5 gallon water bottles in santiago...blah

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Only 'si Dios quiere'.

"Salud P?blica" is totally understaffed and do not have the means to check the 540 water 'factories' for a safe product.
(There was an article about this situation in a local newspaper the other day.)

At times the odd plant is shut down but I have never heard of one not reopening after a short time.

donP
A bunch got shut down not long ago.

I suppose if they clean thing up and operate properly they reopen.

Dominicans aren't stupid. They don't want to drink bad water either.

Those filters work very well.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Relatively Harmless

I don't even know what a fecal coliform is, but I definitely don't want to swallow it.

Unless it's too much of that it won't bring you down.
Coliforms are found in the bowels of any warm-blooded living being... :bunny: and your system can tolerate a certain amount.
However, whenever they are detected the probability of pathogens of serious diseases must be assumed.
Testing for coliforms is easy and cheap and if they are found it suggests further contamination.

donP

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Unless it's too much of that it won't bring you down.
Coliforms are found in the bowels of any warm-blooded living being... :bunny: and your system can tolerate a certain amount.
However, whenever they are detected the probability of pathogens of serious diseases must be assumed.
Testing for coliforms is easy and cheap and if they are found it suggests further contamination.

donP

It sounds like getting good water is a hit and miss proposition here. I don't like the odds or the consequenses. Is the soda here any better since it's bottled here.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
As Matilda says, Agua Crystal is your solution, maybe Planeta Azul can be good, but you can't go wrong with Crystal.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes crystal and Planeta azul if in Santo Domingo, but if you live in Santiago Agua "Cascada".

JJ

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
We spent some time a couple years ago surveying Dominican attitudes towards the use of bottled water and were surprised how many have converted to it, even out in the campo. We found that even the heads of INAPA bought bottled water. While the use of chlorinated water is one of the cheapest and most effective ways to produce large volumes of potable water, it also has to take into account the chlorine source, the water temperature, distance the water travels and time between application and the end user. Add all this to the leaky Dominican public plumbing system, and it was funny to see the INAPA guys go-no way I'm drinking that stuff. Then you back to your Dominican host family which serves you bottled water after you watch them rinse your lettuce or cabbage leaves under the tap. Oh well.