cash machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

linny1

Nov 7, 2007
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there are cirrus or link cash machines in Sosua, we are coming out in January and want to know that if we run out of cash we can use cash points or whether to bring english money and change it while we are there.
Thanks
Lin :

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there are cirrus or link cash machines in Sosua, we are coming out in January and want to know that if we run out of cash we can use cash points or whether to bring english money and change it while we are there.
Thanks
Lin :

Hi there are Cirrus cash machines in Sosua I remember using mine when I was last there, tell us where you are staying and I'm sure some of the locals on here can tell you the nearest one to your hotel.

Enjoy your holiday, its a lovely place!

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Hi Lin

I'm English and have spent a total of 20 weeks in the DR on various holidays. I have always relied on ATMs (cashpoints) without problem, but be aware that scams and technical malfunctions are much commoner in the DR than in the UK.

Your card may be "eaten". For this reason try to use an ATM outside a bank in your own area and during opening hours so you can seek immediate assistance. You may have to return later to reclaim your card and will need your passport. If you use a stand-alone hole-in-the-wall ATM getting your card back could be a real nightmare.

Many of the ATMs at smaller banks have a low maximum payout (RD$3000 or RD$5000, which will not last you long). While it is sensible not to carry too much cash around, this may be an uneconomical way of drawing money if you are charged a flat withdrawal fee. I believe Banco Popular always pays out at least RD$10000 but perhaps more knowledgeable posters can expand on this?

I prefer to use ATMs where there is an armed guard nearby. Less chance of the machine being tampered with or of being jumped while I am hiding away the cash.

When entering amount, enter an "odd" amount such as RD$9900 (rather than RD$10000). This will provide you with some smaller denomination banknotes. Small change is hard to come by in the DR.

Use normal common-sense precautions like checking the machine for any suspicious looking "add-ons". Never accept help from others in using the machine. If you see persons loitering near the ATM, come back later or use another one.

Remember to carry your card's appropriate "help" and "fraud prevention" telephone numbers with you so that you can immediately ring to the UK if your card is lost or stolen.

If you have online banking facilities, check your account from time to time at an internet caf? for reassurance. ATMs often run out of cash but sometimes still debit your account, so if one fails to pay out, check your account online (remembering that it may typically take 3 to 5 days to show a withdrawal).

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Red dots mark the ATM's in El Batey, Sosua.

aaaaa600x345.jpg

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Hi Lin
If you have online banking facilities, check your account from time to time at an internet caf? for reassurance. ATMs often run out of cash but sometimes still debit your account, so if one fails to pay out, check your account online (remembering that it may typically take 3 to 5 days to show a withdrawal).

Very good post on ATMs but I just can't recommend this last part, logging on to your bank account on some public computer is asking for trouble....

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Check account electronically?

Very good post on ATMs but I just can't recommend this last part, logging on to your bank account on some public computer is asking for trouble....

When in Sosua I'd feel safe doing it at Rocky's and deleting the track from the History afterwards. Or am I being naive?

TheArtMan

Oct 7, 2007
I was just there 2 weeks ago. The on Rocky's map B1 is the closest. I used it on several occasions (100,000 peso limit I think). Anyway I left my card in that ATM by mistake. I had no issues, no charges, nothing.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I was just there 2 weeks ago. The on Rocky's map B1 is the closest. I used it on several occasions (100,000 peso limit I think). Anyway I left my card in that ATM by mistake. I had no issues, no charges, nothing.
That would be the Banco Popular.
The limit might be 10K pesos. 100K is approx. $3,000 US.
FYI: That is the bank that always has the most ATM issues, and the one we recommend the least.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
linny1,

London777, hit the nail on the head everything that was mentioned in that post was really good information.
We are going to be in Casa Marina in January too at some point. If I need to use an atm I use the Scotia Bank on Pedro Clisante is Cirrus which is not far from Casa Marina and if you need help you can always go inside and they are more than willing(providing it is during banking hours, which everyone strongly suggests)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
If I need to use an atm I use the Scotia Bank on Pedro Clisante is Cirrus which is not far from Casa Marina and if you need help you can always go inside and they are more than willing(providing it is during banking hours, which everyone strongly suggests)

If the OP has an account with Barclay's Bank any ATM transaction with Scotia Bank is free of charges I believe.

Scotia Bank has agreements with a number of banks including Bank of America and Barclay's Bank. I have a Bank of America account and if I make ATM withdrawals at other banks say Banco Popular or BHD the charge is something like $5 US plus 1% of the transaction.

When I make a withdrawal at Scotia Bank the charge is zero.

You can withdraw up to 10,000 pesos at an ATM or 25,000 with a teller per day at Scotia.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
machines

ok, I've used the outside ATM's at banks plenty of times before in Puerto Plata but how does that work at Scotia Bank withdrawing with the assistance of a teller? Is it the same as going to my own bank here in Canada? I'm getting a little bit nervous about making withdrawls from the ATMS now after reading about the scams and problems with the ATM machines in the DR. A safer backup plan for withdrawls would really put my mind at ease.

Thanks

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
ok, I've used the outside ATM's at banks plenty of times before in Puerto Plata but how does that work at Scotia Bank withdrawing with the assistance of a teller? Is it the same as going to my own bank here in Canada? I'm getting a little bit nervous about making withdrawls from the ATMS now after reading about the scams and problems with the ATM machines in the DR. A safer backup plan for withdrawls would really put my mind at ease.

Thanks

You stand in line in show the teller a passport or cedula, the teller processes your card and gives you the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.