5 gallon water bottles

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Let me add that none of my family or visitors has experienced any stomach or intestinal disorders since we installed the system.

There are several of us my area who have the system and we all share this experience.

This is not said to refute the above comment or article.
Just a report from a user.... a layman with no expertise .

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have a ceramic filter system to be used after a hurricane or earthquake flattens the area and bottled water availability dries up for a period of time. It has never been out of the box. It's one of those just in case items. I have several "Lifestraws" on hand and always have one when I venture off the beaten path on my ATV.

Thus far I have had to use neither. I've had no issues with my bottled water supplier and I keep my cistern full to the brim all the time. The dogs prefer the bottled water, then the pool water and if no other choice, water from the cistern. At one point I had a tinaco as well, but no longer.

The OP is the unluckiest person I have read posting on DR1. Boyfriend issues, Landlord issues, Rent issues, bottled drinking water issues and I am sure other issues she hasn't yet shared. I shudder to think what's next...

Her luck has to change, law of averages.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
...The OP is the unluckiest person I have read posting on DR1. Boyfriend issues, Landlord issues, Rent issues, bottled drinking water issues and I am sure other issues she hasn't yet shared. I shudder to think what's next...

Her luck has to change, law of averages.

Maybe not. Maybe she's the Joe Btfsplk of DR1

joebtfsplk_1.jpg

He was one of the great characters in Al Capp's "Li'l Abner" comic strip.

The world's most loving friend and worst jinx, he always traveled with a perpetually dark rain cloud over his head.

Once he appeared on any scene, dreadfully bad luck befell anyone in his vicinity.

Though well-meaning and gentle, his reputation preceded him such that he was very lonely and feared.

His creator, Al Capp, pronounced Btfsplk with a "raspberries" sound, aka a "Bronx cheer."

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2005/02/joe_btfsplk.html

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Ultra violet light kills like 99.9 % of all living organisms in water.
Its one of the steps in the Reverse Osmosis Units.. available all over ebay.. Not very expensive, but perhaps bulky with the tank to bring to the DR.

Problem is they work with Plumbed water,(constant pressure) not water bottles.
I really have no knowledge of how you would use it in the DR
but its what we use for Well water, besides the whole house 10 Micron, then
Carbon Block, and then 5 micron spun filters..
The kitchen then has the Reverse Osmosis, which has like 9 different stages to it, but the UV is the one which kills all living organisms.
The Cononut Shell carbon block sweetens the water and is the last stage before you drink it.
The quality of the water is way beyond anything you can buy in a bottle.
just a thought.
I have read, if you're not in a rush or have a couple of spares to sit on a ledge, you can leave the plastic water bottle in the sunlight for a few days. It has to be plastic, glass filters out UV light.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Very interesting, our Colmado has all the bottles sitting in the hot sun every day. Maybe that is a good thing.

I have read, if you're not in a rush or have a couple of spares to sit on a ledge, you can leave the plastic water bottle in the sunlight for a few days. It has to be plastic, glass filters out UV light.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I don't buy water at a Colmado where the water is sitting in the sun. That's when you get plastic taste.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
UV light doesn't kill anything, it scrambles the organism's DNA resulting in an organism that cannot reproduce into the numbers needed to overwhelm the immune system. Swallowing a few bacteria, virus, or protozoa won't make you sick. Ingesting a few that then becomes many, can and does.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I am officially grossed out now and do not want to drink any water in this country after seeing miniscule larvae swimming in my bottled water.
Is there a brand that you trust to be clean?
Does anyone have a water filtration system or is it standard to use the bottled water to drink and cook with.

Can't you drink beer? Those things cannot live in beer!
Der Fish

May 29, 2006
Make sure you put a cap over any open five gallon bottle, or better, get one of those $3 air pumps. I passed by a water purification place a few days ago and they have some serious equipment. Place must be over 300 sq meters and several stories high.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The thought of even trying to "home filter" the disease plagued toilet water that comes from our taps is just unthinkable.

One way or another the DR is gonna kill us, just when...............

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Without mentioning the names of the companies that failed.

Similar to SalamiGate I guess. We found problems, but we won't tell you who or what. The article is not much use expect for taking up space. Are we to assume the problems are not serious enough to recall the water already in the stores but it is serious enough to prevent the shipping of more?

I'm confused.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Interesting. Can you give us an idea of the cost of a whole home vs point-of-use system?

$2000 for my house..... everything - showers toilets, the works.

We have had not even one stomach issue since installation
and my houseful of women swear their hair better...... hogwash !! I say

well worth it, IMO

Oct 11, 2010
$2000 for my house..... everything - showers toilets, the works.

We have had not even one stomach issue since installation
and my houseful of women swear their hair better...... hogwash !! I say

well worth it, IMO

Have you had your water laboratory tested since the installation?

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
So these 5 gallon waters. If you put some bleach in it will that help and how much would you put in?