2 women returning from DR test positive for swine flu!!!!

faer

Jan 6, 2005
current status down here...16 confirmed ah1n1 cases ...3 are the girls that were in DR and Panama, 12 from the school I mentioned before, and 1 from another school
the thing is that nobody is in critical situation, the flu is quite treatable resulting in no death hazzard.
the rest is panic, fuzz and mktg to sell news....
i really think you should be seen some cases in the next few days, as my hiphotesis is quite clear, the girls got it in Panama on their flight to DR, incubated it there and showed the first symptoms on the last days of their stay and on their way back to Chile....

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Now in Peru

Listin is now reporting cases in Peru - also tagged as coming from the DR.

Las Mundiales - Se elevan a 5 los casos de gripe A en Per? con dos estudiantes que fueron de RD

Reminds me of when the DR was insisting that the avian flu came "from Puerto Rico"--

I expect pretty soon there is going to an official protest from the DR about all those other Latin Countries ganging up on us..

Since - well- WE don't actually have any reported cases.

Or do we?
(you obviously only get the thing when you LEAVE the DR and go to a Latin American country--- so best we all just stay here!)

faer

Jan 6, 2005
as of today, 84 confirmed cases in Chile, only one shows complicated simptoms.
my guess is that governments try to keep this under the rug until it is so evident that can't be denied, just in order not to cause panic.
The first cases here where investigated a month ago and nothing happened because they where held within public health services, providing daily follow up ti the media stating that they were not ah1n1. But then the flu stroke upper class citizens who attended to private health clinics, and there was no way of keeping this "undercover". Magically this thing has grown exponentially in just a week.
So I think in DR is happening the same, try to keep it low profile until it can't be denied. They gain time for buying vaccines, putting in order some kind of contingency plan and anything else.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
East region has ?suspicious? AH1N1 virus cases, epidemiologist says

SANTO DOMINGO. ? The renown epidemiologist Dr Jesus Feris Iglesias said Monday that in Bavaro, La Altagracia province (east) an outbreak suspected of being the AH1N1 virus was detected, which not only affected tourists, but also employees of the hotels.

"Right now in Bavaro, there?s apparently a group of people, workers among them, who work in that tourist center, native of Dominican Republic, who are apparently affected," the physician said in an interview in the Z-101 radio program.

He said something is suspicious when a group of people who have the same characteristic symptoms, are suspected of having the disease until proven otherwise.

He said until now several nationals from Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Russia and one from the United States have tested positive for the virus after vacationing in Punta Cana.

The medical epidemiologist today accused Health minister Bautista Rojas of providing deceptive information on the virus, announcing negative tests from the analysis.

source: http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2009/5/25/32102/East-region-has-suspicious-AH1N1-virus-cases-epidemiologist-says

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Apparently there will be an announcement about cases in Santiago soon. This comes from the secretary of a highly ranked government official who travelled there on emergency today, to deal with this issue. I believe the virus was being covered up here but now the cat is out of the bag.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Interesting, I have a friend in Santiago that's been in bed with sore throat, fever, aches/pain for last 4 or 5 days. Starting to feel better now, and claims to have no urge to roll in the mud.