22 of us in February and would like to bring something for the Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
My group and I all belong to an organization that works with youth and Veterans in our community and are interested in helping the kids somehow when we arrive in February.

With 22 of us traveling and not sure if we will be stopping at any schools or not (we would like to) I would like to know what items we could each pack and either drop off at Checkpoint or give to a school when we visit.

please tell me what is the best thing to do.....

I have done much research these past months and would like to do what we can to help out.....

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i can tell you from my last trip don't forget the school teachers. things like dry erase boards (if one can fit in your luggage), dry erasers, markers or books in spanish for kids of all ages. i am bringing some items for teachers and possibly trying to buy some uniforms for some kids in january.
as stated there are many contacts on this forum.

good luck

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
BettyB2- this is wonderful.

There are so many schools, teachers and children in need! There are several really good organizations that can help out.

However - they do not encourage you to personally go to the schools and here is why. IF every group or person bringing items went to the schools they would never get any work done. A visit is not disruptive for 15 minutes it can take much longer to settle things down and get back to work. It is difficult enough to teach and learn with all the day to day issues: heavy rain, electricity issues, short schedules etc.........

Please don't go to a school personally, use one of the organizations. OR, if you prefer I can pick it up and deliver it for you to Beyond the Beach. NO problem at all.

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks everyone again for all the great advice and will do more research on the subject before we arrive. We will do what we can and I will spread the word amongst our group. We won't go to a school if that is the proper thing to do - its just that one of the tours we were THINKING of doing, The Monster Truck - they stop at the school during the excursion.

I will keep in touch and let you know what we can do. I will even see if I can get some of my other traveling companions who will NOT be on this trip to help out with some donations. thanks again

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Betty: I think, in our short exchanges, that you do not want to appear to be the rich folks handing out coins to the beggers....

Please work with an organization that will insure a proper use and distribution of your wonderful help. One of our posters brought down real, honest to God, US playground quality Swing seats!! They were an instant hit (After we spent a few 1000 getting the chains and bolts to hang them properly.....)

A few packets of Costco pensils and erasers....Chalk and blackboard erasers.
Even poster paper, small notebooks....

Toothbrushes, fingernail brushes..anything hygiene related...

Stuff that can be had for pennies...

HB

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks Hillbilly

Thanks HB! We want to do the "right" and proper thing when we arrive and will heed the information I have received on these boards.

My group really wants to do the Monster Truck and can we ask NOT to go to a school and instead I can deliver items to an organization/person for the kids? I dont want to disrupt the kids in the classrooms but have heard it is a VERY rewarding thing to see the faces of the children when you bring supplies to them while in school. Going to do more research.

I help to raise funds and supply food and Christmas presents to 5-8 families each year that belong to a Food Cupboard and it is VERY rewarding to deliver them a turkey, ham and trimmings along with the gifts for their children 2 days before Christmas. It is only one of my three youth groups that I support.
I also host/organize 2 picnics every summer for kids from The Fresh Air Fund (poor children from NYC) and seeing them catch their first fish or first time on a pony is priceless. I love it and just would love to be able to interact with the children somehow...... (sorry to ramble, but this morning coffee has me going):surprised

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Sousa Kids

An excellent person to contact would be FireGuy on these boards. Also, see this post about Sosua Kids http://www.dr1.com/forums/465416-post45.html

Thanks so much Chris for the link, and will contact Fireguy for additional advice. I have decided that we will be a part of the Sousa Kids project as we already plan to stop at the Checkpoint throughout our 9 day stay, so no problem to drop off donations. The pictures of those kids are priceless.....

Also checked out the Mustard Seed Project and could probably share our donation between the two groups.....

I am willing to pack an extra suitcase for donations and want to bring items that are needed/wanted - I can get a lot of clothes for 45 lb!!! I noticed the kids from Gregario Luperon School all wear the blue top and beige slacks/skirts - is this the same throughout DR?
Want to help!

Last edited:
BettyB2

Great idea's, you have picked some good organizations to help

Mustard Seed, Sosua Kids and the Dream Project (Cabarete) are all good organizations.

Checkpoint is a great spot to drop off donations, Colleen will see they get to the most deserving spot, she is also a drop off point for Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation ( Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation )

Please do contact Fireguy prior to the 15th of December as he is leaving for the DR that day Gregg@beyondthebeach.ca

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Checkpoint is a great spot to drop off donations, Colleen will see they get to the most deserving spot, she is also a drop off point for Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation ( Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation )

Please do contact Fireguy prior to the 15th of December as he is leaving for the DR that day Gregg@beyondthebeach.ca

I meant to say Beyond the Beach to bring donations for as well, I have been doing so much research the brain is boggled. I will get a list of items for my group to see what they can bring....
thanks again

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
Howdy folks and "planner"...

Not to bring the stuff to schools personally??? I'm retired teacher--fairly recent. Wouldn't think of going to the classroom. Drop off at front entrance-office with Principal. Then ya know it's going to the right place. No need to visit a classroom.

BTW, if it takes a while to "quiet down the kids" after one leaves...the teacher needs to learn better classroom management techniques. I have, under my belt, eight years as elementary teacher and 26 algebra and geometry..in high school. Dry erasers, dry markers, pencils (got a zillion) and a few other goodies. Bringing the size huge suitcase.

Take care and happy landings always...

