2 Murderers on the loose its time to buy a pistol

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
If you follow simple rules of safety, then that is a remote posibility. I was raised with firearms all arround me, and even as a small child I knew that guns were not toys and would not dare touch one without my Grandfather present (he got me into firearms)
It is very important that you educate your children on firearms from a very small age, take them to the range and show them what a gun does to things...
Accidents do happen, but the risk is less if you teach people proper safety.
Those gun statistics take into account people in poor ghettos that have no education and live in violent areas. I would like to see statistics that show how many people die in middle class areas because of guns.

That was exactly my point, I wasn't trying to suggest that LadyBird (or anyone else) shouldn't get a gun, just know the dangers and safty precautions.

Joe

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
canuck said:
Careful, there's a big difference between medical malpractice and medical errors...and that still doesn't justify your comparasion.

Lawyers in the US don't seem to know the diff

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
DRshooter said:
The problem with lugers arrise from using modern 9mm loads. Back in the early days, the 9mm was a much hotter load, it was like submachinegun ammo. The luger needs that extra punch to cycle it's heavy slide...That's why it jams so much. Read that somewhere, don't remember the source exactly

the "Matchlock" 9mm Luger requires far less of a recoil than the .45 acp to operate, thus the ability to cycle with blanks

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
KrackedKris said:
the "Matchlock" 9mm Luger requires far less of a recoil than the .45 acp to operate, thus the ability to cycle with blanks
Well, that makes sense because of the heavier spring and components on a 45. The luger will cycle with regular loads...what I read was that it wasn't consistent because of the lighter loads.
But, I could be wrong, I read this in a magazine, I have no actual experience with the luger.
HK's all the way for me:D

canuck MD

May 2, 2004
DRshooter said:
Lawyers in the US don't seem to know the diff

That's because they don't really care about the diff. as long as they get paid (I know, my wife is a Lawyer :devious: ). The diff is that malpactrice = preventable and forseable problems leading to negligence. A medical mistake or error is something that, within reason, couldn't have been prevented (ie. an incorrect diagnosis due to lack of confirming diagnostic tests). My point is that comparing "medical malpactrice deaths" and accidental gun related shooting is that the latter is ALWAYS preventable, but occurs often. Guns kill people AND people with guns kill people.....if you watched Bowling for Columbine, a lot of what was said is crap, but a great deal was also true. I find it sad that people think they're safe if they own a gun; just like people think that owning an SUV reduces their chances of getting into a serious car accident...

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
CyaBye3015 said:
In the USA, way more ?friends & family members? are killed or wounded by weapons kept for protection than intruders. The reason, they are generally kept accessible and loaded and some people just can?t resist playing with them.

Again, food for thought.

Joe
Actually that is not true.
Ever read the F.S.U. Study? I believe it was in 2000 where they did reaserach finding that over 4 million crimes and assaults were prevented on the U.S. do to the legal use of private firearms.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
DRshooter said:
Well, that makes sense because of the heavier spring and components on a 45. The luger will cycle with regular loads...what I read was that it wasn't consistent because of the lighter loads.
But, I could be wrong, I read this in a magazine, I have no actual experience with the luger.
HK's all the way for me:D
Not sure about the Lugar and the loads it uses. I know one of the problems with the lugar was its recoil system that basically exposed the insides of the gun to the elements every timed it cycled.

HK's are nice. Give me my 1911 anyday!

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
canuck said:
That's because they don't really care about the diff. as long as they get paid (I know, my wife is a Lawyer :devious: ). The diff is that malpactrice = preventable and forseable problems leading to negligence. A medical mistake or error is something that, within reason, couldn't have been prevented (ie. an incorrect diagnosis due to lack of confirming diagnostic tests). My point is that comparing "medical malpactrice deaths" and accidental gun related shooting is that the latter is ALWAYS preventable, but occurs often. Guns kill people AND people with guns kill people.....if you watched Bowling for Columbine, a lot of what was said is crap, but a great deal was also true. I find it sad that people think they're safe if they own a gun; just like people think that owning an SUV reduces their chances of getting into a serious car accident...

Well, you that have police that get there in 2 seconds thank your lucky stars. Here in the DR I will never give up my gun. If it makes me feel better...then it's worth it.
I train with my pistol to try and be ready...if the dude makes a mistake...then he will die.
Criminals have too many advantages over law abiding citizens...they have the element of suprise, superior numbers and guns...I have my training and the will to protect myself.
All those rich liberals in the states that are anti-gun have armed people watching their back...
Nobody likes guns..until they really need one.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
F.S.U. Study

Tony C said:
Actually that is not true.
Ever read the F.S.U. Study? I believe it was in 2000 where they did reaserach finding that over 4 million crimes and assaults were prevented on the U.S. do to the legal use of private firearms.

4 million sounds like a very large number. I live in a suburb with around 10,000 residents, they print the police reports every week in the local newspaper. I can not remember the last time a gun was used during a crime in my community. Perhaps you could locate the study.
In all fairness, I do not a study to back up my statement, it's simply something I've heard many times over the years. None the less, my point was that proper precautions need to be taken when you have a loaded firearm in your home.

Joe

p08

Tony C said:
Not sure about the Lugar and the loads it uses. I know one of the problems with the lugar was its recoil system that basically exposed the insides of the gun to the elements every timed it cycled.

HK's are nice. Give me my 1911 anyday!

I agree with you Tony, the P-08 was way to exposed to the elements during combat, this would make the weapon jam easy. I have different P-08`s, and i like the weapon because of the design, but we must remember the P-08 is tilting forward and this can be frustrating, this is also one of the reasons for switching to the P-38. I like my old 1911a1 11,25 (45acp)-much better balance. But i would rather have an Hk-USP, instead of the obsolete 1911.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
DRshooter said:
Well, you that have police that get there in 2 seconds thank your lucky stars. Here in the DR I will never give up my gun. If it makes me feel better...then it's worth it.
I train with my pistol to try and be ready...if the dude makes a mistake...then he will die.
Criminals have too many advantages over law abiding citizens...they have the element of suprise, superior numbers and guns...I have my training and the will to protect myself.
All those rich liberals in the states that are anti-gun have armed people watching their back...

DR yes I was always against guns but now Ive changed my mind. ARE YOU around this weekend??????

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Luger Vs. Parabellum

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Luger and the parabellum?

Im Half German so what the hell do i know.

canuck MD

May 2, 2004
DRshooter said:

I don't want to judge your situtation. You're right, in Canada, we are very fortunate to have very low gun violence and, for the most part, non-corrupt well structured police forces and infrastructure. I guess the question I'd ask you is if someone "mugs" you for your $$$, will you shoot them or just give them your money and let them run off? My problem with some of the US laws is that you have the right to use deadly force to protect your property...since when is property more valuable than a person's life (even a criminal's life)?

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
canuck said:
I don't want to judge your situtation. You're right, in Canada, we are very fortunate to have very low gun violence and, for the most part, non-corrupt well structured police forces and infrastructure. I guess the question I'd ask you is if someone "mugs" you for your $$$, will you shoot them or just give them your money and let them run off? My problem with some of the US laws is that you have the right to use deadly force to protect your property...since when is property more valuable than a person's life (even a criminal's life)?

Well, If you have the time and patience to ask a person that just BROKE INTO YOUR HOUSE what his intentions are I commend you. You are truly a better person then I am. Maybe, when he's done killing your loved ones you can say "oops..my bad...should have shot you"
If I know that it's just property...then no, I would probably lock myself in my room and let him take whatever he wants. But if he comes into my room...then he's dead, simple as that.
I have worked too hard, to many sleepless nights (I'm an MD too) to let some illiterate looser kill me and my loved ones. I've treated sociopaths in the ER down here, and believe me, for them to slice me up would mean as much to them as slicing a piece of chicken. I'm glad you can live in such a safe enviornment.
"Put your trust in God, But keep your powder dry" Oliver Cromwell

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
p1atan0 said:
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Luger and the parabellum?

Im Half German so what the hell do i know.

Nothing! The 9mm parabellum cartridge was first used by the Luger co., thus is often used interchangeably

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Rattus_Rattus said:
I agree with you Tony, the P-08 was way to exposed to the elements during combat, this would make the weapon jam easy. I have different P-08`s, and i like the weapon because of the design, but we must remember the P-08 is tilting forward and this can be frustrating, this is also one of the reasons for switching to the P-38. I like my old 1911a1 11,25 (45acp)-much better balance. But i would rather have an Hk-USP, instead of the obsolete 1911.

Do you happen to have any P-08's in .45 acp?

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
canuck said:
the question I'd ask you is if someone "mugs" you for your $$$, will you shoot them or just give them your money and let them run off? My problem with some of the US laws is that you have the right to use deadly force to protect your property...since when is property more valuable than a person's life (even a criminal's life)?

If he pulls a knife or a gun on me...well... I guess in some parts of the world JHP's can be used as currency...I don't know for sure.:p
I think I would fight the guy...and not because of the money...but because when somebody comes up to you in a threatning manner, you don't know what his intentions are... he could be trying to abduct me... I know..I'm paranoid... seen too much stuff not to be.

45luger

KrackedKris said:
Do you happen to have any P-08's in .45 acp?
No sorry Kris i dont, i have 1 in cal 7,65 para- its DWM stamped all parts original, without eagle. This one is ca 1920/23 model. 75%blue.

The others are standard 9mm. I had one 9mm Artillerie with complete supressor barrel, but i sold it to a collector friend of mine.

It was easier to get "hard-to-get-arms" some years ago.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Ain't Dead Yet?

Didn't some home invaders get killed over in La Mulata in the last few days? I heard two different stories. First, a guy comes home and finds his parents tied up and surprises two home invaters and kills both. Then the other story was that a homeowner was in his home when two men and a woman came in. All three ended up shot and dead.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A few weeks ago a Dominican money changer that hangs around PJ's in Sosua came home and found his wife and child tied up and three men waiting to rob him. He carries a large amount of money around.

Well, to the robbers surprise this guy had a licensed Glock in his waist. He pulled it out and killed two of them, the other guy ran away. No charges were brought against him.