A bit concerned...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Perhaps you would like to reword this sentence. 'When' you get arrested? Good heavens! It is not a foregone conclusion.

I'm all for 'speaking out' and 'telling it like it is'. Seems to me people are being encouraged to be hysterical currently on this board.

Is there a secret society to keep all tourists out of the DR? Some society that I am not a member of?
I know what you mean.
Now that we have access to so much crime info, it gives the appearance of having gone from a sleepy village, to the pits of hell.
This stuff has been going on as long as I've been here, other than the rise in dope usage.
All the older members here should try to advise the newbies about security.
If they get alarmed, so be it.
At least they will be safe.
Crime is everywhere and we all have to do our part.
If we have no security, we are inviting crime.
We would also be encouraging criminals, by making it easy.
It's no different here than anywhere else, except that we have to take a personal interest, instead of cops or security companies doing it for us.
If we can't deal with that, we shouldn't be living here.
With all the freedom here, comes a certain amount of responsibility to do the right thing, without being told to do so.

I was victimized 50 times more in the early 90's, than I am now.
The difference is that I pay attention to making my property secure.
Is that so hard to do?

If you really believe the DR is a dangerous place to live, it's time you go check out some other parts of the world.

As for me, I'm laughing.
Never had it so good.
Comfy, cozy and secure.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Well Chris,

I know Im a little tired right now and usually would toe the DR1 line - but equally we should be honest.

There is no DR1 formal 'line'. The line is that we talk about things happening to us, and our neighbors. But, to repeat everything that is in the papers here, things that we have no firsthand knowledge of, is really too much.

How many people were killed in POP in the month of Jan 07?

I am told that its around 1.5 a day! Now POP isnt huge but between 30 - 40 people a month being killed is a significant number - YES Im sure some of these if not most of these "deserve" it in their "business" dealings and have it coming - however from what I have gleened from talking to people there murders are a lot more wide spread than what is reported on this site.

It is not our job to report on each and every drug related crime. There are lots of those I'm sure .. but I truly am not interested in exactly how many. We do our job here. Remember the Sosua Fiscal that was I think executed, our members still report on the investigation on a daily basis.

What do you think will be the reaction of tourists if every Dominican related crime is repeated here? If I saw all this on this board when I started looking into the DR, I would never have come here.

Let's keep perspective. Crime that affects us personally, here on the DR1, of course we tell, we talk and we discuss. But dealers somewhere in some bario, let's leave them be and leave that to the newspapers to report.

This is not part of a secret society to keep tourists out - my god in no way - I love the country! But should people not be made awear of what goes on?

The 'secret society' is a figment of my imagination :cheeky:
Yes, absolutely, but in context. 'Suzie Q' flying out to spend two weeks hard-earned vacation in Cabarete surely must be left to enjoy the vacation and not be worried about bario crime in POP!

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chris, you are right, it should be "in case you get arrested" not "when"...
sorry about that.
i am realistic about life in DR - one has to be careful and keep eyes open, little bit more than in your home country when one is... ...at home, speaks the language and knows people. that is all. personally i have seen no crime in here yet (knock wood) but it may be because i work all day long... :-(((

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
What do you think will be the reaction of tourists if every Dominican related crime is repeated here? If I saw all this on this board when I started looking into the DR, I would never have come here.
Let's keep perspective. Crime that affects us personally, here on the DR1, of course we tell, we talk and we discuss. But dealers somewhere in some bario, let's leave them be and leave that to the newspapers to report.

Chris, I totally agree with you on this.

If I had never lived in the DR, and had come to DR1 for information, it would not look like a favourable place to relocate, and I may have missed out spending some fascinating, challenging, and memorable years in the DR. I know that the crime was not as bad back then, but it still was certainly there when I lived there.

You had to pay attention to your surroundings at all times. That is just plain common sense! I chose to live a clean way of life, and the crime did not come my way. The one time I was robbed, it was my fault, wrong people in my life at the time (vacationers, not Dominicans).

The situation in the DR has most definitely changed over the years, but where hasn't it?

If a person truly wants to move to the DR, I would think that reading DR1 should be a stepping stone to ones decision making, not the be all and end all. A person should research all aspects of the country, by reading various newspapers, they can get the gritty details. DR1 on the other hand should be the venue for personal experiences and suggested guidelines to follow.

With the exception of some truly fascinating reporting done by some members on certain crimes that have occured, the surmising and speculating of some of these crimes should be not what DR1 is all about. This type of posting falls well below the informative aspect of DR1.

Marlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
How many people were killed in POP in the month of Jan 07? I am told that its around 1.5 a day!

Not sure about those figures Dan. A week after you visited us Puerto Plata did indeed have 3 killings in the space of 2 days, but the fact that everyone was talking about it & it was all over the papers shows that those were an unusual 2 days so you can't really average it out for a month...........;)

I hear about most of these killings in PP and my guess would be less than half the figures you quote. It is only a guess but then so are some of the statistics in this country! Even two reports on the same day in 2 different papers for country wide figures for the month of January are at variance with each other:
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=114263&guid=291FFB46DBB141ACA1C88A9C029D3A59&Seccion=63

Diario Libre Online

It was lovely to meet you & Jenni, too and thanks for the vote of confidence. But don't pass that phone number around ;) You should just hear some of the requests..............lol

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Intensive Care

.... the other is one psycho freak hiring people to murder his father, presumably for the inheritance.

Interestingly, the son's participation in the crime has not been mentioned again and it's more than doubtful that he had a part in it.
Maybe he was just done in by the man who was apprehended first.
Now they caught six more...

m'frog

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
With the exception of some truly fascinating reporting done by some members on certain crimes that have occured, the surmising and speculating of some of these crimes should be not what DR1 is all about. This type of posting falls well below the informative aspect of DR1.

Marlie

Thanks so much Marlie! You've restored my faith in humankind :laugh:

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Murder

After reading these post,s i would be afraid to go to the dr ,but i have been 5 times and touch wood never had any trouble. (sorry Vince, deleted .. you'll start a war with this one ..)

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dr1 crime news do not bother me, you should see the headlines on my polish portal... never a good news in sight.
it is a fact that gruesome murders make better headlines than firefighters saving another kitty that climbed a tree.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
After reading these post,s i would be afraid to go to the dr ,but i have been 5 times and touch wood never had any trouble. (sorry Vince, deleted .. you'll start a war with this one ..)

:bunny: chris pity deleted but true not just in the uk :ermm: in case you missed it pm me