Chocolate is more expensive than copper

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Cacao-Hoy-1024x577.png

Cacao topped out at record prices of US$10,000 the ton, making it more expensive than copper, the valuable metal used in everything from wiring to plumbing to coins. The Dominican Republic is a major producer of fine cacao and stands to benefit.

For the first time in history, the price of cacao is higher than copper on the international commodities market. According to a report in the Hoy newspaper, the price of cacao has more than doubled since the start of the year, and as much as 60% in March alone.

On the London Stock Exchange cacao prices have fluctuated by more than £600 in just one day.

A year ago, such fluctuations were in the range of £15 to £20. Apparently, this abrupt change in the price of cacao is closely related to the reduced harvest in West Africa where climate conditions, aging plantations, and fungus attacks on the cacao trees have contributed to the reduction in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CristoRey

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
lots of cocao farms where i am. it will be interesting to see if the prices will be passed down to the local producers. i suspect that there will be lots of people stealing cocoa from the farms.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It is a very interesting time in the world of cacao. The title of the article is a bit deceiving. Cacao is used to make chocolate and the price increases have not reached the consumer. For the last 15 years or so the price ranges from US$2,000 - $3000 on the commodity markets in New York and London. Last week it hit US$10,000. My in-laws with cacao farms in the area of SFM are getting RD8,000 per quintal (100 lbs) up from RD$3000 the last few years. It will probably keep rising according to what I've read. This is because the production of Ivory Coast and Ghana has dropped significantly and they usually produce 60-65% of the world's cacao.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I just bought some balls on my way through last week. Pure with no sugar, very good.
These bolas are usually about 4 oz, how much do they cost now? They are a rough grind and in the chocolate industry it is still cacao not chocolate. It is called cacao mass or liquor and probably the healthiest way to consume it. This is used, grated and added to milk, often with oatmeal. I like to grate it on vanilla ice cream. Much of the time these balls are made with unfermented cacao but sometimes I've found them using fermented cacao. Both are good when used this way.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I just bought some balls on my way through last week. Pure with no sugar, very good.
If you ever go to a Bravo supermarket, look for their own brand of Belgium chocolate bars. Made with real chocolate.

One of the very few these days that don't have sugar or corn syrup as the main ingredient.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It may be the first time in history the price of cocoa is higher than copper, but it isn’t the first time the Dominican territory became a major exporter of cocoa. A long time ago I remember reading that in the 1600’s the Dominican territory was one of the main exporters of cocoa to Spain. Something similar happened in the 1700’s but with tobacco instead of cocoa. That was because the Spanish Monarchy gave incentives to encourage the production of tobacco in the Dominican territory. At a certain point exports of Dominican tobacco to Spain rivaled those from Cuba!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
These bolas are usually about 4 oz, how much do they cost now? They are a rough grind and in the chocolate industry it is still cacao not chocolate. It is called cacao mass or liquor and probably the healthiest way to consume it. This is used, grated and added to milk, often with oatmeal. I like to grate it on vanilla ice cream. Much of the time these balls are made with unfermented cacao but sometimes I've found them using fermented cacao. Both are good when used this way.
Some places 150 pesos, others 200 pesos. Yes we grind and mix with milk.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Some places 150 pesos, others 200 pesos. Yes we grind and mix with milk.
The rural women groups I worked with in the past were selling them for RD$30 about 12 years ago. I was telling them to raise the price to 40 or 50 pesos a ball.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The rural women groups I worked with in the past were selling them for RD$30 about 12 years ago. I was telling them to raise the price to 40 or 50 pesos a ball.
Is one of them the chocolate factory run by a group of older women? Chocolateria or something like that?

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Is one of them the chocolate factory run by a group of older women? Chocolateria or something like that?
Yes, If that is the group near Altamira close to the highway. Chocal is on the same road but a little further in. The two I worked with are near Castillo and SFM. Another up the mountain from Gaspar Hernandez, another near Hato Mayor and another in Yamasa. I think El Siebo also.

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
Last year before our trip back to the US, we bought 10 bolas of pure Cacao on our way from Tenares to Gaspar Hernandez. This is one of the areas that a big amount of the Organic Cacao is grown. The side roads of the mountain are full of it. Fast Forward to last month, we went to the same store, and the price was double. My Dad was amazed of the price and asked the clerk. Clerk stated that the price of a Quintal went from 6K pesos to about 10K and even 12K (March 2024).
We have about 300 tareas we've been prepping for Moringa in La Victoria (Mata Mamon). As of this month, we've decided to save 100 tareas for Cacao shaded with Platano..

Can't wait! (My retirement).

Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Last year before our trip back to the US, we bought 10 bolas of pure Cacao on our way from Tenares to Gaspar Hernandez. This is one of the areas that a big amount of the Organic Cacao is grown. The side roads of the mountain are full of it. Fast Forward to last month, we went to the same store, and the price was double. My Dad was amazed of the price and asked the clerk. Clerk stated that the price of a Quintal went from 6K pesos to about 10K and even 12K (March 2024).
We have about 300 tareas we've been prepping for Moringa in La Victoria (Mata Mamon). As of this month, we've decided to save 100 tareas for Cacao shaded with Platano..

How much moringa are you planning on producing?? That is a ton of the stuff.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
If you ever go to a Bravo supermarket, look for their own brand of Belgium chocolate bars. Made with real chocolate.

One of the very few these days that don't have sugar or corn syrup as the main ingredient.
Today I was at Bravo and the only chocolate bars from their own brand I've found were from spain. Can you please make pic of them and post here?
Thanks.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

Today I was at Bravo and the only chocolate bars from their own brand I've found were from spain. Can you please make pic of them and post here?
Thanks.
In the Sosua area I would try Milz Chocolate. Small bean to bar using locally made quality cacao beans. I've not tasted their bars yet but am confident they will definitely beat anything sold at Bravo as far as quality. In Puerto Plata try Del Oro, I l know a lot less about them but still locally made.

Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Thanks.
That's the ones. I've never said they were of Dominican origin; only that they are the Bravo brand. Get the ones with the green label that says Belga:
chocolate.jpg
ingredients.jpg

Reactions: CristoRey

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
How much moringa are you planning on producing?? That is a ton of the stuff.
Our Moringa seed and flower buyer said they will buy as many as we can produce, so we're going for the fences with that product. Our family has had that land right about 300 meters from the Circunvalacion and Peaje 1 Sto Dgo for about 40 years. Before they even thought of building a road there. About time we do something with it. It has amazing access for anything. Our dream is to build a "stop" similar to the Bonao stop for folks that are going-coming from the Cibao-Capital.