2012 Semana Santa Fatalities Over/Under

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Your posts are about as anti-Dominican as possible. Maybe it's best you stay where you are and never return.

Your statements are utterly ridiculous, anti Dominican? Anti getting ****ed and ruining someones life, yes, anti Dominican, no! WTF did you spring from, to judge my understanding, experience and involvement with the Republic?
It's the same every year, and this conversation comes up every year and it's a bit of banter about something that happens, I couldn't give a toss in reality what day of the week or week of the year anyone decides to get drunk and kill themselves, not in the DR, but anywhere in the world, but this being the DR1 website, it happens to be specifically about the Dominican Republic, grasped that yet Sherlock?

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Puleeeze.......... they drink, they can't drive straight, they threaten lives other than their own, the police put on extra staff to curb it, youths overdose on alcohol, I'm sure crime and domestic violence escalates......

We can just stick our heads under our pillows (literally) and wait it out.

Its a foreign land here..... go withn the flow

So what your saying is, because they get drunk then drive, and as a result they kill a few innocent people, we should bet on the total number of people killed? It's just not right, and you know it.

Oh and another thing, it may be a foreign land to you but not to me, it should be you getting with the flow, what ever that means?

Last edited:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
No one is taking bets, and no one wishes anyone dead, making light of an approaching unpleasant time is a cognitive human impulse to avert attention from a gloomy prediction, it's not offensive at all, take it as it is meant (we just had this discussion about Negro on the Gringo thread).
And 'it's just not right' isn't a good enough argument to ask people to stop being people, I think what is clear in life is that what is right for one is not necessarily right for another, hence none of my family go out in vehicles (and that's not because it's a holiday) and they are all Taxi and greentop drivers around the Capital, it is an at home with the family time, and that is where the 'flow' goes, Native or Not I'm afraid.
Cheer up we might even get a surprise when the results come in.:classic:

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Good evening guys,

Some people are being way too sensitive here. If you can't laugh at the absurdity of life around you, what can you laugh at?

Moreover, it's not true to suggest that drink driving and killing innocent victims and trying to win a Darwin award has anything to do with the 'local culture'. Need I remind you that this week is supposed to be 'holy' week!?!? you know, where the local culture and traditions celebrate religious ceremonies of traditional significance?

Drinking hooch till you're blind was not in the bible (or was it? I keep forgetting!? :) ) , so how can you call it a 'dominican' tradition really? It's just recently that this sort of stuff has started to happen....

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Is it morally correct to bet on fights?

Carry on...........

It would be interesting to hear how one could draw a comparison between betting on fights and an over/ under on a human death toll from a holiday period.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
So what your saying is, because they get drunk then drive, and as a result they kill a few innocent people, we should bet on the total number of people killed? It's just not right, and you know it.

Oh and another thing, it may be a foreign land to you but not to me, it should be you getting with the flow, what ever that means?

I'm not condoning any activity or knocking any activity.... just saying that such activity is a fact whether it should or shouldn't be, whether right or wrong - it exists.

Is it unique to RD? I don't know and don't care... I am here, and that makes it important to me.

Going with the flow means --
Like it, Lump it or Get Out of the Way... life will continue as it wishes..... relentlessly

BTW, please note that I did not offer a wager on the weekend results.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
It would be interesting to hear how one could draw a comparison between betting on fights and an over/ under on a human death toll from a holiday period.

Although rare, fighters have died during these bouts. In ancient Romans times, there were bouts until the death and people betting on them. In Las Vegas, bets on done on almost anything. ANYTHING!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
DEAR,"CoCoLoCohead",and "OTHERS"!

