A good Deed!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll take Santiago

We are centrally located and easy to get to. Let me know what you need for me to do.

HB

Yini

Apr 16, 2004
Deaf Ed. Teacher to POP Summer '04

Hello, I am going to POP this summer and I am a teacher of the Deaf as well as an ESL teacher. I would love to add into the work that is done on this thread. More info please? Yini

MaineGirl said:
Cris,

I'll be in Puerto PLata in April, picking up Damalbi and going to SD to have her assessed. She is 8, deaf, non-speaker, no sign. PM me--I would love to bring Jacelin along with me. It's a first come, first served type deal--we'd need to get in line at the School for the Deaf in Santo Domingo--but the cost is very cheap, subsidized by Rotary International. This is the assessment/treatment portion. The good news is that I have been in contact with the doctors who are coming to visit the school--turns out they are from MAINE, not only that but I am connected to them as they are my best friend's future in-laws....so I am hoping that we have smooth sailing when we get to SD.

Speech therapy, cued speech, signing--these are all resources that I have yet to encounter in the rural areas. I am bring down speech therapy materials for the school in Luperon. Go to www.superduperpublications.com and check out their bilingual materials--minus the DVD's, there's about $250 worth of useful materials, and I have just enough in the fund to purchase these materials and get bus tickets for Damalbi and her mom, as well as pay the (very cheap) fee for her assessment and hearing aids.

There is a deaf school in POP; I don't know a lot about it but it is worth PMing Rosanie, she has some contacts.

PM me, let's work together! :) :)

Amity aka The Maine Girl

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si, si, si, si.

Chris said:
Yes! Yes! Yes! Let's work together! I'll pm Maine Girl and Rosanie!

Fireguy, be assured that whatever we set up where I am involved, will be worthwhile to contribute to - totally transparent with all results auditible and publically posted. Would you volunteer to help us do this?

I have canvassed around my friends and contacts for $5.00 and $10.00 contributions and received quick promises of total $60.00 to contribute to "our" fund just this morning. These are real promises and Maine Girl, you can add this amount to 'our' fund.

Please don't stop your input because there are a few people doing something already. We need all the help and all the input we can get! How about sending a quick e-mail to all your own contacts, friends, family and loved ones for more $5.00 and $10.00 contributions? I'll keep the board updated and also post the names of contributors - inflow and outflow from the fund.

Christa
You can count on me 20,000%. Just let me know when, where and to whom. It would not only be my pleasure to contribute, but my honor, sorry guys but Jacelin's story touched my soul.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It is high time that I post an update to this story... I have to go to the school to deliver a whole bunch of stuff brought by generous people over the past few months. Once I?ve done this delivery, I?ll update everyone.

Yini, plan on a visit to the school while you are here. I do not know where you teach currently but this little school and teachers has all my admiration as they do a whole lot with very little.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Chris said:
It is high time that I post an update to this story... I have to go to the school to deliver a whole bunch of stuff brought by generous people over the past few months. Once I?ve done this delivery, I?ll update everyone.

Yini, plan on a visit to the school while you are here. I do not know where you teach currently but this little school and teachers has all my admiration as they do a whole lot with very little.

Yini, please let me know the dates you are going to be in POP. I am currently planning my travel there and would like to coordinate a meeting with you and Damalbi. As an update, Damalbi is not currently in school. I think it is possible to get her parents to allow her to live in POP and attend that school, it is just a matter of making the arrangements with them, which is something I feel should be done personally.

Yini, I am so excited you have found this thread and want to help. Damalbi NEEDS to connect with sign language! My husband who is deaf was a freshman in college before he learned to communicate in sign language fluently and it changed his world. No longer was he an outsider in a silent world but an insider with flying hands, thoughts, feelings and emotions.

Miguel, thanks for your support as well.

Chris, have you talked with La Profe about the website?

Mainegirl

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
MaineGirl said:
Chris, have you talked with La Profe about the website?

I,ve dropped this ball. We left it that La Profe would contact me (or vice versa) after all the Christmas celebrations were behind us - I'll pick this up in the next few days...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Glad to see that this is on track again

these two little girls will be so happy!

HB

bomoma

Apr 25, 2002
Hi Hillbilly,

Do you know the organization International Child Care? They are in the Reparto Perello, C/2 #34 here in Santiago. It's a community based organization that works with disabled children in their own homes. They are very well organized and their work helps many families in Santiago. They also have several testing methods, docters service etc. I know they have deaf children in their programm. They also have develloped the organization called Manidi to help the kids when they have grown into adolescents.
I would give them a call to see what they can do for the girl, if she could get into their programm, I think it's a good place to get started and right around the corner.
Their phonenumber is 580-1855, fax 583-0889.

You can send me a private message if you want the national director's email.

Good luck!
Monica

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
great story!

socuban said:
One day a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people can be. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family. On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?" "It was great, Dad." "Did you see how poor people can be?" the father asked. "Oh Yeah" said the son. "So what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father. The son answered, "I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon. We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our
property to protect us, they have friends to protect them." With this the boy's father was speechless. Then his son added, "Thanks dad for showing me how poor we are." Too many times we forget what we have and concentrate on what we don't have. What is one person's worthless object is another's prize possession. It is all based on one's perspective. Makes you wonder what would happen if we all gave thanks for all the bounty we have, instead of worrying about wanting more. Take joy in all you have, especially your friends.
:classic: a great story!...those that have lots of material things sometimes are missing other things and viceversa...I know many poor people here in the DR that are happy and have so much dignity it's amazing!...personally, I gave up a lot of the 'successful' material life in the First World to live the more basic life here in the Third World and have never been happier....Thank God!
:lick: