what exactly is a gringo?

owl41

Sep 18, 2009
Some of you may wonder why I'm putting this subject under men from mars.... it'll become clear in a second.

I have quite a few Dominican-American friends who have told me that Dominicans are very "complexion conscious" (to be politically correct). So my question is when it comes to gringos...is that a term applied to white americans only or black americans too? And do these sankies prey on both, or primarily white american women?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BAsically a gringo is any foreigner. However, sankies prey on anyone, light or dark who can improve their income. Skin color has little to do with it. As it happens, most of the women who are played are from Canada, (mostly Northern) Europe and the US, and, generally speaking they are white. But anyone with a different passport is a target.

And any "gringo" or "gringa" if fair game for the sanky/sankette..

HB

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
The white dutch, italian, canadian, americans etc are all gringos...the blacks are negros !
On my last trip two weeks ago on my last two days I had grippe, so all I did ( in Sosua ) was chilling in the shade and sipping lemonade all day...the chicos that worked on the beach called eachother everythime a turist walked by...as described above, they called them all "gringo" and the african americans were named...well, you get the picture.

owl41

Sep 18, 2009
korejdk.... this is something I know.... I was just wondering if, in the context of sanky'ing.... all americans, despite color, are fair game.... there's a lot of use of the word gringo in these threads and I was starting to seem as if they were only talking about white americans...or light skinned foreigners....It also seems from some of these threads that there woulb be no point in preying on a black american woman...what kind of status would a dominican man get from this? but I think that hillbilly's reqponse makes it clear that if the woman has something...or more....then the game is still the same despite color.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Any US, Canadian, European, etc. passport holder is fair game regardless of colour/race. Dominicans who have emigrated and hold an attractive foreign passport too, I'm sure.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Outside of Latin America where the term is used in my opinion more loosely-Canadians and other caucasions i have travelled with were always offended when being classed under the term gringo as they did not like being grouped and considered an American...Obviously from the prior posts you can see it is very objective. If you want a more detailed posibly accurate definition-here is wikis
Gringo is a Spanish word used in Mexico and other parts of Latin America, generally to denote people from the United States. The term can be applied to any person who is known, or assumed to be from the United States regardless of race, or it can denote a strong association or assimilation into American society and culture. The term in its functional use is mostly encountered by Americans traveling abroad to Spanish speaking countries.[citation needed] The American Heritage Dictionary classifies gringo as "offensive slang," "usually disparaging," and "often disparaging."[1] Hispanophones disagree on whether the term is derogatory.[citation needed]

The term is almost exclusively reserved for Americans; technically Canadians are not "gringos" though they are usually assumed to be from the United States regardless.[citation needed] What groups are more likely to be considered, or called "gringo" depends on the country where it is used. In Mexico, white and black people may be more readily thought to be Americans while Hispanic Americans may blend in. In Argentina, with its large Caucasian population, a white American may blend in while a black American may stand out as a "gringo".[citation needed] The opposite may be true in Caribbean or Central American countries.[citation needed]

Recorded evidence suggests it was used in Spain long before it crossed the Atlantic to denote foreign, non-native speakers of Spanish.[2] Although it has various anecdotal etymologies, and various connotative or interpretive meanings, its source appears to be "griego", the Spanish word for "a Greek person" that serves as a colloquial shorthand for any foreign (non-Spanish) person.[

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
again - I am at the same spot for the past 7 years on the Sosua playa, you all know the local operators...white gringo walks - action = " sir come here " etc etc, african american walks by = they don't bother
End of conversation , Period !

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
dont think so !Even I can tell a black gringo from a local,even a local thats moved to new york

Feb 15, 2005
In my opinion, gringos are white tourists and African Americans are called "Negro Americano or Moreno Americano". Just as in any country there is skin color distinction and racism and for sure Dominicans are very very skin color conscious. Let's be honest, just like any other Latin American country skin color allows for some status and DR is no different. When Obama was running, my Dominican friends would say "Oh hala gane el negro, me parece bueno" and they meant this lovingly and with no malice or disrespect in their intentions.

But that aside, from my experience in DR, when a local says "gringos" "gringa" what comes to mind is white to everyone within the conversation. I even know a Dominican woman nicknamed "Gringa" aptly named because she's white skinned.

While a African American is also a ticket to the States or Canada, what we are saying here is semantical: that Gringo/Gringa most definitely refers to a white tourist.

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've never been called a gringo (i'm black), this is neither positive or negative. i think dominicans do see american blacks as somewhat different because it's only been in the past few years that blacks have been fianancially able to afford trips to other countries. this can be backed up by the number of passports issued to US blacks as compared to other colors and countries. i think they may not approach you at first but eventually they will.
bottom line: the name of the game is $RD !!!!

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Gringo/Gringa most definitely refers to a white tourist.

I agree that "GRINGO/A" is used with the intent to describe someone who is white. Maybe on paper or by definition it implies otherwise, but in practice in the DR that's how it tends to work.

I do an interesting test on this. I carry around, in my agenda, a picture of my friends from the U.S. and I seated at a round table during a birthday party at Hard Rock SD. There are 3 white girls, one asian, one black and one mexican, but we were all born and raised in the U.S. I pull it out sometimes and ask Dominicans, 'which ones are the gringas?'. They always only pick the 3 white girls. Then they ask, 'is that your sister?' :cheeky:

There are Dominicans who go by the apodo (nickname) "gringo/a". They acquire it by having a light skin color.

And what about "pollos gringos", the SOLID WHITE chickens that are commonly sold here for meat?

Do the google image search test. Type in gringo or gringa and see what comes up. That could reveal a lot about what people PERCEIVE a gringo/a to be.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Me too, but....

I've never been called a gringo (I'm black), this is neither positive or negative. i think Dominicans do see American blacks as somewhat different because it's only been in the past few years that blacks have been financially able to afford trips to other countries. this can be backed up by the number of passports issued to US blacks as compared to other colors and countries. i think they may not approach you at first but eventually they will.

I am also a Black American and I have been referred to as gringo often ( I have also been referred to in different ways as well), which actually surprised me at first as I assumed a gringo was a White American. But as you say it is all good, as I notice that Dominicans often tend to refer to people by the color of their skin etc. (ie. Morena, Moreno, Rubia etc.), and they don't do it with the intention of anything derogatory.

Here are a couple of definitions along with the others that have been shared thus far:

n. Offensive Slang, pl., -gos.
Used as a disparaging term for a foreigner in Latin America, especially an American or English person.

[Spanish, foreign, foreign language, gibberish, probably alteration of griego, Greek, from Latin Graecus. See Greek.]

WORD HISTORY In Latin America the word gringo is an offensive term for a foreigner, particularly an American or English person. But the word existed in Spanish before this particular sense came into being. In fact, gringo may be an alteration of the word griego, the Spanish development of Latin Graecus, "Greek." Griego first meant "Greek, Grecian," as an adjective and "Greek, Greek language," as a noun. The saying "It's Greek to me" exists in Spanish, as it does in English, and helps us understand why griego came to mean "unintelligible language" and perhaps, by further extension of this idea, "stranger, that is, one who speaks a foreign language." The altered form gringo lost touch with Greek but has the senses "unintelligible language," "foreigner, especially an English person," and in Latin America, "North American or Britisher." Its first recorded English use (1849) is in John Woodhouse Audubon's Western Journal: "We were hooted and shouted at as we passed through, and called 'Gringoes.'"

then you also have this:

Gringo is a Spanish word used in Mexico and other parts of Latin America, generally to denote people from the United States. The term can be applied to any person who is known, or assumed to be from the United States regardless of race, or it can denote a strong association or assimilation into American society and culture. The term in its functional use is mostly encountered by Americans traveling abroad to Spanish speaking countries.[citation needed] The American Heritage Dictionary classifies gringo as "offensive slang," "usually disparaging," and "often disparaging."[1] Hispanophones disagree on whether the term is derogatory.[citation needed]

It kind of reminds me of the term, "Yankee", originally used by Southerners to refer to people from the north. To some it was a derogatory term, to others it was nothing more than for identification of where someone hailed from.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
i've never been called a gringo (i'm black), this is neither positive or negative. i think dominicans do see american blacks as somewhat different because it's only been in the past few years that blacks have been fianancially able to afford trips to other countries. this can be backed up by the number of passports issued to US blacks as compared to other colors and countries. i think they may not approach you at first but eventually they will.

I totally agree

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
A Mexican told me once it started in Mexico in the 19th century when white Americans invaded their territory, wearing green uniforms. Green Go.

Feb 15, 2005
Not to be argumentative, but in DR, the term Gringo/A does have to do with the color of your skin as there is no other way of denoting whether you are a foreigner or not. You can be a balck Dominican or Haitian and until you speak or act out of place there is no way of telling.
You put a pink skin woman/man in shorts and there is not doubt.

Sep 22, 2009
Funny stuff. Being a white Italian from NY, I grew up being referred to with various terminology. Living in Germany wasn't so bad, but Zurich was difficult. I found myself on the business end of numerous anti-American sentiments.

When I first came to DR in 2002, "gringo" irritated me because every Joe and his mother referred to me in that manner. It seemed incessant.

However, over the years, you learn that the Dominicans (and some other Latino cultures) use so many, what WE may perceive as derrogotory, terms to refer to friends, family etc.

A great example: When I was heavier, they called me "gordo". So I lost 35 pounds and they called me "flaco". The "gordo" irritated me a bit as well, but these are more terms of enderement than insult.

Today, I myself have adapted the term into my working vocabulary!

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Funny stuff. .......
A great example: When I was heavier, they called me "gordo". So I lost 35 pounds and they called me "flaco". The "gordo" irritated me a bit as well, but these are more terms of enderement than insult.

Today, I myself have adapted the term into my working vocabulary!

Great example and one I can relate to, when I used to be married to my Dominican wife and we lived in NY, she would refer to me as "Gordito", although I didn't like it, I knew she wasn't saying it in a derogatory way, but in an affectionate way, this was before the marriage went south, and before I lost 80 lbs. LoL.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Some of you may wonder why I'm putting this subject under men from mars.... it'll become clear in a second.

I have quite a few Dominican-American friends who have told me that Dominicans are very "complexion conscious" (to be politically correct). So my question is when it comes to gringos...is that a term applied to white americans only or black americans too? And do these sankies prey on both, or primarily white american women?
as far as I know,gingo is a term for americans,USA americans...neithe black or white...I was told it originated when the american army was invading the DR,dominicans would say....green go home...the color of uniform...morfed to gringo...
bob