A good investment in the DR?

Feb 15, 2005
So many projects and areas that were once "projected" as destinations for tourists are now seen as long shots for the immediate. It appears, that by all reports, that the very wealthy are the ones holding up the numbers in regards to tourism. As it appears that the middle income tourist has really declined in numbers throughout the Caribbean.
How does this apply to the post? We'll most investment returns rely solely on outside-the-country money and right now the demand for property investments has declined. In my opinion, investing in un-developed property, no matter where it is, will lock up money long term and if you need cash flow immediately the likelihood that you can liquidate will be very difficult.

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
Who can say anything on the two grandissimo projects - Amber Dune and Miracle Mile. The projects were annouced some time ago (1 and 2 years ago accordingly). They were inviting investors to buy something from the plans and drawings ... did somebody invest?

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Buy land. Buy it at a good price. 6-8 bucks per m2 oceanfront. And jut wait. Land does not give any headache. Always be careful. Like everywhere in the world.

Its not only the DR where you get F.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Tony,

Sure. Where in DR can you get decent, accessible oceanfront land for less than a dollar a square foot?

trangalanga

Jun 10, 2011
www.villa-elena-bavaro.com
What do you guys have to say about Bavaro?

I own some land and apartments here, I am currently renting them. Still a long way to go before I get the Turismo permit, though. Just had my Juicio de Tierras for the deslinde in Hig?ey, no opposition.

Any comments will be very much appreciated.

diosabella

May 24, 2012
hi there , where are these 20K lots located? in attractive location n apartments from $50K, and 80K villas near the beach?
Sabrina. im interested in purchasing carefully.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Diosabella: This is a year + ago....there are NO such places, except in one posters pipe dreams. A new place just opened in Cabarete and it is going for $300,000 each, small apartments in Santo Domingo, on the fringes of some neighborhoods are going for $160,000 and up...

HB

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Tony I sent you a PM

Buy land. Buy it at a good price. 6-8 bucks per m2 oceanfront. And jut wait. Land does not give any headache. Always be careful. Like everywhere in the world.

Its not only the DR where you get F.

May 29, 2006
What do Dominicans do when they want to buy property? They sure aren't paying those kind of prices, at least for the vast majority. It seems it would be cheaper sometimes to buy a shack/casita, tear it down and then build a real home.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I wish there were $80k apartments in Port au Prince......more like $300k is you can find one.

There are no "apartments" as we know them in Haiti. It's either the whole property or none. They don't provide titles for units or multi-family homes to sale or own partially in Haiti. You can buy a small God knows what in the city and build as many huts atop of it you may possibly get away with, but sell them can you NOT!

If you think buying property in the DR is a hassle and dangerous in some parts, you don't have any idea of what's that like in Haiti. People are murdered about every other day there for land ownership issues!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
What do Dominicans do when they want to buy property? They sure aren't paying those kind of prices, at least for the vast majority.

That, my friend, will you come to learn about when you are aplatanado enough to be humbled...

I nor anybody I know has ever paid asking price for property in the DR.

Even when we purchased rights back in the early days for a few lots in Casa de Campo, this was 100% the fact...

But I'll give you a "tip" into why and how (but it's far from the whole mangu): We buy via family and known people alone! There's MUST be at least 2 people somewhere in the long line of known people on both sides that we really know and have some trust upon, before anything is signed or money changed hands. It's the FIRST LINE of DEFENSE and NEGOTIATION!

Getting off a plane and just "living" in the DR won't make that happen! If you're not married into the Dominican family it will be very hard to obtain this! And then, there are families and family~!

vandee

Nov 26, 2003
I like buying property in the DR. I've had 5 places so far and have made money on each of them although that was never the reason for the purchase. And the fellow above is right about prices. I offer what I want to pay. If it's not accepted, I just move on. Had 2 villas in Casa which worked out great. Wouldn't buy there now since rentals are way down. Fanjul ruined that.
Club Hemingway was good except golf in the area wasn't very good. Not much in rentals either. Sold both condos before the crash. Now we have a small place on a golf course near la romana.
I think the best way to buy in the DR is to have a local RE agent as a partner.