A Dominican posted this perspective on FB

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Mr Kaufman, you're missing the entire point here and behaving exactly like what he is writing about. Who cares if maybe he hasn't or has left the country, who cares how he writes. His message is loud and clear (for Christ's sake)
But who wrote it is the question? The message is fine but the writing and who wrote it is bogus.

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
interesting post, lots of great points by the writer. Who may or may not have written it is irrelevant. The point was made and I agree with it for the most part.

You can’t move to a small Caribbean country/ half island and expect it to be the south of France or Spain…

Complaining about a Country that you had great vacation in and then chose to pack your bags and move to without really knowing how s**t operates then complaining about this or that,,, it gets annoying after a while.

Anyway, those are #my2cents…

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

Delanie Pacino

Top contributor
· doserSpton6tcum31a7m49lga60fa8cg5a7c542ll1a30ui1h519lhtu72h1 ·

I'm a 20 yo local, never had the chance to be out of the country, I come from two poor Dominican families, and reading some of the threads out here puts you into perspective about how people see things when they are in a different position, let me give you the local perspective: It feels like you're looking at us from above, observing our behaviors like in an Animal Planet documentary, ''Dominicans don't smile as much as they used to'', ''Things are so expensive now, I'd rather go to Thailand'' well, sorry for not fulfilling your vacation expectations, but we also dislike the noise, the augmenting lack of education, the corruption, the motorists, we feel unsafe, our justice system is useless so we ain't got no one to go to, and thanks to all of this and GENTRIFICATION, which you all play a part of, everyday things are more expensive to us, we can't afford shit, but the difference is we don't get to hop on a plane when the ''DR fatigue'' gets us, we gotta suck it in, and our government doesn't do shit either but we can't choose a better one, because this is a ''democracy'' despite people selling their vote for a pica pollo and 500 pesos.
But hey, I don't judge you, if I had the chance to earn a gringo salary and come to live on a tropical island where I'd live a good life, I would do the same as you, salvation is individual, and that doesn't mean y'all ain't got the right to dislike certain things either. I just think some of you are a bit delusional and insensitive with some of your comments, that's all...
Hope it helps to see other cosmovisions.
The writer has made a few valid points but tell me what type of people would drive their car on the side of the road just to get a few feet in front of you run a red light in total disregards for others it has to be lack of Education I would hate to think that these people are smart and also there are more Dominicans living in the United States commenting on American policy and scamming welfare system food stamps Section 8 so please it's a two-way street here.

I'm a little taken back when you say your government does nothing for you to me that means you're looking for handouts .As my dad used to say get off your ass and go work for it..also the majority of foreigners that are living here broke their ass to have this way of life.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I took it as expats complain a lot about the government, but Dominicans get nothing from the government either. Meaning Dominicans suffer as much or more than expats. As far as "scamming the welfare system" it is not just Dominicans so that is a moot point. Of course, there are negative and positives about living in the DR. But as an expat I would rather point out/think about the positives than be consumed with the negatives. For those of us who have lived here for a few decades, we have seen a lot of changes. Some really good and some not so good. But for the most part we are still here. Because we remember the positives that brought us here. It is natural for people to complain about things, but sometimes it consumes them.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Millions of Dominicans benefit from the taxes I pay (welfare, education, healthcare, foreign assistance, ect) so if I ocassionally say something a few Dominicans take a offense to...
tough sh*t.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I took it as expats complain a lot about the government, but Dominicans get nothing from the government either. Meaning Dominicans suffer as much or more than expats. As far as "scamming the welfare system" it is not just Dominicans so that is a moot point. Of course, there are negative and positives about living in the DR. But as an expat I would rather point out/think about the positives than be consumed with the negatives. For those of us who have lived here for a few decades, we have seen a lot of changes. Some really good and some not so good. But for the most part we are still here. Because we remember the positives that brought us here. It is natural for people to complain about things, but sometimes it consumes them.
Dominicans are the absolute best at scamming the welfare system in my home country. That is certainly not a moot point just because others also do it.

Here, they don't have such a system to scam so other avenues are needed.

Reactions: monfongo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Dominicans are the absolute best at scamming the welfare system in my home country. That is certainly not a moot point just because others also do it.

