A Kinder, Gentler Forum ... for Old Hands

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My "IMAGINATION" Is The ONLY Thing I Have Going For Me Now!

Since I have not done any "SnoreCulling"!!!In The Dark And Tight Dominican Republic since 12 March,would you please "DELETE" any posts on DR1 That "STIMULATE" my biological urges???!!!
Cric(Presently Celebit) Coloooooooooooooooon!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
..It's up to the moderator of this forum to edit out portions or all of my dribble that I post here if she feels so inclined.

We're trying to be kinder and gentler Rick. :rambo: My first reaction was to tell you to wipe up your own dribble already! LOL

(Now here is an example of responding to part of a post and quoting only the piece that one is responding to. Use the quote button as normal and delete whatever you don't want in there, between the two quote signs. Just be sure to not delete the first quote sign in square brackets, and the last quote sign in square brackets like this) ..
keep the things in square brackets around the piece that you quote

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Can we also ask people posting photos to please reduce them to a viewable size first? If I open a thread that is distorted by a huge photo I usually don't bother reading it.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Chiri is right about the pictures. When the posts are much wider then my 17" screen than I just move on. Of course a nice moderator might take the initiative and reduce it for the people that don't know how to do it.;) ;) ;)

As people have a tendency at times to 'dribble' in my forums I think it is only fair to 'dribble' from time to time when away from home.;)

CC are you planning on opening a monastery now that you are living the celibate life???????????????;)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... On a more serious note I wish to say that if you see bad grammar or punctuation by I please point it out as I'm always open to learning where I may make a mistake. I'm by no means perfect but do take a little pride in trying to use proper English.

?Is the bold portion of above proper grammar Rick?
Sounds wrong, but I am not sure.

Don SantiagoDR

Sep 19, 2005
this thread is about KINDER, GENTLER posters...!!!

why are all you MEAN AND ROUGH people posting here for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is ONLY for us kind gentle forum members...who have poor spelling habits

got that?

bob

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
On a more serious note(comma), I wish... (comma), please point it out(comma),

...by no means perfect(comma), but...

By I.

...above proper grammar(comma),...?

By I, too.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
We are having fun with this one are we not????????????:bunny: :bunny:

(by I) is correct.;)

... by hook or by crook, is the phrase I know!

Perhaps we can make that the "Dominican Motto"! ;)

Print it on all the dinero.

Don SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If a moderator is going to "Close" a thread,
they should do so without giving their personal viewpoint on the matter,
and then close the thread in the same post so no one can respond back.

Posters should try to avoid antagonizing remarks such as:

"Perhaps you thrive on ........".
"it goes a long ways to showing your agendas".

etc.

This should apply to A Kinder, Gentler Forum ... for Old Hands / Newbies.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006

[/B].

If I was the OP or was posting on a thread that got closed then I'd be curious to know the reasons why. Many posters have questions in response to threads being closed. I know that Robert's standard response is generally along the lines of "Get over it and move on" but I think keeping people informed of the reasons would help to give them an idea of what's considered to be offensive or 'off limits'.

Sep 19, 2005
I know that Robert's standard response is generally along the lines of "Get over it and move on" quote]

ha ha ha...you know those lines...and you have only been here a year..... ha ha ha.....

"robert, someone chopped off my left hand!!!!!!!

, roberts reply =Get over it and move on

..... ha ha ha

funny stuff

bob

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Some threads on DR1 are in a special class and remind me of a novela here in the DR. That is, the people all gather to see the next episode of the adventures of Pedro and his 38 novias. After having watched so many episodes and possibly having acted therein yourself it comes as a complete surprise and possible outrage when the plug is pulled.

We as moderators are given a degree of latitude in the overseeing of the threads. We as moderators are also human and not all alike. It is because of this lack of similarity that you will experience differences in the moderation in the different forums. Robert has established rules that he expects all posters to abide by and the reasons for these rules should be obvious and therefore require no explanation. But even with these rules a degree of latitude is allowed. A prime example of this would be the recent thread in the ?Debates? forum on ?religion? here in the DR. After 8 pages of interaction of board members and 77 posts I posted this last post and closed the thread.

Regardless of how a moderator should handle their forums I think that post #22 by Chris should be brought to the forefront once again. For those of you that may have missed that post then allow me to remind you of what she said;

?If you have information to add to a closed post, have you tried to pm a mod with your suggestion?

- If you want to talk about something that you are not sure falls within the scope of the board, have you tried to pm a mod with your idea? ?

