Plasma/LCD mounting

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena has been a very good girl;) and has just received a very nice raise!
So, in February (when the raise will take affect) Shalena would like to treat herself to a 42" LCD TV and Blu-Ray DVD player....
I want my TV on the wall, I do not want ANY cords/wires visible. Is this possible with these concrete homes here? If so, does anyone know a reliable person who does mounting? I want the job to look beautiful, like in a magazine....NO VISIBLE WIRES/CORDS! Like a picture frame...
Also, I called my cable company and they told me that I have to buy some apparatus for the cable because I already have 4 Tvs with cable in my house, does anyone know what that is? And will it hinder the "clean look" that I am going for?
I am technologically impaired so I would appreciate some help....The person would have to be "de confianza", in other words please do not refer the guy you heard about while getting your hair cut. The LAST thing I need is for someone to hook up my TV and then come back to rob me at night!
Thanks so much guys!
SHALENA

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Shalena,

I know someone who can do the job. He worked at my house. I needed a lots of rewiring and installing coax cables. He also mounted my sat. antenna.
Depends on the wiring in your house, it might required to cut into the walls to get the wires to the right place, since you want them to be hidden.
When you will be back in the DR let me know and I will hook you up with him.
Also, the TVs won't come with the wall mount and the HDMI cable, so don't forget to get those also!!
Congratulations for the raise!

TheHun

TheHun

May 4, 2008
One more thing. I don't know if you have a good surround system. If you don't - since you are buying blue ray - I'd suggest this: Buy the Samsung HT-BD2ST 7.1 Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Blu-ray DVD Home Theater System and other Home theater systems at circuitcity.com

This is a Samsung 7.1 system, and includes the blue ray player. I have the same, so you can see / try it. It comes in a huge box and you have to "smuggle" in by pieces.
Since your children might like a Playstation 3, it also has a blue ray player.

TheHun

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Whoa...that surround system is pricey! Are there any a little less expensive? I will probably have to call you when I am ready to go and buy because I know absolutely nothing of these things. I just know that I want it to look clean cut and I want the picture definition like we saw at your house on your player. Or can I buy the surround sound at a later date or is it best to do it when you buy the TV and player?
SHALENA

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
Shalena,I just bought a 52" samsung,I highly recommend it,great pic and sound, and you arent paying for the Aquos or Bravia name brand...Mark

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena,I just bought a 52" samsung,I highly recommend it,great pic and sound, and you arent paying for the Aquos or Bravia name brand...Mark

Can you tell me where and for what price??? You can PM me if you want.
Was it in Santiago?
SHALENA

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Whoa...that surround system is pricey! Are there any a little less expensive? I will probably have to call you when I am ready to go and buy because I know absolutely nothing of these things. I just know that I want it to look clean cut and I want the picture definition like we saw at your house on your player. Or can I buy the surround sound at a later date or is it best to do it when you buy the TV and player?
SHALENA

Salena,

It includes the blue ray player and the sound system. Sure, you can buy them separate. But if you plan to buy a sound system later it would be better to prewire the house for it now also. You have to clean up only once.. ;)
I can help you to find a good Samsung LCD. Do you want to buy it here or in the US?? The latest models here will cost you 3x of the US price but you don't have to worry about shipping, duty, taxes and warranty.
Are you in the US now?

TheHun

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Salena,

It includes the blue ray player and the sound system. Sure, you can buy them separate. But if you plan to buy a sound system later it would be better to prewire the house for it now also. You have to clean up only once.. ;)
I can help you to find a good Samsung LCD. Do you want to buy it here or in the US?? The latest models here will cost you 3x of the US price but you don't have to worry about shipping, duty, taxes and warranty.
Are you in the US now?

TheHun
That makes sense...I plan to buy the TV there because I have no patience when it comes to shipping things to the DR. Yes, I am in NYC right now until friday.
SHALENA

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Walmart has some good prices but generally speaking, Bestbuy always has good sales on these items.
make sure you buy the full HDTV 1080P resolution with 120mhz. The blueray can be easily connected only by one cable HDMI.
Generally speaking, atlanta area stores have better deals than in NY and the tax is lower.
Good luck.
AZB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Walmart has some good prices but generally speaking, Bestbuy always has good sales on these items.
make sure you buy the full HDTV 1080P resolution with 120mhz. The blueray can be easily connected only by one cable HDMI.
Generally speaking, atlanta area stores have better deals than in NY and the tax is lower.
Good luck.
AZB

But after shipping, impuestos, etc....doesn't it come out about the same as if I buy it in Santiago? Without having to wait 3-4 weeks for my TV and losing the warranty? I would rather buy it at Best Buy or Wal-Mart but had heard only bad stories about shipping to DR.
SHALENA

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Now I get it. I thought you wanted to buy one in New york.
Ok here is the deal:
In santiago, they only have older models, 99% are below 52" screen and almost all are 720P resolution older generation HDTV models. They do have some 1080P in 40 inch plus size but they are not 120mhz format. So the fast motion on lcd screen would come out a bit blurred. Remember blue ray players are all 1080P resolution videos. Your 720P lcd will show the video but it would have to rescale it to your format, thus, losing in picture detail.
The prices of a good model in DR are simply outrageous. I bet if you buy a TV in atlanta (on sale) and then have it shipped to santiago via air cargo on non-priority, it will still come out cheaper than as if you buy it here. I think many brands do extend their warranty to foreign lands (example DR). The tax is free on upto 2500 dollars worth of electromncs in the month of december. So act fast.
Remember, plasma is a thing of the past. They consume too much current anyway. LCD is the real deal and their contrast level is the same as plasma now.
Buy a 52 inch model like samsung or some japanes model. They have good fluctuation voltage tolerance to work in DR.
AZB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Ok here is the deal:
In santiago, they only have older models, 99% are below 52" screen and almost all are 720P resolution older generation HDTV models. They do have some 1080P in 40 inch plus size but they are not 120mhz format. So the fast motion on lcd screen would come out a bit blurred. Remember blue ray players are all 1080P resolution videos. Your 720P lcd will show the video but it would have to rescale it to your format, thus, losing in picture detail.
The prices of a good model in DR are simply outrageous. I bet if you buy a TV in atlanta (on sale) and then have it shipped to santiago via air cargo on non-priority, it will still come out cheaper than as if you buy it here. I think many brands do extend their warranty to foreign lands (example DR). The tax is free on upto 2500 dollars worth of electromncs in the month of december. So act fast.Remember, plasma is a thing of the past. They consume too much current anyway. LCD is the real deal and their contrast level is the same as plasma now.
Buy a 52 inch model like samsung or some japanes model. They have good fluctuation voltage tolerance to work in DR.
AZB
I thought that that was only for Dominicans or Residents....I do not have my residency yet. Anyway, I can't buy in December yet so maybe someone can tell me what the approximate taxes would be on a 52" LCD? I have 2 free flights coming up from Jet Blue and American so I would like to go to Raleigh and buy it from Wal-Mart or Best buy.
SHALENA

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Ok here is the deal:
In santiago, they only have older models, 99% are below 52" screen and almost all are 720P resolution older generation HDTV models. They do have some 1080P in 40 inch plus size but they are not 120mhz format. So the fast motion on lcd screen would come out a bit blurred. Remember blue ray players are all 1080P resolution videos. Your 720P lcd will show the video but it would have to rescale it to your format, thus, losing in picture detail. ............
AZB

I bought a 32" Toshiba from PriceSmart, it is 1080I.

I was going to get a 42", but the prices are so high I decided to stick with the 32".

I have no idea about the specs you mentioned about 120 mhz format, and since I am out of the DR at this time, I can not look in the manual.

I did find the following info in regards to those specs:
24 frames per second is what movies are shot in so if you’re into haveing a true high def. movie experience, this is the TV for it. other 32″ LCD’s such as samsungs (not 1080p) run on 60 MHz so they have their movies artifically given 6 more frames persecond because 24 frames doesnt go into 60 evenly. the sony runs on 120 MHz and 24 and 30 both go into that evenly so it gets the true movie and TV frame rates right.

Thanks for the info AZB, next time I buy or a friend buys an LCD, we will take that into consideration.

PS: Looks like frame rate is something one should look at also when deciding to buy an LCD TV.....

Don - SantiagoDR

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Shalena,

Check out the following link. It's a 52" Samsung 1080P with a MSRP $2995.00
I bought my 40" TV from them. They are authorized Samsung dealer and offer free shipping within the US, but their store is in Manhattan at 39th and 5th Ave. so you can check it out personally. I don't now if their prices are the same in the store or not.

Here is the link: NEW Samsung LN52A550 52" 1080p LCD TV LN52A550 - eBay (item 170284580394 end time Dec-10-08 19:28:11 PST)

I don't think walmart or bestbuy are cheaper. When I bought my TV, bestbuy was $800 more!!

TheHun

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena,

Check out the following link. It's a 52" Samsung 1080P with a MSRP $2995.00
I bought my 40" TV from them. They are authorized Samsung dealer and offer free shipping within the US, but their store is in Manhattan at 39th and 5th Ave. so you can check it out personally. I don't now if their prices are the same in the store or not.

Here is the link: NEW Samsung LN52A550 52" 1080p LCD TV LN52A550 - eBay (item 170284580394 end time Dec-10-08 19:28:11 PST)

I don't think walmart or bestbuy are cheaper. When I bought my TV, bestbuy was $800 more!!

TheHun
Thanks!!! I work on 59th and 10th avenue, so maybe this week if I ever get a freakin' lunch or dinner break I can catch a cab there to see it...I may be able to squeeze the money out of my budget in January for that price!!!
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Now I just have to read all the old posts here on shipping a TV. But it is probably worth it because all of the 52" LCDs that I have seen in Santiago are about 3x that price...
SHALENA

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Thanks!!! I work on 59th and 10th avenue, so maybe this week if I ever get a freakin' lunch or dinner break I can catch a cab there to see it...I may be able to squeeze the money out of my budget in January for that price!!!
SHALENA

Salena,

Looks like we will have our residency next week. If you want to take advantage of the "no duty under $2500 in December" you can use my status. ship it to my address. Just make sure the law applies to provisional status.
In January the prices in the US will be better, however you have to pay duty here.

TheHun

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sking, if you wait a bit, I will get you the best deal in town. So wait, hold your horses and when I would recommend a TV and the price, it will be virtually unbeatable for that time period. I know these things very well. January will be the best time to buy as new models will be out and Tvs will be on sale. So just wait. I always check the prices and sales all over the net.
AZB