUTSIDE THE RESORT stuff...

GForce209

Jan 1, 2002
Does it say "there is major danger of crime" or "there is no major danger of crime"

The first quote doesn't make much since when read with the rest of the advice.

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
No matter where you go, there is always a possibility of a crime going to take place but I will not allow this to spoil my trip! If it happens, you can only pray that you live to tell. What can you do?

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
I can not help but to laugh. How on earth does anyone allow robbery while they are driving? Are we saying wow look a guy with a gun lets pull over and ask him what he is doing.
I'm sorry but I can not fear being robbed if I am in a car or on a scooter. I don't stop until I get to where I have to go much less do I stop to pick up anyone. If I see a guy and he is in front of my car trying to get me to stop... Call that paramedics, someone just got hit by a car.

B

batich

I can not help but to laugh. How on earth does anyone allow robbery while they are driving? Are we saying wow look a guy with a gun lets pull over and ask him what he is doing.
I'm sorry but I can not fear being robbed if I am in a car or on a scooter. I don't stop until I get to where I have to go much less do I stop to pick up anyone. If I see a guy and he is in front of my car trying to get me to stop... Call that paramedics, someone just got hit by a car.

This trick is popular not only in DR but in many other countries. Someone hit your car from behind while you are driving. You stop to exchange insurance info and to call to police to make a report.
And when you stop - they attack you.

If you do not stop after the accident and keep driving - you do not get paid for the damage. You are in lose-lose situation.

If you are gringo - try to avoid driving in DR as much as possible. Your car is a very high risk potential liability and they know it very well.

Stay within a walking distance from supermercado, disco and beach.

Just one thousand feet away from a touristic area - and you are a very easy target.

Security wise it is a very tough time in DR now.

Bear

Aug 15, 2006
Foolish Advise

Good grief Batich, get real!!!!!!!!!
Most of us expats, yes gringos, that reside here full time do not live within
a 1000 feet of a super mercado and nor do we wish to do so. Also, most of
us drive cars or motorcycles and do not feel to be marked targets. I drive
country roads on a regular basis and never had a problem. All you have to
do is use some common sense just as you would in any country.
I do not drive unfamiliar roads at night, not because I feel isecure, but
because I can not see car swallowing pot holes in time to avoid them.
Hope you survive your stay here without being scared to death by your
shadow.
Bear

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
mrgood - please watch what you say about the Haitians as well as the Dominicans - and maybe take your opinions else where.

G

gary short

Actually folks the situation is deteorating daily in the DR.....Murder rape and robbery are the norm. I would suggest you flee immediately.........and..ahhh.....if you need to unload your realestate for......CASH..pm me..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
mrgood100, let me know about any property you have for sale ;) In fact, we can run the auction right here on DR1. Can anyone say 5cents on the dollar? There will be many people all too happy to relieve you of your property burdens in the DR.

As a side note .. keep this thread strictly DR related - if you don't your posts will be no more. Don't complain, you've been warned - about something that you should know by now anyways.

Last edited:
B

batich

Why you hate him this much?! He is saying things each of us know are true. And he has the right for his own opinion and conclusion.

How do you call the market condition when 50-60% of RE units are offered for sale (and keep so without success for years)? In my HO it is definitely NOT a sellers` market.

mrgood100, let me know about any property you have for sale ;) In fact, we can run the auction right here on DR1. Can anyone say 5cents on the dollar? There will be many people all too happy to relieve you of your property burdens in the DR.

As a side note .. keep this thread strictly DR related - if you don't your posts will be no more. Don't complain, you've been warned - about something that you should know by now anyways.