Dengue Fever

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Does anyone remember where the outbreak was last year? I just back from Africa and just before that I was in the DR.

I'm getting over the symptoms of Dengue. We're trying to figure out if I have it and where I got it if I do have it.

Where I was in Africa has it and I know the DR has it.

This was/is miserable!!!! I'm at the tail end of it at this point.

Thanks

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
2LeftFeet,

DENGUE FEVER IS NO JOKE. Please do not tell me that you are trying to find out if you have it or not by reading about the symptons.

YOU MUST GO TO A DOCTOR RIGHT NOW even if you suspect you have it. While I was ill in the DR they brought in a 16 year old boy and he died the next day. Why? because his parents didn't have the means to hospitalize him. They waited until the last minute.

PLEASE GO TO A DOC PLEASEEEEEEE!!!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I went to the doctor. I'm being treated. Which there is no treatment. It's suffering!!! That's the treatment. I'm going for a bunch of tests today. THank God I'm at the end of it. If it is it it's the milder bone breaking form--not the bleeding type.

We're trying to figure where I could have gotten it. Both places have it.

Thanks for your concern.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
where............

I went to the doctor. I'm being treated. Which there is no treatment. It's suffering!!! That's the treatment. I'm going for a bunch of tests today. THank God I'm at the end of it. If it is it it's the milder bone breaking form--not the bleeding type.

We're trying to figure where I could have gotten it. Both places have it.

Thanks for your concern.
i had the milder type aroun 6mts ago.was definitly bitten out in sabanetta(cabarete)then was down in sto.domg for a few days.i was at the tail end of a very bad flu but woke up one evening with the really high fever and aching from head to toe.
i took some asprin to try and break the fever but it dident work.after i was cured i read a pamplet that said it was DANGEROUS to take asprin while sick.
as you said there is no cure only rest and fluids and an ingredient that begins with a(something like asphetemen?).its found in advil.yes,plain old advil.
i went to a pharmacy(delerious)and explaind my symptoms and this is what the pharmacist recomended.within 20 minutes my fever had gone down and so too the muscle aches.
i contuned with the advil,3 sachets of two pills every day for 3 days and it then went away.
thanks be to God it did as i dont have medical insurance.its a bloody horrible sickness and i thought i was on my way out with the fever.i felt so bad i wouldent have really minded.
so give the advil a try.it saved my @zz.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I have never felt so much pain in my body. My joints and muscles are/were killing me. My head felt like it was going to explode!

She recommended Advil and it worked wonders! I've been taking it.

The Dengue Test is $650 Expensive!!!!

At least I'll be immune to ... something else :)

Thanks for your suggestions!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
as you said there is no cure only rest and fluids and an ingredient that begins with a(something like asphetemen?).its found in advil.yes,plain old advil.

That would be acetaminofen (in spanish). If I'm not mistaken it's what you find in Tylenol or similar medicin and on the news they mentioned that it's the best stuff you can take for Dengue.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
That would be acetaminofen (in spanish). If I'm not mistaken it's what you find in Tylenol or similar medicin and on the news they mentioned that it's the best stuff you can take for Dengue.

acetaminofeno is also known as paracetamol

I had a bad bout of dengue fever two years ago. Later, I found out that in a neighboring community (Los Mangos de Cuca) dengue fever had caused several fatalities. However, the local health authorities never informed the families of the deceased the cause of their deaths, or how to protect themselves from the disease (mosquito nets, sealing water containers, avoidance of acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) to treat fever, etc.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Toradol is the standard treatment (along with IV fluids) for the more severe forms of Dengue (I luckily survived the hemmorhagic form several years ago- probably because I was already taking oral Toradol for an existing condition).
By the time I was appropriately diagnosed the virus was already out of my system so didn't show up on the blood tests (it only hangs around for 5 days so if it's longer than that it won't be found in the blood) however my platelet levels as well as my appearance were a dead give away for the very experienced Dr. who finally diagnosed it properly and immediately commenced the treatment that probably saved my life.
There are outbreaks in almost every area of the DR at various times during the year depending a lot on rainfall patterns although Santo Domingo is a hot spot almost all year round.

Last edited:

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
So everyone, everywhere in the DR is fair game!!!! It's a very scary disease!

My doctor is pretty knowlegeable about it. She had it as well. She contracted it in Mali, Africa. What I recently read-- not that it matters especially to you anymore but they can do an anti-body test to see if you have been exposed to it.

One of the drug companies is doing a clinical trial for a Dengue vaccination. They won't accept you into the program if you have been exposed to Dengue or Yellow Fever (vaccicine included).

I was thinking about volunteering to (A)-- find out cheeply if I had been exposed and (B) to get the vaccine but I've had the Yellow Fever vaccine.

I'm glad to see that you are still with us!!

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
I've had non-hemorrhagic dengue three times, once in Asia, twice in Puerto Rico. A definitive test did not exist. It's the double peak fever that defines it, if you're also in a zone where many similar are being reported and the right mosquitos exist there. "Break-bone" fever is the West Indian name, and it's a good one. It's not usually fatal except in old and infirm and infants, if it's hemorrhagic. It just feels fatal. It may be confused with some para-typhoids, even cholera, which I've also had -- it's the double peaked fever that tells.
The real danger is in having something ultimately worse for your system but thinking you had dengue and not treating it.