24 year old Canadian dies in motorcycle accident in Cabrera

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cobraboy

More wrecks are caused by helmets than any lives saved.
Complete 100% nonsense, Derf.

Hearing is very low on the scale of motorcycle safety. Vision is #1 by a massive margin.

More people have wrecks cause by poor scan and poor anticipation in conjunction with poor training.

F

frank12

Helmet's save lives. Period. I don't think anyone familiar with the stats would even question this.

But here's another elephant in the room that few people are familiar with or want to talk about: how about the tens of thousands of dollars people and the state spend every year on people who otherwise would have gotten up and walked away from a motorcycle accident if they had been wearing a helmet? How about all the missed work days they could have avoided by wearing a helmet? How about all of the eye-injuries from rocks, bugs, sand, and debris from the road that is constantly flying in one's eyes? Ever get hit with a rock or insect at 50mph? It's enough to crack your visor.

And then there's the time spent in the hospital recovering, time spent in rehab, time spent at home in bed, etc.

I'm not for forcing people to wear a helmet, but myself, i always wear one, and cannot imagine not wearing one and having things bombard my face and eyes day and night. How about the rain? Ever get hit in the face by a raindrop at 65MPh? It's like getting shot!

Wearing a helmet is a personal choice, but i also think its a reflection of a person's intelligence.

C

Cdn_Gringo

And saving one life is better than none.

That is pretty much a fallacy. It makes no practical sense to expend an inordinate amount of finite resources to pursue such a limited net gain. This concept is just a justification to feel good for an endeavor that is otherwise a failure in concept and realization.

There are reasons why an entity would pursue a "lost cause" program but those reasons have nothing to do with saving lives or bringing about real change.

The only thing that will save lives on any meaningful scale, is the strict enforcement of the requirement to wear a helmet at all times when operating a non-enclosed vehicle. Efforts are better spent bringing about increased enforcement of the current laws than giving out new helmets that won't be used as intended.

C

cobraboy

Helmet's save lives. Period. I don't think anyone familiar with the stats would even question this.

But here's another elephant in the room that few people are familiar with or want to talk about: how about the tens of thousands of dollars people and the state spend every year on people who otherwise would have gotten up and walked away from a motorcycle accident if they had been wearing a helmet? How about all the missed work days they could have avoided by wearing a helmet? How about all of the eye-injuries from rocks, bugs, sand, and debris from the road that is constantly flying in one's eyes? Ever get hit with a rock or insect at 50mph? It's enough to crack your visor.

And then there's the time spent in the hospital recovering, time spent in rehab, time spent at home in bed, etc.

I'm not for forcing people to wear a helmet, but myself, i always wear one, and cannot imagine not wearing one and having things bombard my face and eyes day and night. How about the rain? Ever get hit in the face by a raindrop at 65MPh? It's like getting shot!

Wearing a helmet is a personal choice, but i also think its a reflection of a person's intelligence.
It may be a personal choice, but not wearing a helmet causes society to suffer, if in no other way but financially.

Driving is a privilege. Society has deemed that traffic laws, rules, and regulations reduce the financial burden that accidents cause. Insurance is required to execute one's privilege, reducing the potential financial damage caused to a third party.

In the states am fine if one chooses not to wear a helmet ...IF they post a bond that covers their personal medical costs resulted from not wearing a helmet.

In the DR I no longer have much sympathy for deaths and carnage to motorcyclists who don't wear a helmet or protective gear. They know better, but suffer from chronic "It Won't Happen To Me" syndrome. "I'm only going down the street" is where most motorcycle accidents happen.

C

CristoRey

Did she own or rent the bike?
I used to own/ rent motor scooters
to tourist while living in Pattaya, Thailand.
Each rental came with two helmets.

E

Ecoman1949

So much truth in one simple sentence.

I never assumed political correctness and intelligence were mutually inclusive. Now I have proof. In Canada we now have laws exempting Sikhs from wearing motorcycle helmets to accommodate their religious and cultural beliefs in one province. I have two problems with this. It discriminates against all non Sikh motorcycle riders who don’t have the choice to wear or not wear helmets. Any motorcycle accidents involving Sikh motorcyclists not wearing helmets will invariably result in major head trauma, long term hospital stays, expensive therapy, and costs to our medical system that could have been avoided by simply wearing a helmet. Canada always had stringent helmet safety laws from coast to coast. The pursuit of political correctness has in reality become the pursuit of pure crap. The US is a smorgasbord of helmet laws from state to state, and the DR is a classic example of what not to do, legislation with no enforcement. Safety appears to be taking a back seat to the convoluted politics of the strange world we live in today. Some might argue it’s a right of choice. Maybe so, but when the choice affects my ability to access limited medical resources, then I’m all for big brother stepping in and making helmets mandatory.

Last edited:
W

william webster

The RCMP allows the Sikh to not wear the traditional hat....
terrible bending of the rules....

UK did the same I think... so no surprise really

Canada has been knuckling under in language for a looong time.... Quebec

C

cobraboy

Some might argue it’s a right of choice. Maybe so, but when the choice affects my ability to access limited medical resources, then I’m all for big brother stepping in and making helmets mandatory.
My position exactly.

If you can post a bond to cover a lifetime of medical care due to head injury, by all means, don't wear a helmet.

But if you can't post that bond, you are costing ME resources you have no right to confiscate against my will.

Helmet laws are not just to help the wearer. I don't care about the wearer. They also exist to protect society from the costs of that personal choice.

I

irishpaddy

Did she own or rent the bike?
I used to own/ rent motor scooters
to tourist while living in Pattaya, Thailand.
Each rental came with two helmets.
if it comes with 4 helmets ...no good if they don't wear them

C

cobraboy

I hope her death motivates others to use a brain bucket, full-faced or modular preferred.

She thought it would never happen to her, and was going a few blocks away.

Maybe that'll be on her headstone.

B

Big

Its a complex dilemma (Helmets) for all the legislators to hash out, right there with seat-belts, alcohol consumption, smoking, firearms, big sugar drinks, obesity.

W

wrecksum

Its a complex dilemma (Helmets) for all the legislators to hash out, right there with seat-belts, alcohol consumption, smoking, firearms, big sugar drinks, obesity.

Failing to use helmets and seat belts does not endanger other people.

B

Big

Failing to use helmets and seat belts does not endanger other people.

Nor does consuming massive amounts of fast food and sugary drinks. But when diabetes and obesity hit and they are chronically ill and can't work we all pay, same concept.... Less govt is always better

W

wrecksum

Nor does consuming massive amounts of fast food and sugary drinks. But when diabetes and obesity hit and they are chronically ill and can't work we all pay, same concept.... Less govt is always better
Think I got it.
Fat drunks should wear helmets.

W

waytogo

It appears this thread has run it's course.......

TravelHippo, if you have anything worthwhile to add, please PM me......

Status
Not open for further replies.