56 Years Ago Today...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The movie Butterflies was a fairly accurate depiction of the plight of the Mirabal sisters. In the movie, he wanted to bed one sister. She resisted and got involved in a political movement to end his reign of terror.
I just downloaded it.

May 29, 2006
The book if I remember was from the perspective of a teen girl coming of age in a middle class family. Alverez came to the US as a child with her family during the Trujillo regime, but I think she would be younger than the protagonist.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The film was not good at all - I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it. The book, upon which it is based, is excellent.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Book was Ok...film was horrible IMO.

Boring and predictable at times but not too bad. The violence is not graphic, more suggested than real. Her father was depicted as an unwilling supporter of Trujillo, like most DR people of that time. They did it to stay alive. It's the Hollywood version of events so the truth lies somewhere in between the facts and the fiction.

May 29, 2006
I prefer Salma Hyek with fewer clothes on or at least with Antonio Banderas in tow. Terrible adaptation, more using the book title and writing a completely different story "based on true events"

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We watched Times of the Butterflies last night.

While made for TV and not the most fantastic production values, for folks who are unaware of the history---like Mom CB---the film was adequate for a peek at life in the DR under Trujillo. She shed a tear, and spured her to wanting more knowledge of her newly adopted country.

For folks with a greater base of knowledge, and those who read the book, it probably lacked oomph.

Worth a watch, however.

I never bought Olmas as the dictator. He just never seemed the part, not enough rough edge...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Have you seen the Feast of the Goat? Also flawed but generally a better movie than ITTOTB. Your description of the actor playing Trujillo reminded me of it - the one in Feast of the Goat was also criticised for lacking RT's terrorising qualities. And our former car was used in the assassination scene.