Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
For simple but definitely not gourmet
take about 4-6 fresh thick cut pork chops. marinate for about 2 days
soy sauce light
garlic
onion
lemon pepper
pop in the oven covered with stove top stuffing for about 30min. covered pan to hold the moisture.
comes out nice and juicy but cooked all the way through for dominican taste. can be cut with a fork,
National and La Sirena both have the stuffing mix.

i'm lazy

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For simple but definitely not gourmet
take about 4-6 fresh thick cut pork chops. marinate for about 2 days
soy sauce light
garlic
onion
lemon pepper
pop in the oven covered with stove top stuffing for about 30min. covered pan to hold the moisture.
comes out nice and juicy but cooked all the way through for dominican taste. can be cut with a fork,
National and La Sirena both have the stuffing mix.

i'm lazy

sounds delicious. thanks for the heads up. i have to try this..

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
That cooking oil!

I must admit, after twenty-five years of visiting, to never having stayed in the DR more than a month at a time and probably never have eaten two meals in a row at Domincano restaurants.

Nevertheless I have learned to be very leery of the oil that gets in to so much of their food. It gives of an aroma and imparts a taste that seems, after a while, to seep out of the sweat glands. It also tends to give me a few hours of ugly-gut. So we avoid fried foods and anything that might use oil in the preparation (unless it's in an ex-pat place).

wbr

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Whats the problem with oil?
We use a lot, even olive oil on aguacate. 
Good blood pressure, perfect colesterol etc.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As I said I'm lazy so I use the powdered garlic, onion, and lemon pepper. use fresh is you prefer. Temp about 350 preheated

i just got a super garlic press this week, so no more powdered garlic for me. i never use onion powder, not with fresh onion in every colmado. the recipe sounds great. thanks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I must admit, after twenty-five years of visiting, to never having stayed in the DR more than a month at a time and probably never have eaten two meals in a row at Domincano restaurants.

Nevertheless I have learned to be very leery of the oil that gets in to so much of their food. It gives of an aroma and imparts a taste that seems, after a while, to seep out of the sweat glands. It also tends to give me a few hours of ugly-gut. So we avoid fried foods and anything that might use oil in the preparation (unless it's in an ex-pat place).

wbr

true words. i have no idea why, but oil in the DR is atrocious. i even try to buy the better brands like Wesson, and i swear they send the reject stuff here. i use very little oil, but even then it imparts an evil taste to food. not to mention the smell in the kitchen. thank god for non stick cookware, even though it makes lousy flavors.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the oil does not bother me either apart from the quantity used. in my own cooking i'm not too crazy about it because of calories it adds to food so often i cook meat on a pan with few spoons of wine, cover and then finish on very low fire. other times i will use olive oil in misto spray can. for pancakes and such i will use a small dab of butter on a non stick pan.

a guy who used to sell breakfast close to our pharmacy (murdered last year, may he rest in peace) fried everything in a giant ass pot of oil as black as his dog (viralata aptly named diablo). or his pants. in which he wiped his hands and his knife. and his snot. the smell of that oil preceded him everywhere he went. you'd know he was coming before you saw him arrive. that oil might have been with him since he started his business (and was likely inherited by whoever continues with it). he just filled up whatever boiled out.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
That's old oil dv8. I mean there is olive-oil (italian) that has a fragrance of flowers. Everybody his thoughts but mine is that the excess of carbs kills people not oil

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
That's old oil dv8. I mean there is olive-oil (italian) that has a fragrance of flowers. Everybody his thoughts but mine is that the excess of carbs kills people not oil

if you like Olive Oil I recommend the Filippo Berio Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil. It says to use for frying and baking but I use it for everything and mainly salads. Not sure if your local supermarket will have it but you can always order it.

https://www.amazon.com/Filippo-Berio-Extra-Light-Olive/dp/B004ZK6IN4

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
i just got a super garlic press this week, so no more powdered garlic for me. i never use onion powder, not with fresh onion in every colmado. the recipe sounds great. thanks.

Say it ain't so! The purist used garlic powder?? How can you expect to receive the health benefits of raw garlic? Me, I prefer a mortar and pestle with a dash of finely ground sea salt from the Bahamas to assist the process. I then store it in an airtight container to use as I need

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Say it ain't so! The purist used garlic powder?? How can you expect to receive the health benefits of raw garlic? Me, I prefer a mortar and pestle with a dash of finely ground sea salt from the Bahamas to assist the process. I then store it in an airtight container to use as I need

hey, i get lazy sometimes. if i am just making dinner for myself, then sometimes garlic powder will do. when i try to get fancy, i have to use the real thing..

i see Dominican here just putting a whole bunch of cloves of garlic in the blender with oil and chopping them into small pieces. they then just scoop up from a bottle as needed.