2-Wk Trip Report Sosua/Cabarete

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
"We spent 2 weeks on NORTH coast - you don't know crap about our previous trips to the island - and you nothing of our previous travels in the Caribbean. "

Previous travels to other Islands have nothing to do with the Dominican Republic. Cant be compared to Bahamas, Aruba, St. Thomas or anywhere else. As far as me not knowing "crap" let me just quote you from another thread what you posted to refresh your memory.

"But this time, we hired a Dominican driver to show us the countryside and educate us on Dominican life. Everyone thought we were crazy to decide to look for real estate based on 2 pampered weeks behind iron gates. "

I agree with "everyone". This was how I knew crap about your experience. I read what you said before I put my thoughts down.

"If anyone has an attitude, you're it. Sounds like my Tourist section really hit a nerve with you (guilty?). Sounds like our home purchase hit a nerve too (jealous?)"

First of all, I don't really consider myself a tourist. I have my residency in the DR which I doubt that you do. I only spent about 80 days there in the last year and have been traveling there since the late 60's or early 70's. Time flys when you are having fun and who can remember. Compare my last year to your whole 14 days and you can probably come up with a better thought.

I may be guilty on the small breast piece of your work and I admit it. Since I went on my diet I went from a Double "D" to a "A" cup.
Some may say I am not half the man I use to be! LOL

As far as your home purchase goes, I am not jealous. Had I thought buying a residence in the DR was a good move I would probably buy a Condo instead. Different strokes for different strokes. Doesn't mean that Condos are any better than a vacation home, just a matter of preference.

Buying a residence doesn't make sense to me at this time in the DR. I just don't think it pays. I would be happy to crunch numbers for you if you want. I am presently getting over 15% on my US Dollars in the DR. When I go back down it will go up to over 18%. My money is secured by mortgages there.

I have been in the Real Estate business for 25 years. I am just retiring from that business. I have sold and held mortgages on 7 properties in the last year and sold a couple of others for cash or other financing in the US. Heck, I even donated 50 acres of property to a Church Camp for needy children. This is in the Woodstock NY area of the US. A building lot is going for about 70-80 thousand dollars in this area for a nice 2-3 acre lot. I have closings schedualed on 3 buildings between today and when I leave for the DR on the 21st of this month. On those properties I will be holding over 200k in mortgages at 8%.

Jealousy is not one of my traits. Not with money/belongings nor women. I am happy when others do well and don't have to put others down to make myself appear more successful, confident or happy. I spend a lot of time helping others get ahead. I have put many people on this board together so they could benefit on joint interests.

I have met many of these folks on this board in person in the DR. I have enjoyed their company on many occassions and look forward to enjoying their company in the future.

I have found even the most rude person on a message board to be very polite in person. You will probably be polite also. I could probably bet on it.

Again, good luck with your purchase and your enjoyment in the DR. I did find a lot of what you said offensive and not because I resembled any of it. The generalities and stereotyping were a big jump.

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Ok, Jazz. I also lived in NYC for 13 years as well as other parts of the US prior to that. Now I'm living here AND I am Dominican by birth. JanH is right about most things she described. Once in a while one has to step out of oneself and SEE what is around. You also need to develop some respect for the country you have CHOSEN to live in, whichever one that is. I don't think highly of people who look down upon others for their lack of experience in something and I have little respect for people who take advantage of circumstances... ring any bells?
Amber

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Thanks, Amber.

This was our 3rd trip to the DR and it was and still is paradise to us!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
"Ok, Jazz. I also lived in NYC for 13 years as well as other parts of the US prior to that. Now I'm living here AND I am Dominican by birth. JanH is right about most things she described. Once in a while one has to step out of oneself and SEE what is around. You also need to develop some respect for the country you have CHOSEN to live in, whichever one that is. I don't think highly of people who look down upon others for their lack of experience in something and I have little respect for people who take advantage of circumstances... ring any bells?
Amber"

I don't look down on anyone for lack of experience. I look down on people that look down on the size of a womans tits Amber. I look down on anyone that stereotypes Tourists when they are nothing more themselves. I look down on people that say they spray tan themselves to fit in and therefore get better prices.

I don't think she was right about much. That I would be happy to debate.

In what way did I express or show any disrespect for the DR?

I have plenty but didn't express even the slightest iota. I would be happy to debate that also. I will be happy to name a few for you to think about. Government fraud, malpheasence, graft and just plain theft. How about polution, raw sewerage and just plain disrespect for ones own country? Should I also have respect for that? How about poor sanitary habits and conditions people do have control of but don't care or give a shit about?

In my experience when you see a mess left on the beach it is more likely than not left by Dominicans and not the tourists.

Exactly what bells do you think are supposed to ring for me Amber?

You think spraying yourself tan gets you a better bargain? You think all tourists are just numbsculls? Your country or our country survives on tourism Amber. When tourism is down so it the country.

I have never found Dominicans half as disrespectful of tourists as she was of her fellow tourists including talking about the size of their breasts. I found her generalization silly and not to be true. She talks about having lunch by the beach and complaining about scantily clad women. Guess they should put on an evening gown to go to the beach to make her happy? Glad you agree with her. Gives some insight about you.

I love the Dominican Republic, I enjoy the people and will be living there for the majority of the rest of my life. I just don't look at it through Amber glasses! LOL

Never will you see me dressed in anything less than a nice pair of slacks and a nice buttoned shirt. You will also never see me comment on the dress of others unless it is to compliment someone.

Regards,

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you want to take this to the debates forum, fine. This is the travel forum and not a place to get into "he said, she said" etc etc.

I really don't want to have to close this thread...

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
ok. With a sweet smile :) I say, "Jazz, dear, ever notice any corruption, garbage, dirty beaches in the US?
But, back to the subject, I think the original post tried to convey the idea of meeting Dominicans in our own turf, not secluded in some AI amber colored world. That is the message I received and agreed with. BTW, no one needs tanning spray to "fit in" here because Dominicans are a blend of all nations, being anywhere from pitch black to fairest white. The bottom line is that people treat you accordingly depending how you treat them, tit for tat.
With all due respect and humble apologies if I somehow offended,

Amber
ps. I have no problem starting a new thread.:alien:

Last edited: