911 emergencies

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Just another proof that Dominicans have no brain. The only way to get rid of unnecessary and fun calls is to make this call cost at least 100 pesos to the caller's phone bill or prepaid balance.

I'd rather be surrounded by 'dumb dominicans' with big hearts like those described by JD below than 'civilized' people with big brains that would look the other way when something like this occurs. It's not often you find a group of neighbors going out of their way like that...even in (or even less so) civilized countries.

When I lived in Puerto Plata, we had a fire that was caused by a voltage spike. Of course, it happened the day after I had an accident, so we were at the Clinica Brugal getting attention.

The voltage spike set an A/C on fire, which spread through the room in a very short time.

The neighbors saw the smoke, called the fire department, pried open a window to get in, then grabbed the hose and were able to put the fire out.

When we came home from the clinic, we turned into the driveway and were shocked to see most of our furniture in the yard.

Not only had the neighbors put out the fire, but they emptied the house, and were inside scrubbing the soot off the walls.

About 1/2 hour later, the fire truck arrived, sirens blazing.

And more importantly: nothing disappeared from the house.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Hopefully a law will, if not already be enacted to penalize those using it for prank calls.
RD$ 5,000 fine -house phone (owner) and if a cell phone prank call, no outgoing calls from
said phone.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the intentions are there, i'll give them that. admittedly when we once had a fire in POP, just few corners from the bomberos the cars did not arrive until after the building was reduced to ashes but they did arrive. rome was not built in a day. i am always happy to see changes being implemented in DR. the end results may differ but there is an effort being made. small steps.

further to this old story: Voraz incendio consume en minutos tres viviendas en el centro hist?rico de Puerto Plata

fire completely destroyed few buildings just corners away from bomberos who did arrive at the scene but without water to put down the fire....
lleg? un cami?n de Cuerpo de Bomberos municipales, pero s?lo a supervisar porque no ten?an agua para sofocar las llamas y fue preciso esperar que llegara otra unidad que sali? a recargar.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cameras Down

(...) "Crime" is down 60% due to the "911 System" (...)

I don't know whether crime went down, but some cameras obviously did... :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

[video=youtube;CRFJ-XAgBUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRFJ-XAgBUU[/video]

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "911 System" is just a "Puff Piece" by the government.
It will soon be forgotten.
Only purpose was to "Look Like They Care",...and to get big "Kick Backs" on the purchase.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

R3cycle

Sep 20, 2013
last week, I had a borracho pippero front of my house, yelling and throwing eggs to windows. Tried to call 911 (santiago), there was answering machine with a voice:

-Policia Nacional marque 1

-Ambulancia marque 2

-Bomberos marque 3

I pressed 1, then wait, wait wait...... I'm still waiting for an answer

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
We had the police pull up to the gate of the apartment last week .. car with horn and lights and then seemed like an entire swat team.. One neighbor went out to talk to them. Seems he bumped a car or something a few blocks away and the guy followed him home here and called 9 11 ..

so i guess it is working in some cases.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Honduras lauds Dominican Republic?s 911 system

I thought it has been already forgotten. Anyone tried to dial it lately? Is it still working?

Honduras lauds Dominican Republic?s 911 system

Dominican Republic?s 911 national emergency response system has become a point of reference for public safety, a success that prompted Honduras president Juan Orlando Hern?ndez to visit the country to observe its operation.

The Honduran leader met with president Danilo Medina at the National Palace Thursday and discussed regional issues of common interest.

Both presidents with their delegations then visited the 911facilities on Lincoln Av., to learn in detail about the system developed by the Dominican Government.

"It?s critical for people to feel cared for and protected by the State apparatus. These good practices are important for us in terms of improving what we have in Honduras," Hernandez said prior to departing.

===========================================================

b25f3e90093a85ac0274a5a41edb819c562155bc513fe9a05e2b64fa3443a27d.jpg

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I posted on 23 August that the 911 service would soon be forgotten, I just thought it might take a LITTLE Longer!!!!!!
Equipment bought, hick backs paid,Dog & Pony Shows given, FORGET ALL THE ABOVE!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
More expensive equipment, MORE KICK BACKS!!!!!
The real PURPOSE has nothing to do with the safety of the DR's citizens, but with the purchase of ?Yepetas?!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC