Bringing food into DR

vineyarder

Feb 27, 2008
We wil be travelling to DR next mionth (flying into Punta Cana) and I need to know what restrictions there are on bringing food into DR, as several members of our party have dietary restrictions. Obviously we wouldn't bring any fresh fruit or plants that could harbor pests, but will we be allowed to bring in frozen foods in a cooler?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi,

I never bring frozen food, but I have never had a problem bringing food in. Specifically, I bring cheese, nuts, popcorn (Microwave kind), energy bars, sometimes grapes, apples.

It's not OK to take food out of the DR into the States for example, but bringing in I have never even been stopped.

Hope this is helpful.

Ro

Aug 21, 2007
I know of people who bring coolers of frozen meat into the country. The cooler is small and fits inside a suitcase. Other people bring sealed, pre-cooked meats such as pepperoni or tuna fish (don't ask me why.) None of my friends have had problems. But that is not saying you won't, either. That is the chance you take.

I have been in the little customs room when I brought my dog into the country. They have charts posted all over the office saying what meats and other foods are forbidden for casual travelers.

I guess it is do what you want at your own risk.

Having said that, almost any food item you may want/need is available in this country, especially if you are traveling to a touristy area.

Good luck.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Why not list what foods you need.......

vineyarder;612305)several members of our party have dietary restrictions. Obviously we wouldn't bring any fresh fruit or plants that could harbor pests said:
Then some of our PC posters can let you what is available and where to get it? :bunny:Or at least you'll know what you really need to carry!

vineyarder

Feb 27, 2008
Why not list what foods you need.......Then some of our PC posters can let you what is available and where to get it? :bunny:Or at least you'll know what you really need to carry!

Well, we have people that are vegetarian and want to bring in things like veggie burgers/Boca Burgers, tofu, and morningstar 'fake chicken patties', and people who keep kosher and need kosher beef and chicken. My understanding was that these items might be hard to find, especially in the area near Punta Cana... Thoughts?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Being vegetarians, they should easily recognize the abundant fresh fruits and vegetables on the roadside stands. Boca burgers will look like the chickens that they are. Fish sticks are probably sticks of fish(which they are), and soy products are non-available. Vegans, knowing everything about world hunger, world peace and world diet(especially 3rd world diet) of course will know all of this already(which makes them such great world travelers)!.

vineyarder

Feb 27, 2008
Being vegetarians, they should easily recognize the abundant fresh fruits and vegetables on the roadside stands.

Yes, hence the comment that we wouldn't need to bring any fresh produce; it is protein sources that we are concerned with...

Boca burgers will look like the chickens that they are.
?????? Boca burgers are not chicken (nor do they look like chickens); they are made from soybeans, onions, and mushrooms; the question is whether they are available in the grocery near punta cana.....

Fish sticks are probably sticks of fish(which they are)
??????? Not sure what this is referring to, as I didn't mention fish, sticks, or fish sticks!

So back to my original question; does anyone know what the customs regulations are regarding bringing frozen meat or frozen soy products into DR?

And in response to MommC's excellent suggestion, does anyone know if the following specific products are available at the grocery store near punta cana:

A) Kosher beef and/or chicken?
B) Veggie burgers or other soy-based psuedo-meats?

Thanks!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Appetite

...customs regulations are regarding bringing frozen meat ....
As far as I know one needs to have a license to bring meat products in.
I know of several cases when tourists had (tinned) meat and sausages and/or fruits (apples) taken away from them.

Depending on the individual custom officer's appetite or mood it may not happen to you, however.

m'frog

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'm going to go out on a limb here.......

I followed a restricted VEGAN diet for 18 months after my MI which included roughly 10 months of "Life in the DR".

Being within an hour drive of Santo Domingo made it fairly easy to find things like tofu (which after a few tries I refused to eat). I have never eaten Boca Burgers etc....as I didn't like them.

How long are you going to be here??

I got my protein from beans, brown rice, whole grains and veggies (yes some of them do have protein!).

My greatest challenge was B12 which only comes from animal sources, fermented soy products (think soya sauce, miso, tempeh) and Algae (more commonly known as seaweed).

Thankfully Asiatica in Santo Domingo had all of the fermented soya and dried seaweed.

So let me know how long you will be here for and I'll give you some suggestions for the vegetarians.

Are you staying in a resort??

If so have your travel agent contact the head chef of the resort for the kosher items.....they should be able to accomodate you.

If not your travel companions will have to 'kosher' their own meat. It really isn't that difficult and I personally know orthodox Jews who live in an isolated community in Canada who do all their own koshering.

Your friends will have to bring the needed utensils (although they might be able to buy them here) and a few pounds of kosher salt (which can be found here but not easily and not all the time!)

Waiting to hear back from you.......:bunny: