Understanding more about the motorcyclist epidemic

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
I just read an article today with the info that INTRANT has confiscated over 58 Thousand motorcycles since the beginning of the year.

That's almost a thousand a day.
I don't see those numbers happening. 1,000 per day crushed would be 350,000/year. Need to get it up to at least 3,000 per day destroyed

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
All they have to do here is remove the aggression and fill that hole with respect. Done

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
I am continually confounded why basic traffic laws aren't enforced here. The police would line their coffers with gold and *hopefully* bring some order to the streets. Seems like it would be like shooting fish in a barrel - they wouldn't even break a sweat. Same for illegal parking on sidewalks etc. How difficult is it to send out a "meter maid" to write some tickets?

Reactions: drstock and slowmo

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Me too. Great question. Maybe because it would make every cop guilty of hypocrisy? Or maybe it’s the Dominican live-and-let-live culture? (Aaaaaahhhh, es okaaaaaay….)

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I am continually confounded why basic traffic laws aren't enforced here. The police would line their coffers with gold and *hopefully* bring some order to the streets. Seems like it would be like shooting fish in a barrel - they wouldn't even break a sweat. Same for illegal parking on sidewalks etc. How difficult is it to send out a "meter maid" to write some tickets?
Me too. Great question. Maybe because it would make every cop guilty of hypocrisy? Or maybe it’s the Dominican live-and-let-live culture? (Aaaaaahhhh, es okaaaaaay….)
I think given that things have been going this way ad infinitum, to change it up would be considered ultra chickenshit and would result in a huge revolt. I think ignoring what they consider petty crime here is a way to keep the peace. I would like to hear what @AlterEgo (and Mr. AE) or @NALs have to say because they have a ton more experience here than I do. Same with @SKY

Reactions: chicagoan14

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I think given that things have been going this way ad infinitum, to change it up would be considered ultra chickenshit and would result in a huge revolt. I think ignoring what they consider petty crime here is a way to keep the peace. I would like to hear what @AlterEgo (and Mr. AE) or @NALs have to say because they have a ton more experience here than I do. Same with @SKY

I think there is a lot of truth in what you say. Any time they target any group the reverberations are immediate. Start going after everyone and it would get ugly.
They try to focus on group/section at a time to mimimize the blowback. The old eat an elephant one bite at a time routine.
Plus, they don't have near as much police as they need to do it right.
There is a big push for new recruits that has been going on for months.
And were not even talking about covering areas at night, something they are trying to do now.

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
We all have a dream, kiddo.
Well here in Charamicos Amet stop they are stacking and hauling motos like cord wood on the back of roll on wreckers.
It must be a reaction to the govt report on them being responsible for the vast majority of fatalities and injuries.
Quit selling those cheap junk Chinese motos. Stop importing them for 2 years. Give the country a breather.
Sorry many won't have transportation. I couldn't live without my vehicle but I follow the laws, have a Cedula, a license, current insurance and all the proper papers are available at a stop. If I didn't I wouldn't drive.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Motorcycles should be taxed at 100%. Proof of medical and accident insurance coverage for three years before they can leave the dealer. That would be a nice start.
I think right now they confiscate if docs are not in order.

Reactions: chico bill

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
They have been running night campaigns for the last few weeks. Clamping down on lighting and Motorcycles.

Well over 500 bikes grabbed in a 24 hr period.

• Love
Reactions: drstock
Aug 21, 2007
Here is the flip side. For each Tigre you see popping wheelies and weaving in and out of traffic there are poor families for whom this is their only method of transportation. All but 2 or 3 of our students depend on transportation on a moto whether it be by their parents or a hired driver.

We are talking about 3,4, and 5 year old children climbing on and going. No helmets.

Without that transportation they would not be able to attend school. And then you have a different problem.

Like you, I do not like to motos and how they put me and themselves in danger, but we must look at all aspects and segments of society before judging. I believe.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Here is the flip side. For each Tigre you see popping wheelies and weaving in and out of traffic there are poor families for whom this is their only method of transportation. All but 2 or 3 of our students depend on transportation on a moto whether it be by their parents or a hired driver.

We are talking about 3,4, and 5 year old children climbing on and going. No helmets.

Without that transportation they would not be able to attend school. And then you have a different problem.

Like you, I do not like to motos and how they put me and themselves in danger, but we must look at all aspects and segments of society before judging. I believe.
Agree completely of course but that won´t stop me from cringing every time I see a 5 y/o and a 3 y/o helmetless holding on to mom or dad.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005

Amen!

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016

Could they try walking to school, or bicycles, or ride sharing, or an old beat up school bus, or horseback or donkey/mule riding