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
School supplies, clothing, food; all very good stuff, but please bring toys also. One of my most precious memories is of someone (forget who), giving me a yo-yo..... After so many years, I still remember and thank him/her for it because we (my parents) were so poor and could not afford it. I enjoyed it so much!!....

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks again and Don I appreciate you sharing that memory and will keep that in mind when bringing toys to DR. Did someone give you the yo-yo in school or on the street? Not sure how this would work.

If we go on the Monster Truck tour, we stop at a school and if we dont, we will make donations at the Checkpoint. But I am sure there is nothing like the smile and appreciation of a childs face when you give them a toy. please tell me more.

cuas

May 29, 2006
If you want to see the happy faces surprise them when they get out of school. There will be no interruption in class. Not a good advice for high schoolers because of the chaos it can create. Or in a church. Not leaving the items in the church but giving them out in the church, and not only to churchmembers.
I like my one to one contact so I can see who is really in need, like worn shoes or clothes, so I have a special group of families for my next trip.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear "olddog" and a note to Betty:"

Hey Dog, look the teachers here, the ones in the public system don't have dry boards as a rule. Old fashoned chalk will be great (colors). I would even suggest blackboard paint, but that is a no-no post 9/11....

Betty: The schoolchildren of the DR have the blue top and khaki bottoms (pants or skirts according to each schools ability) as a national uniform. It keeps costs down.
The private schools have different uniforms, making it easy to tell one from the other.

I really enjoy seeing this Christmas Spirit, you guys are going to be so happy you did this....and just between you and me....it really doesn't matter how you do it, but Mustard Seed and Sos?a Kids are two of the best. There is one in POP called Integraci?n Juvenil that does great work too.

May God bless you all.

HB

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
My group really wants to do the Monster Truck and can we ask NOT to go to a school and instead I can deliver items to an organization/person for the kids? I dont want to disrupt the kids in the classrooms but have heard it is a VERY rewarding thing to see the faces of the children when you bring supplies to them while in school. Going to do more research.

The Monster Truck trip visit to a school is different (IMO at least) as it is planned and with the agreement of the school. They benefit directly because of supplies etc and the Monster Truck company invest in communities, building clinics etc. Also, after the big hurricaine hit the East (about 8 years ago?) the trucks were immediatly dispatched out to help in rescue and recovery in the communities that had been hit. (The trucks in the east are even bigger than those in the north). ALso, I *think I'm right in saying this* The Monster Truck changes routes regularly, so that different schools have the chance to benefit, rather than selected ones getting better supplied long term while others get nothing. With these points in mind, I would be happy to use them, both for a great trip but also as a way to distribute supplies directly & personally.

Turning up un-announced at a school is different.

When I was there last week, I found out that teachers are 'rationed' in their chalk use, so lots of chalk in my suitcase next time!

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
Howdy dooooooo Hillbilly...

Thanx a ton for the head's up on dry erase-whiteboard stuff. Something seemed wrong. That stuff is flat expensive and here in South Florida only goes into new schools. Erasers alone cost like "he" double hockey stick.

Will load up on chalk....good stuff, dustless. Cheap stuff is......cheap.

Take care and happy landings always...

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
thanks and.....

If you want to see the happy faces surprise them when they get out of school. There will be no interruption in class. Not a good advice for high schoolers because of the chaos it can create. Or in a church. Not leaving the items in the church but giving them out in the church, and not only to churchmembers.
I like my one to one contact so I can see who is really in need, like worn shoes or clothes, so I have a special group of families for my next trip.
Cuas - that is wonderful and thanks for the advice. I like the idea of going after school, what time does school let out. Is there a school is Sousa that we could visit "after school"?. I would love to have one on one contact out and help a family as well......

HB - thanks as always for your help and explanations. I am so looking forward to vacation!

KEITH - thanks for the information. I just dont know which way to go as I love the idea of a day on the Monster Truck and visiting a school. I spoke to someone from there today and was assured that they do not disrupt the class and the donations go right there.....But then I hear from others that it is not good to do that - - I am torn. How many kids are in typical school/class that we would stop at?

BAD NEWS - Continental canceled their 9am flights to POP and STI DAILY and moved them to 7:50am (we land at 7:48) so NOW have to fly into Newark one day early (they will put us up in hotel) and although I DREAD having to carry luggage thru Newark 2 suitcases, 2 carryons, video camera and misc and to a hotel and then have to go through checking luggage again in the morning -UGH
I AM STILL GOING TO PACK ONE EXTRA SUITCASE AND LOAD IT UP FOR THE KIDS! If I can get 50 lbs of stuff over there for people that need it and fly it there for FREE then I will do it. Once we get into DR I will be a happy woman (as well as my 20 friends/family coming with us). This WILL NOT be a good way to start out our vacation:disappoin

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
KEITH - thanks for the information. I just dont know which way to go as I love the idea of a day on the Monster Truck and visiting a school. I spoke to someone from there today and was assured that they do not disrupt the class and the donations go right there.....But then I hear from others that it is not good to do that - - I am torn. How many kids are in typical school/class that we would stop at?

We've done the Monster Safari twice, once from PoP and once from Bavaro. Both times there was a small class of about eight to ten kids. Neither occasion felt 'disruptive' as the teacher and kids knew we were coming. I'd recommend it, great trip and the supplies can go straight to the place that will use them. Split what you bring down and distribute to different places.

Status
Not open for further replies.