Dominican Lips

Animation

Jan 12, 2006
Here's a topic I haven't seen discussed, dominican lip pointing to signify direction. The first time I saw a guy do this on the street I was surprised and confused. Later I saw other people doing it to when they wanted to tell you to look at something they would point at it with their lips. Is this a common caribbean thing or is it unique to the DR?

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Lol...I love this about the DR....all of my friends do this and we have nicknamed it the 'Dominican pout!' I do it when I am there and my bf finds it hilarious! I love the way they whistle for people too....and the right person knows it is for them!!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
The people on the other islands that I have been to haven't done it. I've only seen Dominicans do it. That's my experience.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
They also use the pout to mean "what did you say???" or "can you repeat that", usually accompanied by a furrowing of the forehead, a flare of the nostrils, and a general "do you smell that?" look... :glasses:

engels64

Feb 27, 2007
A Dominicanism

This is most definitely something that identifies a Dominican from other cultures. We point with our mouths!! We also do the same to say hi to people we barely know. It's like saying "what's up" with our lips!!! Funny!

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
so funny!!

I was with a friend at a bar watching a baseball game and he did this lip thing to get my attention--wanted me to see a play of the game--I laughed--said what the heck are you doing with your mouth? Then he tried to teach me how to do it--it's not as easy as it looks--I definitely could not move my lips as fast as he could!

The other thing I noticed was that they do a hand gesture if they want to talk to someone who is a distance away--instead of yelling or whistling--they hold up their hand and touch the thumb to the fingers-like a mouth flapping.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ya se hablo....

Here's a topic I haven't seen discussed, dominican lip pointing to signify direction. The first time I saw a guy do this on the street I was surprised and confused. Later I saw other people doing it to when they wanted to tell you to look at something they would point at it with their lips. Is this a common caribbean thing or is it unique to the DR?
I believe it was discussed before but since there are a few newbies, it's nice to talk about it again.

What about when you ask for an address and all they do is raise their arm, point their index finger towards a direction and say: "Eso queda por aya'".

No "turn this way" or "turn that way". It's like you should know what "por aya'" means.

Funny schit....

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I believe it was discussed before but since there are a few newbies, it's nice to talk about it again.

What about when you ask for an address and all they do is raise their arm, point their index finger towards a direction and say: "Eso queda por aya'".

No "turn this way" or "turn that way". It's like you should know what "por aya'" means.

Funny schit....
Many times they make it seem as if the place you are looking for is just around the corner when in fact you are kilometers upon kilometers away.

-NALs:cheeky:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Pue' si.....

Many times they make it seem as if the place you are looking for is just around the corner when in fact you are kilometers upon kilometers away.

-NALs:cheeky:
You got that right!.

What about when you ask them, while they are driving, "how long before we get there?" and they answer, "in 5 minutes".

Then when everything is said and done, you find out that those "5 minutes" turned to 2 HOURS!!.

El diablo contra....

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
This is so true! My partner does this all the time when I ask how long a journey will take, he'll say 5 mins so I'll assume that it's within walking distance and then it turns out to be half an hour by car!
As for the lip thing, I'm not sure if it's just a dominican thing. I've seen members of my own family do this (we're the other dominicans - from Dominica) especially when they wanna be discreet when talking about someone.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've seen other nationalities do the pouting pointy gesture as well - at least, I know I definitely understood it the first time I saw a Dominican do it.
I'm not too keen on the wrinkly nose "what?" gesture, I have to confess.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think it was Chiri (on her blog) who argues that once foreigners start to use it, then they have become truly "aplatanado/a"

(blushing as he admits to doing it)
I would say they are in the process of aplanando :cheeky:, but not quite aplatanado just yet.

It's more than pointing with your lips, although if Chiri is getting weird looks every time she visits England with her newly acquired gestures.... well, that is a sign, big time!

-NALs

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
People have based entire PhD theses on topics like this, but it is a whole lot more interesting to actually see it in practice! I guess they never get out of the classroom. Body languaguage doens't always involve eyes, and tiwtching of the extremities does it. Seems to be a case in point. I love the lip thing. (no jokes please)

The lip pointing is a very in depth subject it could mean anything to directions,or pointing to a person to Yes or no to just about anything, it will take you years to learn all the meanings.

jro327

Mar 22, 2007
actually this is not just a dominican thing..i have also seen quite a few of my belizean coworkers do the mouth point thing.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've also noticed it being used as a non-verbal reaction during a group conversation - lips "pointed" at someone who's made some sort of statement, eye contact with a third party, and the meaning is more or less "isn't s/he talking a load of BS".

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I definitely could not move my lips as fast as he could!

This might be a clue as to why women get hooked on Dominican men ahhhh????? ;) ;) ;)

Sorry back to topic...I agree with everyone. When I think about it it's funny. I do it all the time without even noticing.

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
I've also noticed it being used as a non-verbal reaction during a group conversation - lips "pointed" at someone who's made some sort of statement, eye contact with a third party, and the meaning is more or less "isn't s/he talking a load of BS".

OMG, I do this all the time!