Presidente Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

runmemphis

Nov 13, 2009
I'm a rookie traveller to the DR and looking forward to my upcoming trip. The Presidente Beer?? Is it light, dark, smotth, bitter, similar to a U.S. Beer names _______??? or a Mexican brewery??? Just excited and curious if I can stomach it or go with the local rum!! Thanks in advance!

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
It's good when it is ice cold. Kind of a pilsner I guess. After a while I find I get tired of the taste though...maybe too sweet or something, I am not sure. That's the stuff in the bottle. At some of the all-inclusives it comes from a keg. Don't like that, it's never cold enough.

Mar 2, 2008
Presidente is a light pilsener, which is very good cold, but iffy when warm, in my opinion.

There are several locally brewed beers in the DR, each with its own character and fans.

Personally, I like all of them when they are served cold. Actually, the only beers I don't care for are the warm flat morning-after ones, but I'll even drink them on occasion.

runmemphis

Nov 13, 2009
Sounds like I will not have any problems! I'm not a beer snob, just don't care for dark, thick, strong tasting beers AND always tastes better when ICE cold!!

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Be warned - If it warms up enough to taste it then it is yucky.
Always drink it EXTREMELY COLD!

It varies in alcohol content from case to case.
I do not know if this is a myth, but it feels like it.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Unfortunately, in recent years, ?Presidente Light?, pronounced ?Presidente Lie? has become increasingly popular. I think its swill.

Due to its popularity, some places only carry ?Presidente Lie?.

If you want original Presidente, be sure to ask for ?Presidente Normal?, pronounced ?Presidente Norma?.

If you wish to stress that you would like a very cold & frosty ?Presidente Norma?, be sure to include that you would like your beer ?con cenizas?. Cenizas mean ?ashes? in Spanish, and apparently Dominicans equate the appearance of frost on the outside of the beer bottle with ashes. Go figure.

Drink responsibly. :knockedou

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Here's an option for you if you like Corona, and wish not to pay the DR price for it.
Order a Brahma Light, and plug a lime in it. In some places you can drink 3 of them for the price of one Corona. As for the difference in taste, do a blind test and tell me if you can tell the difference. Enjoy what ever you order;)

Bermudarum

Sep 22, 2009
I would like to hear the result of a Brahma taste test. To me Brahma tastes bad at any temperature, but then I am no fan of Corona.

Here Here! Btw, the B is a South American product (I think Brasil) dist by AmBev Dominicana.

This beer talk reminds me of a frat party gone bad.

Real men drink Johnny Walker. Keep walking...

(joking, but after year 2, I had to give up on the beer here. It just dehydrates you way too fast)

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Presidente is like Coors Light but less taste when it is really cold. Not bad if cold.
Brahma is very chuggable. A grande sometimes goes down like a regular sized beer.

Sep 22, 2009
Presidente is like Coors Light but less taste when it is really cold. Not bad if cold.
Brahma is very chuggable. A grande sometimes goes down like a regular sized beer.

ok, slow down Joe Montana! Coors Light is the WORST beer EVER. I don't even see how it qualifies as beer.

It has zero flavor and body. Pres is a superior brew relatively speaking.

Damn, and topped off with a plug for South America's worst brew as well! 0 for 2!

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
ok, slow down Joe Montana! Coors Light is the WORST beer EVER. I don't even see how it qualifies as beer.

Damn, and topped off with a plug for South America's worst brew as well! 0 for 2!

Actually, what you describe is Keystone Light- a crappier version of Coors Light we used to chug in college. When it is very hot out Coors Light ain't bad- I prefer Bud Light. You should check the dates on the back of the Brahma first- makes a huge difference!

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
There is NOTHING like an ICE cold Presidente while in the Dominican Republic. I don't get 15 minutes from the airport, before we find someplace that sells it ICE cold. You can find yourself in the middle of nowhere, but you'll soon find a shack that sells ICE cold Presidente. The only places in that don't sell it properly are the tourist traps. Presidente Light is OK, but if you want the real experience order a "Presidente normal grande con vestida de novia" with three small plastic cups and share it with your friends. This not only spreads cheer, but it ensures that everyone gets ICE cold Presidente.

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
like Alexander Keith's

Those that like it......like it a lot! I am a fan. Muy Frio is best. I agree with the earlier post about finding cold beer anywhere there. As for Canada I am luck to get a cool beer! I travel with my bottle cozie everwhere I go. Helps keep it cold and I know which one is mine if I am moving about.

Mar 2, 2008
Coors was the worst beer I ever had until I tried Coors light. Water has more taste then either. Brahma just has a foul taste ( but it is cheap and does have some alcohol content).

As a British friend of mine used to tell me, "Drinking American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's f**king close to water."

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Try Keystone Light. Makes Coors Light taste like Newcastle...;)

canuk8068

Sep 15, 2008
Bohemia

Presidente is like fizzy water but is OK when it's cold and the weather is hot.

Brahma is like liquid yeast!

Bohemia is the best. Great cold and not so bad warm.

bhale

Mar 1, 2004
If you can find it cold, there is nothing like watching that bottle frost up when it is opened. There is a German owned bar at Sosua Beach that serves it really cold. When I was there, the bartender opened the fridge which was full. She then reached way in the back where they are much colder. Now that's service! I don't remember the name but it is the cleanest one down by the Charamico end of the beach.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I drink Presidente, Bohemia and Brahama light. The Presidente reminds me of the local pilsners I drank when I was stationed in Germany. It has a much stronger taste than American beers. The closest thing that I have found in the States that tastes similar is maybe Heinekin or a Greek beer I had.

Sep 22, 2009
I drink Presidente, Bohemia and Brahama light. The Presidente reminds me of the local pilsners I drank when I was stationed in Germany. It has a much stronger taste than American beers. The closest thing that I have found in the States that tastes similar is maybe Heinekin or a Greek beer I had.

Couldn't agree more. Presidente is a higher quality (more body, aroma and flavor) than the "middle-america" beers such as Miller, Bud and, the beer that needs no introduction, Coors.

My favorite beer in the world: Heffe Weitzen (hel, not dunkel) pured straight from the tap at the Volkswiert Tavern in Frankfurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.