911 REALLy.

Feb 7, 2007
As I understand it, 9-1-1 was never meant to be for noise complaints. There's a different number for that. I called it once, shouting to be heard in my apartment (and I live right behind the police station) from the music blasting from the street below, and the operator said to me: "Music? What music?"

Indeed it was meant to report both emergencies and noise complaints from the very beginning. You can Google that.

Feb 7, 2007
Higuey, ambulances are heard frequently in the streets. To any traffic accident where ambulance is called , also comes a pair of AMET guys on motorcycle to take a report.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Indeed it was meant to report both emergencies and noise complaints from the very beginning. You can Google that.

Umm.... not according to them

20rpyh.jpg

FWIW, the number to call for noise complaints is 809 682 3151 ext. 5036

911 is not for vehicular problems either. A breakdown on the road is Asitencia vial 829 688 1000

Here's their FB: https://www.facebook.com/Sistema911RD/

JD

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
JDJones, Is that noise complaint number only for Santo Domingo or country wide?

TBH, I don't know. It would be nice if one of the north coast guys tried it and see what happens.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Umm.... not according to them

20rpyh.jpg

FWIW, the number to call for noise complaints is 809 682 3151 ext. 5036

911 is not for vehicular problems either. A breakdown on the road is Asitencia vial 829 688 1000

Here's their FB: https://www.facebook.com/Sistema911RD/

JD

The noise complaint was hashed out in a thread probably a year or so ago. Someone complained 911 wouldn't respond when she saw electrical sparks shooting out an electrical box. Needless to say dr1 determined that noise is NOT a 911 call. dr1 search function is not the easiest to use when trying to find an old thread. Maybe someone remembers and can dig it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Forget it.
Loud, obnoxious music is one of the characteristics of Dominican life.
It perfectly contributes nicely to the rest of the disorderly behaviors that one needs to tolerate in this island living.
Unfortunately, they tend to carry this particularly disgusting habit when abroad- its a form of inherited disease.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Forget it.
Loud, obnoxious music is one of the characteristics of Dominican life.
It perfectly contributes nicely to the rest of the disorderly behaviors that one needs to tolerate in this island living.
Unfortunately, they tend to carry this particularly disgusting habit when abroad- its a form of inherited disease.

I rarely agree with you, but yes, it does seem to be a cultural habit, however sometimes they play decent music. The guy living behind our school has a top notch system and normally plays ballad type music or Mark Antony type stuff. I can handle it for a couple of hours. Most of the obnoxious behavior in my neighbourhood consists of revving their ATV's as loud as possible as they climb my slanted street.