This is good advice but I as a moderator can say that I can count on one hand the number of times I?ve been contacted by PM with suggestions or questions concerning closed or supposed threads. In the same token I have forgotten the number of PM?s I?ve received after closing a thread or deleting a post to be called almost every name in the book. It is the thought of those idiotic PM?s that I mention something else Chris said in #22, ?- Don't fight with a mod. ?, as the reality of the situation is that you are wasting your time.

Robert and his summations of the workings on this board seem to be apparent to everyone both new and old and should well explain how it does and will operate. Out of the many things that have been communicated by Robert I think the following quote by him sums it all up very well, ?You call it censorship, we call it moderating. You call it freedom of speech, we just laugh and suggest you go find another website?

Rick

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

The mods work according to a procedure. With closing a thread, they usually give a reason, or a comment. Usually no-one else can post afterwards. A mod may re-open a thread for a poster if the reasons are valid.

Like Rick, I receive few positive pm's checking out new thread ideas, or figuring out if something specific will fly. Like Rick (and the other mods too), we receive more than our fair share of irritated posters calling us every name in the book.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Hehehehe. Reminds me of a time I explained my reason for closing a thread, at that point all acts of chivalry and appropriate behavior had long gone out the window, but I failed to hit the close button. By the time I realized my mistake 3 more disparaging posts had been made to the supposed ?closed thread?.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If I was the OP or was posting on a thread that got closed then I'd be curious to know the reasons why. Many posters have questions in response to threads being closed. I know that Robert's standard response is generally along the lines of "Get over it and move on" but I think keeping people informed of the reasons would help to give them an idea of what's considered to be offensive or 'off limits'.

If you are following a thread it's not that hard to figure out. Off topic, too much bickering between members, the topic has gone so far off that the original theme is completely lost. The big one seems to be that someone will come out and post that in the US we blah blah blah and then 10 more people join in and it becomes all US related. It's just an example but a big one.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Anna is ?right-on? in her explanation and the tendency to turn this board into a USA1 versus a DR1 site is a very big problem.

Another problem is the choice of wording in the posts. If an OP has opened a thread or a poster has replied to a thread then your response in that thread should be thought out a little before posting. There is such a wide variance between saying ?you are an idiot? and the response, ?I think your idea is a bit idiotic? and the two examples are liable to be handled differently by a moderator. On the one hand we have all-out name calling and on the other we have a person opinionating about a portion of the beliefs of another person. So much can be conveyed and insinuated by the choice of words used in a post.

At this point I think it?s important to point out the reasoning for this board and its supposed role in all that we are presently discussing. This is my opinion and it may be wrong or right and bow to the owners if I am wrong in my assessment. It seems that DR1 was formed as a means for people, both from within and out of the country, to acquire information about things within this country. In order to supply correct and up to date information requires participation of members with actual experience in the subject being questioned or experts in the subject matter. I as a member, not a moderator, post information that I have experience with from having lived here for 11 years. I am no expert in any field but am more knowledgeable in some areas than others. If I post a price for something then that is the price I paid the last time I made such a purchase and is accurate as it relates to the time and me. If I should comment on a hotel it is because I?ve stayed there and therefore relate my experiences. If I should give an opinion or state what I think I will show it as my opinion or what I think and will not try to convey it as a fact or how things actually are.

The ?Debates? forum is the exception to the rule as to the use of opinions in posting responses and OP?s. Of course the linking of sources to help substantiate your claims helps in presenting your case or question.

Here in the ?Living? forum is where actual experiences of people are to be conveyed and because the explanation of the forum states ?experiences? then the reality of the situation leaves no actual room for opinions.

I am sure everyone knows the old adage about opinions so I don?t need to state it. As we will never get away from opinions due to human nature then it is something that must be lived with. What I find unacceptable is the desire to call someone names or to tell them how stupid they are because they don?t have the knowledge or they don?t hold the same opinion of a poster. All of which brings us right back to the usage of the proper words when posting.

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Sharlene, I meant to reply to your statement, ?help to give them an idea of what's considered to be offensive or 'off limits'?.

The basic rules for DR1 are simplistic and short and I believe are established as a means to keep the board an enjoyable experience for those looking for information about the Dominican Republic.

All threads and posts are to be DR related. I think the reasoning for this is very apparent and the only exceptions to this rule are the ?Clown Bin? and ?Dominicans Abroad? forums.

ALL THREADS

There is to be no name calling or talking disparagingly about a posters family of friends. The reasoning behind this should be apparent.

There is to be no discussing religion or race. This is due to the diverse amount of opinions on these two subjects and the fights that ALWAYS ensue when these subjects come up.

You are to make your posts in relation to the OP and not ?highjack? a thread.

There may be others that I failed to mention and if I did then I?m sure others will point out that which I may have left out.

Rick