Understanding more about the motorcyclist epidemic

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Margarita-Rodriguez-Diario-Libre-1024x675.png

The director of the Motorcycle Unit of the National Transport and Transit Institute (Intrant), Margarita Rodríguez says motorcycles move around seen million commuters every day in the Dominican Republic and these just need to be regulated. The Tax Agency (DGII) says there are about 3.3 million motorcycles in circulation, but the Intrant motorcycle director understands there are more.

The problem is that the motorcyclists do not follow traffic laws. And the traffic authorities just look the other way, Oscar Almanzar of the Federation of Motorcyclists told Hoy newspaper.

Motorcycles are described as an epidemic in the Dominican Republic with a motorcyclist involved in at least 70% of traffic accidents.

Read more in Spanish:Hoy...

[url=https://dr1.com/news/2024/03/12/understanding-more-about-the-motorcyclist-epidemic/]Continue reading...

Last edited:

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
In bavaro and veron and friusa it is way out of control no respect for Traffic laws or normal people walking in the crosswalks ...one a day is dead on the streets here and i hate to say this but they deserved to be dead

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
In bavaro and veron and friusa it is way out of control no respect for Traffic laws or normal people walking in the crosswalks ...one a day is dead on the streets here and i hate to say this but they deserved to be dead
It's the same in San Isidro. When traffic backs up on the autopista SI (a daily occurrence), the motos use the sidewalks. I've been fairly successful staring them down but what worries me is them coming up from behind you and you don't know it.

As far as them running red lights, I honestly don't care. They lose in a collision with a car or truck. It's only the pedestrians that need to look.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They are now using the sidewalk on the way into Sousa from Charamicos, because the numbnut Dominican car drivers squeeze their cars into the moto lane. And the other day I saw a moto just miss running over and old couple coming with groceries out of Playero as he sped on the sidewalk, ignored the red light and sped through the intersection.
I hate to admit it but often it would be better for society if these tigueres on motos met their end in a road accident of their own making

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Sra. Rodriguez has it right.

Yet there is little hope for change.
The DR is a poor country.

Anyone who can scratch enough money, will buy a motorcycle or scooter for transport.
Hardly any of the riders have a licence.
Even drivers who have a licence don't know traffic laws, or if they do flagrantly disrespect them.

The only possible hope would be to confiscate motorcycles for infractions.
After a while the word would spread that gob.do is serious.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sra. Rodriguez has it right.

Yet there is little hope for change.
The DR is a poor country.

Anyone who can scratch enough money, will buy a motorcycle or scooter for transport.
Hardly any of the riders have a licence.
Even drivers who have a licence don't know traffic laws, or if they do flagrantly disrespect them.

The only possible hope would be to confiscate motorcycles for infractions.
After a while the word would spread that gob.do is serious.
That is being done every day. Ever read the daily news here? Follow any Police accounts?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Wishful thinking, if Digesett employed a steam roller to crush motos at locations where traffic rules broken by their operators, would it lead to slowing the moto epidemic? Doubt it!

Regards,

PJT

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They are now using the sidewalk on the way into Sousa from Charamicos, because the numbnut Dominican car drivers squeeze their cars into the moto lane. And the other day I saw a moto just miss running over and old couple coming with groceries out of Playero as he sped on the sidewalk, ignored the red light and sped through the intersection.
I hate to admit it but often it would be better for society if these tigueres on motos met their end in a road accident of their own making
Nothing makes my blood boil more than when these Dominicans start making two lanes out of one in a traffic jam. It just quadruples the problem.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This article can be written next year, the year after and then onward into infinity.

A Haitian on a moto hit a Dominican yesterday in Cabarete. The Dominican might have to get his leg amputated.
I wonder if it's just a coincidence that, at the almost daily AMET check point at Hotel Kaoba, there were about 9-10 confiscated motos on a flat bed truck yesterday(?).

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Everyone makes dangerous left turns that puts them in the right hand lane of oncoming traffic. Always cutting the corner, why I dunno . Recently two motos hit, one was making a left and cut the corner and hit a moto making a right turn in the oncoming lane. I heard it, looked up, saw 3 bodies down, 1 was barely crawling and 2 not moving. All youngsters. No one wore a helmet.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
This article can be written next year, the year after and then onward into infinity.

A Haitian on a moto hit a Dominican yesterday in Cabarete. The Dominican might have to get his leg amputated.
I did the same thing when submitting the unending paperwork when I was in my job which was regulated by the US Government, it's called boilerplatting

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I wonder if it's just a coincidence that, at the almost daily AMET check point at Hotel Kaoba, there were about 9-10 confiscated motos on a flat bed truck yesterday(?).
Multiply that 9-10 by 5000 and you have a start. Crush them, recycle the metal and not sell parts. Make owning a moto so expensive if you have operate them with improper paperwork, no helmet or license or proper lights.
Until they feel shocking financial pain they won't do a darn thing.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
They are now using the sidewalk on the way into Sousa from Charamicos,
Seems as though there are less motos using the sidewalks now in Sosua, due to all the vehicles parked on the sidewalks. Time for sidewalk speed bumps.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Multiply that 9-10 by 5000 and you have a start. Crush them, recycle the metal and not sell parts. Make owning a moto so expensive if you have operate them with improper paperwork, no helmet or license or proper lights.
Until they feel shocking financial pain they won't do a darn thing.
And most important of all - mufflers!!!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I see motos on police trucks almost daily. However, I believe they're only for registration type issues (aka follow the $), not stupid driving issues.
I just read an article today with the info that INTRANT has confiscated over 58 Thousand motorcycles since the beginning of the year.

That's almost a thousand a day.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Again, that's nice and everything, but has it changed behavior?
I'm guessing it hasn't. Remember the thousands of motorcycles at the old dog track?

I'd bet they have about another 250K bikes to go before folks start to pay attention.

They also have to come up with some sort of plan that makes it much more painful for delinquent riders.

More reasons to confiscate, Big fines for offenders, and proof of payment before another bike can be registered in their name.

Reactions: cavok