Is it true that a person should not flush toilet paper down toilets in the DR?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
I just discovered some new information that said that a person should not flush toilter paper down toilets in the DR due to the low sewage pressure. If I live in Santo Domingo, then I should never flush toilet paper down the toilets? The article said people keep a special container by the toilet for toilet paper.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
bienvenidos a la republica dominicana!
3dflags_dom0001-0002a.gif

Last edited:
A

apostropheman

I suspect that it's not really an issue in any modern area in the DR, pero en el campo o barrio...the plumbing and septic system may really not be able to handle much paperwork :D

DomLou

Jun 10, 2004
but most dont flush it down the toilet, even in the capital. i saw a sign on a newer hotel bathroom saying the same, to throw soiled toilet paper in the trash, and not to flush...

A

apostropheman

In reality modern toilet paper dissolves very rapidly in water and is not a legitimate issue to any but the worst, most antique plumbing. This putting the paper in the basket habit is not based in reality IMO...and I did inquire of a plumber in the past to verify that my feelings were accurate. It's based on generations old perceptions and not fact...even taking into account the state of the drainage systems in the DR...still shouldn't be an issue.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have noticed a lot of bathrooms in the country where they put the paper in the wastebasket.
Everywhere I have lived since arriving here, I had good enough plumbing to flush the paper away.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If it's your own house & all the pipes are located under the ceramic floor, you do not want to run the risk of a blockage which could mean taking the floor up..........:cheeky: Damage control! Can't exactly call Dyno-Rod out here so try and avoid the problem happening in the first place. The problem in older houses is the narrow nature of the pipes used as well.

A

apostropheman

I confess...
I have noticed a lot of bathrooms in the country where they put the paper in the wastebasket.
Everywhere I have lived since arriving here, I had good enough plumbing to flush the paper away.
on my first trip, many years ago now, when I stayed at Rocky's I initially placed the dirty paper in the basket out of respect.

Then I asked him about it, got the real scoop, and tried to apologize to the chicas doing the cleaning :D ...Pero ellos no entendieron. :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
(Well, it sure was funny at the time ;))

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I think it's more an issue of filling the septic tanks with solid waste.

Yes the paper flushes, however it takes a whole lot longer to biodegrade in the holding tank and can clog up the 'filtrante'.
Anyone who knows a little of the workings of a septic system will understand what I mean.
Dominican septic systems are no where near the efficient models we use back home. I've seen how ours here in Juan Dolio is built and while it is very well built and efficient it needs fairly regular clean outs, which are almost unheard of back home.
I would have thought that the warm temps here would help the degradation process but having seen the system I understand why it doesn't.

(Not claiming to be a septic system maestro-just happen to know a bit about them)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't happen to have problems with the septic tank and never need it emptied, but even if I did, I would still ask people to flush the paper down, for health reasons, not to mention that it's a bit on the gross side.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I don't happen to have problems with the septic tank and never need it emptied, but even if I did, I would still ask people to flush the paper down, for health reasons, not to mention that it's a bit on the gross side.

You could always put that gigantic "hole" in the ground to the right of your casa to good use, It seems underutilized right now as a rebar depot. Why not fill it up slowly?

tambo'

;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
its all simple:
I throw paper in all bathroom toilets in all my 9 yrs of living here and it has never been clogged once. here is why it does get clogged.
Instead of using the toilet paper like we do in the rest of the world, the dominican use like a whole half of the toilet role and wrap it around their hand then wipe. I just don't understand this concept. Why would someone waste so much paper to wipe? They start wrapping paper around their hand until it become a big role around their 4 fingers and then they wipe. Then if you throw this huge role into toilet i am sure it will clog the pipes. This is why if a dominican goes to your bathroom like 2 or 3 times, the whole roll is gone.
Now if you used like 6 sheets of paper at once, then there is no worry about clogging the pipes. I have been doing this for 9 yrs already.
AZB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
its all simple:
I throw paper in all bathroom toilets in all my 9 yrs of living here and it has never been clogged once. here is why it does get clogged.
Instead of using the toilet paper like we do in the rest of the world, the dominican use like a whole half of the toilet role and wrap it around their hand then wipe. I just don't understand this concept. Why would someone waste so much paper to wipe? They start wrapping paper around their hand until it become a big role around their 4 fingers and then they wipe. Then if you throw this huge role into toilet i am sure it will clog the pipes. This is why if a dominican goes to your bathroom like 2 or 3 times, the whole roll is gone.
Now if you used like 6 sheets of paper at once, then there is no worry about clogging the pipes. I have been doing this for 9 yrs already.
AZB
I bet that people are going to jump all over you for saying that, but I too have seen it, not with guys, but chicas, doing that hand wrap, exactly as you describe.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
watch some dummy thinking in his little mind: How do you know all that?????
Well genious, there is no rocket science involved. The hand wrap gift will be there in the waste basket. Like rocky says, mostly girl do this.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Most Dominicans(incl the gov't) will tell you to not throw the toilet paper in the toilet. The reasons are due to a number of reasons. One, the poor condition of the sanitary sewer system, two, to make things simple for the people, ie they might be confused as to what type of paper can be used and if the system is onsite or public - onsite systems clog up faster with paper of any kind because of the lack of a septic tank to separate the solids fom the effluent. Three, even though they have all of the plumbing equipment for large and small sewers here, they don't have the resources to be constantly using them.

As a civil engineer I am well familiar with sanitary sewer design, etc. and I personally throw the paper down the toilet wherever I go and have never have had a problem. Therefore, even though the sanitary systems here are suspect, given the low number of foreigners I say toss it down the toilet as long as it is a public system. If it is an onsite system, depending on the state of the sewage pit, it may or may not affect it. The sandier soil one has on their property, the better though.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Azb Spot On

AZB
:bunny: My step son even put,s the paper in the toilet first :ermm: use,s half a roll in one sitting :mad::angry:

J

John Evans

can we stop this now - im having horrible visions- by the way if you have been to greece they do it there also and have the lovely toilets with just handles and a hole that one squats over

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
its all simple:
AZB

All that toilet paper for one sitting :classic: I guess this is why people say that Dominican people are some of the cleanest people in the world. I love the Dominican people even with all their oddities.