When is the End of the Curfew?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
When will they finally remove the damn curfew. Sux.

Hopefully never, I think most residents like it. It really isn't that bad. You just start a little earlier in the evening. Instead of things getting busy around midnight they now start around eight. If I lived in the DR near a colmado I would be happy to have them close early. Who really wants to hear music blasting all night long?

MrBoneznyc

Jan 10, 2004
You HAVE to be over 50!

What do you do if u just wanna keep partying and listening to music etc.?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hopefully never, I think most residents like it. It really isn't that bad. You just start a little earlier in the evening. Instead of things getting busy around midnight they now start around eight. If I lived in the DR near a colmado I would be happy to have them close early. Who really wants to hear music blasting all night long?
I agree, and for those who want to know, yes, I'm over 50, but I never wanted to listen to blasting music all night at any age, unless it was my own music.
Friggin bars around here play the music so loud, you can hear them half a mile away.
Normal people do want to sleep at night, and do not party every single night of the week.

drny

Jun 12, 2007
They should enforce the curfew on small neighborhood bars, colmados etc. which are in residential areas but at least let the larger discos and clubs which are on the outskirts of town and not near residences remain open at least a couple of hours later. I mean come on, who ever heard of discos and nightclubs closing early in the Caribbean - in a small nation that makes so much of it's GNP from tourist dollars & euros? It's self defeating.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
They should enforce the curfew on small neighborhood bars, colmados etc. which are in residential areas but at least let the larger discos and clubs which are on the outskirts of town and not near residences remain open at least a couple of hours later. I mean come on, who ever heard of discos and nightclubs closing early in the Caribbean - in a small nation that makes so much of it's GNP from tourist dollars & euros? It's self defeating.
In a perfect world, that might work, but here in the land of bribes, it would not.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I had heard that they have to remove the curfew in July, around the same time that they implemented it last year. The reason being that the curfew is not actual law, but a presidential decree, and they can only last one year, unless it is made law. this is what I had heard anyways, it's worth looking into.

As for the curfew, I disagree with the way it was implemented. It was a drastic measure designed to achieve quick gains, but could have long term consequences, both for tourism, and have social implications. 12 is way to early for a weeknight. If you work 9-5, or 9-6, by the time you get home it's 7, eat, shower, get ready, and wait for the women, its 10, get to the bar its 10:30, almost makes it not worth it. The other factor is that not everyone has their weekend on sat-sun, why shouldnt they be allowed to party on weeknights. It wasn't clearly thought out. If you take a look at england, they are implementing 24 hour licensing because of the anti social behaviour associated with an early last call - decrease the time people have to drink, they will drink more in a shorter time, leading to more drunk people.

Ideally the way this should have gone down is as follows: Colmados close at 12, they are located in residential areas and it's not fair to have them blasting their music at any hour. If people want to drink cheap booze, they can pick up a bottle at the colmado before midnight, and take it home with them.

Bars should be able to stay open at least until 2am on weekdays, 4am weekends, perhaps even allowing special permits for places to go on afterhours, provided they are not within residencial areas.

The implementation of the cindarella decree is practically the only aspect of law in the DR that you can see constantly enforced, I don't think they would have a problem enforcing only bars to stay open later. As mentioned there are a lot of people who go on vacation in places expecting to party till sunrise, not being able to will leave a sour taste in their mouths, and cause bad publicity for the country.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The curfew and increased taxes are hurting the brewers and numerous businesses.
The wishful hope that everybody would just start earlier is apparently not the reality for many establishments.
I recently read somewhere that they are going to lower the taxes.
I would have thought this less likely than extending the curfew so maybe that will be next.

Personally, I think the curfew is ridiculous but it's not an issue for me.
I can get in more than enough drinking in the day, afternoon, and evening, plus the resort is 24 hours and Mangu goes until .... I don't even know but it is very late.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
What's wrong with this picture?

Even in staid New England where I reside, the bars stay open til 2AM. Hard to believe that the hedonistic DR would outdo us vis a vis Puritanism. Too, I find it incredible that Sosua bars are open until 1 AM on weeknights while the places in Santo Domingo, the most cosmopolitan of DR cities, all close religiously at midnight.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Hopefully never, I think most residents like it. It really isn't that bad. You just start a little earlier in the evening. Instead of things getting busy around midnight they now start around eight.

Theoretically, yes. I agree that Dominicans do not make a lot of fuss about the rule, but starting a little earlier hasn't happened. Clubs and bars are still not full before 11 am, which means just very reduced party time.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Even in staid New England where I reside, the bars stay open til 2AM. Hard to believe that the hedonistic DR would outdo us vis a vis Puritanism. Too, I find it incredible that Sosua bars are open until 1 AM on weeknights while the places in Santo Domingo, the most cosmopolitan of DR cities, all close religiously at midnight.
Can't compare it with English pubs, there the closing times are just for pubs, clubs are allowed to stay open a lot longer.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Friggin bars around here play the music so loud, you can hear them half a mile away.

amen to this !!! they should have a presidential decree on loud music. if i can hear it a long distance away, what does it sound like when i walk through the door ? :ermm:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I really hope the government does NOT remove the curfew !!! It is a wonderful measure, and I am well under 50 !!!

Right now, there has been so much crime in the main touristic areas, that I doubt they'll remove it...

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Crime can tell time? Personally, I don't mind the curfew, there's a ton of fun to be had before midnight and it allows me to get to bed early so I can enjoy the next day!

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Ever think that increased tourist dollars spent off the resort might help deter crime? Or even the fact that there are people out later will deter, as in there might be witnesses around to prevent people from doing break-ins, rather than having everyone aslpeep?

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Now there's a concept I missed completely. More drunks wandering around late at night = more security. Why didn't I think of that? :)

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Well maybe you didn't read my earlier post. But actually an earlier last call leads to more severe drunkeness. This may not have set in yet, as the curfew is not very old. But if it were to stay, you'd see people putting back as much as they can before midnight, due to a limited amount of drinking time - this leads to more alcohol related violence than you would have with a more lax drinking law. Sounds crazy but it's true. Why do you think they would be implementing 24h licensing in england, to promoto more hooliganism?

As for the loud music, you old guys will start losing your hearing soon enough - and you don't have to sleep with your hearing aid on :p

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
if you can not find someone to take home to bed, in this country!!!!!, by midnight, you are such a loser and should just kill yourself.............