$500,000.00

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hi John,
For schools you can try The International School of Sosua (where a friend of mine is a teacher) or Greg Muvaney's school in Costamber (where my neighbour sends her children). There is also 'The Learning Tree' here in Puerto Plata. If you want e-mail addresses or web-pages, just e-mail me & I'll get them for you.

On the subject of investing, a LOT of what is said above re the safety in this country is true - Scott & I use the same finance house & I have never had a moments worry for my investment. HOWEVER, I do suggest you only invest when YOU have done your own checking & are happy/confident in your own mind - there is little point in doing something if you have doubts about the personnel you are dealing with & HERE you always need to have doubts until you have proved things to yourself!! Scott (plus about 25 others I have introduced to the finance house over the last 6 years) & I are happy with "Our Man" because he is honest & straightforward & has never given us cause for alarm, .... BUT, YOU need to be comfortable with him if you think of going down that line!! You can only do that by meeting him face to face & discussing his & YOUR needs for the forseeable future!!

Many years ago I wrote some articles for people thinking of coming to live on the North Coast. I think I have them still on file for easy downloading. Drop me a line if you think these might be of interest. I'll have to update them for the vast increase of prices we have suffered as a result of "El Hippo" this past 12/18 months, but that shouldn't take more than a day or two to complete. - Grahame.

JOHNQ

Dec 11, 2003
ESCOTT
I've only been able to read articles on the north coast (Puerto Plata and surrounding areas) which seems to me like the perfect place to race my kids.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
JohnQ, On this message board you will get excellent advise from other DR1 members. A good number of posters are living on the North coast so naturally you will get the most information about that area. From what I have learned on DR1 the North coast is a great place to live. The posters here have done a great job of promoting the North Coast and I believe they have had a big part in helping that area grow and also improving the economy there. You can't go wrong with thier experinced advice. Keep in mind that there are many other good areas of the country to consider also. The best advice is to listen to the part about not buying a residence right away. There are plenty of comfortable and affordable condos or apartments to rent. This way once you get there and start to travel the island and get to know different areas you can make a wise decision for long term living if you like the lifestyle. Good Luck!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Originally posted by JOHNQ ESCOTT I've only been able to read articles on the north coast (Puerto Plata and surrounding areas) which seems to me like the perfect place to race my kids.
Well I chose the North Coast for numerous reasons. First reason is that it is not prone to Hurricanes like the South Coast is. Even when one was passing by this summer I really didn't worry about it at all. They just don't touch down there for some reason historically. We were all taken by surprise by the Earthquake but that hadn't happened in 60 years.

Dulce says that we promote the North Coast and we are responsible for the good climate for living there but... I would like to believe that because I would consider it a compliment but not sure that what we say here really makes that big of a difference. Maybe a small difference because those of us that put down roots there enjoy it. And you get guys like Grahame who talks it up so he can get people to bring him down Pipe tabacco!:) KIDDING GRAHAME, you are a wealth of info and a lot of help to many people. I thank you for it.

I know that people have moved there and told me that I was the reason and others relocate there from the South but that is because probably of the Parties I throw that gets us all together. At that time they see the community that I have joined there that has already been there way before me.

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
Escott said:
No such thing as PERFECT safety. There is risk in everything but you try to qualify the degree of risk.

Very true

"30% in bond funds presently will return about 4% if you are lucky. "

Not True. I can give several pages of better than that out of Schwab if you would like. You must have a qualifier you're not sharing, or you're just plain wrong. Since the subject is finance, I'm betting on the qualifier.

"I bet you recommended Cisco and Intel along with Sun Micro 5 years ago. I will forgive you the Lucents and Worldcomms of this world along with all those companies that have failed over the last 5 years. "

Rode out the crash in cash and bonds. Missed the last year of the runup though, and the first six months of the current rebound. Bonds are in the mix for balance, and that is a very good strategy. You're right about the return if and only if you invest in very conservative government funds. Personally, I think the trend for the next decade is going to be deflationary, so bonds better than just required for balance, but I don't claim precognition. In general I wouldn't touch tech with your money let alone mine. Anyone investing in individual tech equities is cerifiable IMO.

<snip>

"I have been investing in one particular Finance house in POP for 3-4 years now and have been very happy with my investment. I know many others right on this board that have invested also and have the same thoughts and happiness as I do. "

As soon as I get there, I will be investigating that place also. IIRC I've got the name stashed away somewhere. Got it from you in fact.

"As far as the US IRS goes, as an American with a Dominican Residency I am able to make 78-80k off shore tax free as long as I declare it on my income taxes but still have to pay all taxes on income made in the US. I just sent in a 25k check towards NEXT years taxes so I don't suffer any penalties. So far I have paid in 38k in taxes to the US government without even knowing what my obligation will be. I have corps in the DR that manage investments in everything including Real Estate. I draw a salary from these corps. The IRS frowns on NOTHING I do. If I ever made 80k in the DR I would move that offshore because that would be prudent. I don't need that much income in the DR to live like the pig that I am."

Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember saying that the IRS frowned on offshore capital movement. The term I used was "antsy". I will stand by that assessment. Nothing illegal about it, be they do watch this crap alot closer than US income. My plan is to leave most of my money in US, so its not a problem.

"Keep the good opinions coming. Opinions are just like assholes, everybody has one."

Indeed.

As to the original question about 10% - that's about what S&P has averaged for a lot of decades, although that doesn't count infalation.

Mike

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Mike,
It is only a question of time that the US raises interest rates from this 55 year low. When interest rates rise the value of your bond mutual fund will go down in value. This will offset any gains you get from dividends on the fund. If you bought bond funds before the interest rates dropped your fund value would have risen giving you a capitol gain along with the interest. I thought we were talking about high quality bonds and bond funds?

So needless to say I think investing in bonds are not a good investment at THIS time. I had complete retirement accounts in Bond funds for 5 years as the interest rates fell and made out like a bandit. Stocks also crapped the bed at the same time so my returns were positive compared to negative of everyone that was in Stocks and Stock funds.

Oye..>I hate talking about stocks and bonds.

John... The DR may not be perfect in any way for you. You need to check it out because believe me there are plenty of people that cant stand the place. You have to find out if you and your family will thrive there or not. I know that I am thriving there. After all I have XR close by!

Scott

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
XR = short for Xanadu Ranch, a regular contributor on these forums also known as Tom.
I think the delay in Scott replying today is probably because he is out at XR redesigning the family abode of Tom!! - Grahame.