24/7 electricity

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Dominican Math?

In reply to Ringo
Since 24 hr power in Perla Marina we have taken various measures to keep our consumption as low as possible but we also have a generator. It is now only run it for a maintenance run once a month or for power management - run down the invertor batteries, switch the generator on for 6 hours , charge batteries - putting about 16 kWh in them - if we are getting close to magic 700 kWh
Our consumption of Diesel over the long run of two years has been 0.34 gallons per hour which roughly works out a 35 RD$ per hour run and 12-18 RD$ per kWh depending on how you work it out. This does not take into account maintenance such as oil changes, filters etc once a year.
The generator is a 3 cylinder Petter Engine Diesel rated at 11 KVA.

It does make sense to run the generator for 6 hours ( cost 200 RD$) to stay under 700KWh when you save 2000 to 3000 RD$ by doing so.

Thanks also Ringo for pointing out reply #6 about deep cycle batteries not liking long periods of float charging.

Olly

6 hours x RD$35.00 per hour = RD$210.00 x 30 days per month = RD$6,300.00, BUT how is that cheaper.

Maintance, fuel equipment cost, with a planta you can not provide yourself electricity cheaper than the SUR's even as high as it is.

We produce our energy with a 650kva planta, (at the business) even it costs more, but it is the CONVIENACE that we pay for.

Nothing, and I mean nothing can beat a good inverter set up of any size.

Although a plantica is good to have for the someday hurricane but bar that, inverter is as my facts bear out a great deal for those of us yet without 24/7 power even after paying electric bills of 3,000 - 7,000 pesos for the last eight years.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
donluis99,
If you use it for two or three days saving about 50kWh so that you stay under 700 kWh on the ednorte bill it save you money.
As you say for thirty days its not cheaper but cost 12-17 RD$ per kilowatt

Olly

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I always wonder why it is possible for "Luz&Fuerza", the Las Terrenas power company, to provide a 24/7 service, and collect money from all users, while the rest of the nation can't achieve the same goal...

I have LT electric in El Limon and I can say that I do not have 24 hours of elec....it is off just about every day for some period of time...a couple of hours or so....and it is very very expensive electric...4000 pesos a month is not unusual...without AC
bob

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
donluis99,
If you use it for two or three days saving about 50kWh so that you stay under 700 kWh on the ednorte bill it save you money.
As you say for thirty days its not cheaper but cost 12-17 RD$ per kilowatt

Olly

If you only use the genset two or three days per month even at twice the price, for the purpose to stay below the 700 KWh, yes you would save over all on your factura de luz, I agree.

Such as 28th billing day and your contador is at 697 you shut off the luz de la calle and they read the contador on TIME.....................before you go back online.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I have LT electric in El Limon and I can say that I do not have 24 hours of elec....

;) :) El Lim?n is another universe from Las Terrenas :) ;)

Downtown LT, we pretty much have a 24/7 service...

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ednorte Rates Under 700kWh

From our last bill Price in RD$:

First 75 kWh 3.12
125 kWh 3.12
100kWh 4.75
100 kWh 7.00
100 KWh 7.00
100 kWh 7.00
100 kWh 7.00

Over 700 total all kWh from 0 are charged at 8.45

Olly

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Sorry the last price should be 8.57 RD$ per kWh for all from 0 to 700 plus if you go over 700 kWh

Olly

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thank you Olly, Your post are much clearer then mine... lol
I was going to ask ... why am I paying .17 more per kwh then you? But you are the same.

Ringo

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Puerto Plata?? Bad Luck ! !

I live in 1 of the Cofresi sections of Puerto Plata. For the past 6 - 9 - 12 months, the electricity - Edenorte- has been close to perfection, ie 18 - 20 hours / day.
* But, . . . since @ 15may07, the situation has cratered; now?

* Public power @ 12 - 14 - 16 hours / day. Why? I don't know.

* Nearly all of the neighborhood homes are foreign & privately owned; we must & do pay our Edenorte bills in a timely manner.

* Any other POP residents having similar experiences? Explanations? Thank you.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
yep, it back to worse than normal

After a few days of 24-7 electric we have had a day and one half of no electric at all. This is worse than what we had before, at least that was predictable. Oh well, nothing is permanent. Its still way way better than Miami on its best day.

OceansAura1

Jun 14, 2007
I was wondering what the situation is about solar elecrticity? I am completely ignorant to the electrical situation in the DR, and can see it is obviously a problem. Do any of you use solar? If not, why not?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I was wondering what the situation is about solar elecrticity? I am completely ignorant to the electrical situation in the DR, and can see it is obviously a problem. Do any of you use solar? If not, why not?

Yes, everyone should .. but the cost, the time to recouping the investment, the difficulty up to now to bring in solar components .. and so on and so on.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Miami on a good day

After days of 24 7 electricity the situation has reversed itself, days with nothing then bursts of high voltage then more days with nothing. Regarding Miami, there is lots for me to complain about. Ah, we gringos love to complain, heh,heh,heh. Here its mostly the juice. I invested in real estate in Miami and the Keys. We were hit hard with falling property values, skyrocketing insurance and property taxes after a tiny hurricane with winds of no more than 110. It shut south Florida down for weeks, no electric, gas, food, computers, nothing. Its how I came down here, running from the storm. South Florida is woefully unprepared for even a minor hurricane. The gas stations and supermarkets have no generators. When the electic goes there is nothing. The federal goverment moved in and offered us ice if we waited in the sun on long lines. To recover from the insurance companies the damage to your home had to be catastropic otherwise it was either excluded or had such a high deductible that few met it. It has gotten so bad that the state legislature is in special session to try and find a fix. This was a small storm. A severe storm will be like New Orleans. And you have this threat every summer. Who wants to live like that. For me I will take a few days without electricity, that I am able to manage. signed, happy as hell in the DR

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
:laugh::p
OMG, for a moment I was bewildered...
I had read "happy in hell as the DR". :cheeky:

m'frog

Sorry Froggie but he seems to be right. We complain about corrupt tactics in DR, but from my many friends in the USA they appear to have corruption in many fields there. :laugh::p just had a power cut whilst I was typing this!! THEY must have been watching me from the satellite

cork

Aug 23, 2003
24/7?

That is 24/7 with no power. One extreme to the other. Luz has been gone since Friday around 9PM, not even a flicker of power.

On the bright (during daytime anyway) side the next schedule of interruptions is conspicously missing "Camino Los Llibres" as being scheduled for outage. Ironic isn't it?