I read your comment and immediately remembered the Dominican woman in NY who lives in an apartment building with all of her relatives occupying all of the apartments. They used the combined power of all of their govt. handouts to buy the building.

Reactions: windeguy

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
If all the complainers ... be they tourists or people that moved here just up and left... what about all the money they spend here? the people I know that moved here spend thousands of dollars a month as I do... just remember there are many islands in the carribean...........

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

Do you have any statistics to prove that? Or is this just your opinion? Or maybe that is all you focus your attention on.

Reactions: johne

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The thing that makes me think the post is written by a non-Dominican just posing is that it says ".. we also dislike the noise...".

Bullshyte - Every Dominican loves noise at maximum volume until the fillings in your mouth rattle loose.

No Dominican ever said such a blasphemous thing as 'we dislike noise'. Even the frail grandmothers sit in front of mega speakers listening to the tink-a-tink of bachada at 140 decibels while up-ending a Presidente at the corner colmado and tearing off bites of greasy chicken.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The thing that makes me think the post is written by a non-Dominican just posing is that it says ".. we also dislike the noise...".

Bullshyte - Every Dominican loves noise at maximum volume until the fillings in your mouth rattle loose.

No Dominican ever said such a blasphemous thing as 'we dislike noise'. Even the frail grandmothers sit in front of mega speakers listening to the tink-a-tink of bachada at 140 decibels while up-ending a Presidente at the corner colmado and tearing off bites of greasy chicken.

Talk about stereotyping! You should come meet our campo neighbors. They do not play when it comes to noise after 10. They even went after the evangelical church singers down the road for singing at night too loudly.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Talk about stereotyping! You should come meet our campo neighbors. They do not play when it comes to noise after 10. They even went after the evangelical church singers down the road for singing at night too loudly.
Same in my Residencial, but it's at 9 pm. They've had maybe 4 afternoon birthday parties for the little ones in the 6 years I've been here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If all the complainers ... be they tourists or people that moved here just up and left... what about all the money they spend here? the people I know that moved here spend thousands of dollars a month as I do... just remember there are many islands in the carribean...........
Well, real estate agents would be pissed off, some touristic towns like Cabarete and Sosua would be impacted, but that overall money is a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue from 10 million short term AI tourists added to the revenue from the cruise ships. You may have noticed that is where the focus is from the DR government.

Few of the islands are as cheap as the DR still is, so does their number really matter if they are not competitive in price.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
I have definitely heard Dominicans that speak clear English with an American accent that never left the DR.

People that don't believe the person never left the DR seems to miss the entire point of what they said.
Dominican here.
Never left DR (unless for business and family vacations)
Yet most of the expats are surprised by my accent (Mid Atlantic, sometimes British) because I studied at a humble English school during weekends in the 90s.

A huge amount of expats are always surprised that Dominicans can't speak or not speaking at all at the level of a US native, yet the current new generations have much access and resources (private and public) to study English at a level that barely is necessary to take a plane to gringoland.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
It's amazing that another stereotype (noise and "barrio" behaviors) are pointed to everyone of us Dominicans here. Which in reality, we hate that kind of neighbors. For real.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
It's amazing that another stereotype (noise and "barrio" behaviors) are pointed to everyone of us Dominicans here. Which in reality, we hate that kind of neighbors. For real.
True, but the difference is the gringo will be the first one to complain to the neighbors or drag someone into court over noise etc, while the Dominicans stay quiet and tight-lipped on the issue over fear of retribution.

Reactions: CristoRey

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Same at my wife's sister's house in a barrio in POP AND where my FIL lives. Both places full of colmados. Where my FIL lives it's not even exactly the best barrio, but there's no noise starting early evening...

Correction: where my wife's sister lives, there is a neighbor (in his 60s) that has a bocina that everyone hates. He blasts that a couple of hours on Sundays period...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There are a few members of this forum board (all expats_) that post just about everyday and 99% of the time it is negative and most times without back-up information or a link to support their BS. I truly feel sorry for their sorry axe that they decided to live in the negative cacoon of life. They so believe what they are writing that they will write all about their viewpoints everyday. Over and over again. Never positive. Never happy.Never. Never in-put of any kind that would bring a smile to the readers.
Want proof of what I say?? It's written with-in the four corners of their posts. You can't missed it.