I see that many of you are Dominicans,and,as ALWAYS,are critical of ANYTHING that could be constrewed as negative about the DR.Those who are not "Dominicanos" have no excuse.
We are NOT actually "Betting" on how many Dominicans will kill themselves,and more tragically,other INNOCENTs.
We do this as a metaphore for putting to light,a very sad TRADITION here in the DR!
Dominicans have a huge problem with excess consumption of alcohol!
THAT,is never more apparent than during the "so-called","Holy Week"!
Why do they find it obligatory to drink untill it kills them,LITTERALLY!
There are 9 people living in my house,8 of them are Dominicans,NONE of them will be drinking this week.
Some have,and will, actually be going to "church"!
The first step in solving a "Problem",is to recognise that you have a "Problem"!
And this country/culture,has a BIG DRINKING PROBLEM!
"Diario Libre" reports three children in Santiago,already admitted to hospitals,one 10 year old DEAD!
And it's only Tuesday!
And their "parents" are responsible.But nothing will be done about it!
And "COCO" your,"If You Don'T Love It,Leave It",Bull$hit" is so old it has "wiskers"!
We chose to live here,that doesn't mean we have to support criminal behavior!
And it doesn't mean we have to love everything in "Paradise"!
May I suggest you take a long drive About 1 am Sunday morning,just to "Cool Off"?????
Cris Colon
Someone smart enough to stay "indoors" this "Holy HELL WEEK"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's morbid, but unfortunately it's the reality of the world we live in. I haven't spent a Semana Santa in The DR in about 20 years and not for lack of desire, but it just never seems to work out. As bad as things are now, it used to be a lot worse before the government started closing down certain beaches well known for being places where lots of people drowned and also I understand that now the traffic police does this thing where they block the highway with their cars and drive slow thus making everyone else slow down so this has probably made a big difference in traffic accidents.

When you have a whole country 10+ million people on the move going all over the place in one week and so many people drunk out of their minds some accidents are bound to happen.

Those of you who have only know The DR the last 25 years or so wouldn't believe what this week was like back in the days. It was so solemn and quiet that you would have thought Juan Pablo Duarte died again. Since Wednesday evening through Saturday nobody worked, cooked or did anything. The radio would only play this religious solemn music and everything was closed. Ghost towns with people just at their homes with family.

Not sure if this will be included in the overall count, but it appears it started out quite bad with 5 victims already at one spot.

Dicen se ba?aban balneario cinco arroll? yipeta - ElNacional.com.do

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Just because it's from "2" different threads,
doesn't mean you can have it "BOTH" ways!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccc

One thread is about nannies and maids in DR and only DR.

Second thread is about Frank making a bet and I am justifying the post on bets that are done on deaths.

Again CC, 2 different threads!!!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
After reading of the governments comprehensive safety plan involving 14,000 volunteers and SEVEN AMBULANCES I am going to have to reivise my fatality estimate upwards to 59 which is a modest increase of two based upon my past experience with the government of the Dominican Republic.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Some posters feel 40 to 60 deaths during one single week of the year is a staggering amount for this country, however, given the amount of people (well over 4 million) on the ill-prepared road system of one given week is a very trivial amount of deaths to poke fun at, not to mention feel "afraid" enough to want to lock yourself at home for a whole week.

It behooves most on here to know, that not every Dominican will be out and about, getting drunk out of their minds. Some people will be attending religious affairs put in place by the many Roman Catholic and Christian church's around the country. One particular Christian church holds open mass at the "Estadio Cibao" annually, this event attracts well over 20,000 people both domestic and foreigners for a two day meet to pray for those less fortunate.

@cc: the 10 year old kid that died in Santiago from alcohol consumption died about a week ago, in a even totally unrelated to Semana Santa.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
I see that many of you are Dominicans,and,as ALWAYS,are critical of ANYTHING that could be constrewed as negative about the DR.Those who are not "Dominicanos" have no excuse.
We are NOT actually "Betting" on how many Dominicans will kill themselves,and more tragically,other INNOCENTs.
We do this as a metaphore for putting to light,a very sad TRADITION here in the DR!
Dominicans have a huge problem with excess consumption of alcohol!
THAT,is never more apparent than during the "so-called","Holy Week"!
Why do they find it obligatory to drink untill it kills them,LITTERALLY!
There are 9 people living in my house,8 of them are Dominicans,NONE of them will be drinking this week.
Some have,and will, actually be going to "church"!
The first step in solving a "Problem",is to recognise that you have a "Problem"!
And this country/culture,has a BIG DRINKING PROBLEM!
"Diario Libre" reports three children in Santiago,already admitted to hospitals,one 10 year old DEAD!
And it's only Tuesday!
And their "parents" are responsible.But nothing will be done about it!
And "COCO" your,"If You Don'T Love It,Leave It",Bull$hit" is so old it has "wiskers"!
We chose to live here,that doesn't mean we have to support criminal behavior!
And it doesn't mean we have to love everything in "Paradise"!
May I suggest you take a long drive About 1 am Sunday morning,just to "Cool Off"?????
Cris Colon
Someone smart enough to stay "indoors" this "Holy HELL WEEK"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

And out of a colon comes? Sh**t?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Yes some think its morbid and others appalling but the real sad truth is the fact that innocent non drinking drivers, pedestrians etc who will be in the wrong place at the wrong time and due to the negligence of some fool or fools will lose their life.