Protocols drafted for eliminating curfew; close watch for a new outbreak of Covid-19

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Raquel-Pena-desmonte-cuarentena-El-Dia-e1627648352251.jpg

Vice President Raquel Peña announced the government has drafted the protocol that will be used for the removing of curfew in provinces where more than 70% of the population is fully vaccinated for Covid-19. La Altagracia (Punta Cana, Higuey and Veron) would be the first province to apply the protocol. The government will soon make the announcement, she said.

“We have drafted a protocol together with Public Health and the entire Health Cabinet, and now we are going to discuss it with President Luis Abinader,” she explained. She said that what is applied first in La Altagracia province will be the same that will be applied at the national level. She explained the extra cautions to avoid a fourth outbreak as the country advances in vaccinating the population.

In the Dominican Republic, upwards of 51% of the population is fully vaccinated. For the past 14...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SD Este

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That Delta Bravo India variant could throw a monkey wrench into the best laid plans of mice and men.

Looks like 70% is not enough to reach herd immunity....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That Delta Bravo India variant could throw a monkey wrench into the best laid plans of mice and men.

Looks like 70% is not enough to reach herd immunity....
70% vaccinated is the complete opposite of herd immunity.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
What do the experts say about herd immunity?
I'm no expert (nor do I pretend to be) but from what I understand "herd immunity" is letting people build a natural resistance, not injecting them with experimental formulas.

Reactions: irishpaddy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Herd immunity​

Herd immunity is a form of indirect protection from infectious disease that can occur with some diseases when a sufficient percentage of a population has become immune to an infection, whether through vaccination or previous infections, thereby reducing the likelihood of infection for individuals who lack immunity. Wikipedia

Reactions: SD Este and ejl293

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Herd immunity​

Herd immunity is a form of indirect protection from infectious disease that can occur with some diseases when a sufficient percentage of a population has become immune to an infection, whether through vaccination or previous infections, thereby reducing the likelihood of infection for individuals who lack immunity. Wikipedia
Excellent.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So which is it?
Great question.
I guess the answer depends on
where and who you get your information
from. Again, I'm no expert and I've opted
out of the hysteria, paranoia and/ or buying into the international fear mongering campaign. If I end up suffering/ dying or whatever else as a result of my decision, then so be it.
For those who've bought in, I wish them all the best.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm no expert (nor do I pretend to be) but from what I understand "herd immunity" is letting people build a natural resistance, not injecting them with experimental formulas.
Not true.
Herd immunity can be reached via infection and recovery and what you call natural immunity, through approved vaccinations, or through experimental vaccinations.

With the new Delta Bravo India variant, it is my guess that 70% of vaccinations is not enough to provide herd immunity on top of those who were infected. The vaccines, at least the Pfizer vaccine is now known to "wane" in effectivity after 6 months. Probably need closer to 80% because this variant is so contagious and can even be passed on to others from fully vaccinated individuals and the efficacy of the vaccine drops over time. My guess is there will never be herd immunity because not enough people will be vaccinated during the same period of time that the vaccines work best. Consider it to be like a moving target that can never be hit.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not true.
Herd immunity can be reached via infection and recovery and what you call natural immunity, through approved vaccinations, or through experimental vaccinations.

With the new Delta Bravo India variant, it is my guess that 70% of vaccinations is not enough to provide herd immunity on top of those who were infected. The vaccines, at least the Pfizer vaccine is now known to "wane" in effectivity after 6 months. Probably need closer to 80% because this variant is so contagious and can even be passed on to others from fully vaccinated individuals and the efficacy of the vaccine drops over time. My guess is there will never be herd immunity because not enough people will be vaccinated during the same period of time that the vaccines work best. Consider it to be like a moving target that can never be hit.
Cool. Everytime I've heard the phrase "herd immunity" it was during a discussion regarding building natural immunity(s by allowing a percentage of folks to basically catch it y survive.
I've no problem with being corrected in cordial and respectful manner.

Reactions: windeguy