2 Canadians drowned on beach in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
Well, maybe he will. If he doesn't want to contribute, there are many that will take his place. Imagine if the drowned pair were your friends, worse still your family.
If someone in Cabarete could pop-in to Janets and see if they'll allow a collection box for this worthwhile cause we could have a couple of warning signs near the danger area before Christmas.
I don't live in Cabarete but I'd be happy to make the trip so I could contribute.

I was there for a few months a year for 7-8 years, and I don't remember ever seeing any signs anywhere along there. Either it was a long time ago, or they didn't last very long. I would be in for a $20 if someone there with a Paypal account pm's me with the details, though.

Jan 17, 2009
People from the Tourism ministry were checking out possibilities for signs two days after this incident. I understand that the best solution (they concluded) was to paint a warning on the rocks as signs could be easily removed. Anyone can paint over the rocks too but apparently they think it is not as likely to happen as removing signs.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
People from the Tourism ministry were checking out possibilities for signs two days after this incident. I understand that the best solution (they concluded) was to paint a warning on the rocks as signs could be easily removed. Anyone can paint over the rocks too but apparently they think it is not as likely to happen as removing signs.

Thanks for this info, good news. BTW - this big sign what was destroyed by very heavy flooding had been
there for years before - nobody removed it.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
I was there for a few months a year for 7-8 years, and I don't remember ever seeing any signs anywhere along there. Either it was a long time ago, or they didn't last very long. I would be in for a $20 if someone there with a Paypal account pm's me with the details, though.

hello, tomas2,
yesterday a guy,living in our house, told me , that now 3 signs are placed. today i will walk in this direction, to look for this.

May 29, 2006
Almost any beach is going to have rip currents. All that water that crashes against the beach has to get back out to the ocean and it's usually funneled into a small area. The two things to keep in mind is not to panic and then try to move to the left or right, but NEVER against the current. You can't swim faster than it, and you will wear yourself fighting against it. My dad had his college roommate drown in one.

Don't get sucked in by the rip... - YouTube

Rip Current Video - YouTube

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Other methods suggested are to swim underwater if there are heavy waves and to swim diagonally to the nearest shore or reef that is shallow enough to stand on.

If the water is fairly shallow when you pick up a rock you may have sufficient weight to walk a few steps underwater.
pi2.

siegs

May 9, 2006
Almost any beach is going to have rip currents. All that water that crashes against the beach has to get back out to the ocean and it's usually funneled into a small area. The two things to keep in mind is not to panic and then try to move to the left or right, but NEVER against the current. You can't swim faster than it, and you will wear yourself fighting against it. My dad had his college roommate drown in one.

Don't get sucked in by the rip... - YouTube

Rip Current Video - YouTube

Excellent videos and good advice.
Anyone venturing into the water should watch these.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Did you see the signs?

Yes, I saw the signs and I took fotos. I counted seven small signs, first one ca. 50 meters after velero, next in front of Magnifico, next in front of the entrance to the cemetary, and so on along this part of the beach. I stopped my walk because of raining, but I was told that there is another sign frente de la policia .

Status
Not open for further replies.