How much is legal?

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
I was about to walk from this truck to my car after puchasing some bannans when I felt this tugging at my pocket. I grabbed and swung around feeling a crunch and hearing whine to see this man run off with my cellular phone ( this is midday 2:00 ). I also saw another man running with the first with his hand in his pocket wide wild eyed. I think I must have broken the guys wrist hence the whine I got to my car and decided not to pursue the fellows, however I did have the phone cut off. I have not received my carry permit yet, but how far could I have gone by law with impunity?

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I don't know about DR , but in the states you would probably be in big trouble using deadly force when the doer doesn't have a weapon, even though you are mad, is a cell phone or anything, monitary, worth the chance, of possibly your freedome ??????????????????????

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Retired, 32yrs Phila. police, Training, 38yrs ago, shoot to kill, training 10yrs ago, shoot to incopacitate ( shoot to kill ) In the US or especially DR, you could be supporting that leg-less person for the rest of their life, hahahahaaaaa My legs aren't working too good lately, so if you got enough money, it might be worth it, especially if I were Dominican.It beats a ride in a boat !!!!!!!!!@!!@!

Last edited:

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
Shoot to kill over a cell phone ? I know it is terribly frustrating for someone to help themselves to your property, but come on. Sometimes you gotta think and act differently than the poor starving people of DR.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
what law? "Go West young man, the wild wild west"

I have not received my carry permit yet, but how far could I have gone by law with impunity?

Well, I guess, by asking the question of how far "you could have gone" with your loaded gun and your stolen cell phone problem you are assuming the "laws" in the DR are way different from countries the have real laws(AKA enforceable laws). So judging from some of answers you have already received I guess you might want to consider the following:
1) Shoot to kill the perp or any other bystander that might be in the way.With the current price of cell phones ranging from $25 -$100 you got to do what you have to do.If you don't kill someone at least you just might paralize them with a good shot to he spine.
2) Apply for carry permit and join the police force where you will have full impunity in a country that has zero value placed on a life. In this way, you will be able to show those bastardos they ain't robbing your piece!
3) Join a polictical party in anticipation of having to bail your heiny out of a dank, 3 foot x 5 foot hell hole in one of the finer prisons of your host country.

These are a few options but I am sure there are plenty more once you get your permit.
Good luck and "See you at the corral"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While the mutha-f***ers have killed dozens robbing cell phones, it is not a good idea to kill them...
Does this seem strange??

Anyway, unless you are very very well connected, it is probably not a good idea. I do hope you broke his wrist...

I do not hold with mutilation either, no matter how much we'd like to do it. Like one poster said you'd probably end up supporting the creep for the rest of your life..

Now, if you could do it and get away with it...then that is another matter.....

HB

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I was robbed, point of 2 guns by 2 males about 10 years ago, they got 80 some us $ and my friends cell phone, I was happy not to get shot, hospital and all and decided not to get in a shootout with my 6 shot revolver while they were running away. I still think it was a good decision not to shot them in the back or get into a shootout, especially being off duty, then the newspapers and what I should have done, shouldn't have done, it's just not worth it, let it go and be glad it wasn't worst.....I think I'm more of a man by thinking, than reacting....... still here in Philly .......