A New All-Inclusive W Hotel Is Opening This Year in Punta Cana

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The first-ever all-inclusive W Hotel in the Caribbean is opening this year in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean Journal has learned.

The hotel, part of a broad expansion for parent company Marriott International, is on the list of expected 2024 openings in the region for the brand.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
This is the resort going up near Zoetry and Excellence?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I just can't see how saturating the market like this is viable in the long term. Are some of the Mexican resort towns worse than Punta Cana? I've never been to a Mexican AI.
Pretty much the same...Maybe more to do outside the resort area in Mexico if one was so inclined. Punta Cana though is less expensive than Cancun for the most part.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So much for the W in Cabarete. They should take the signs down for that already.

Once again, the bastard child the north coast is shines through.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
So much for the W in Cabarete. They should take the signs down for that already.

I think that Lifestyles property drained all the super high rollers from Cab. I mean who wouldn't want to stay in a hotel overlooking a street.

Reactions: PCMike

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I agree with Sky the east with the Punta Cana and Bavaro areas. With all the AI is by far the most important industry for the DR. I remember a talk I once heared by Rainieri he said that tourism didn’t really drop during and after the financial crisis. And now we saw that it didn’t drop much here in DR during the pandemic. I used to like visiting some resorts. The Melia ones I liked. I haven’t been over 10 years. I hope though they keep that industry of all inclusives out there. I think it’s better areas like Samana and others try something else like boutique hotels and Airbnb.

Reactions: Aguaita29

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think that Lifestyles property drained all the super high rollers from Cab. I mean who wouldn't want to stay in a hotel overlooking a street.
Lifestyles I expect had zero to do with the W. Totally different demographic. A lack of tourists and horrible flights to POP is a more likely reason for the reluctance to move forward and choose the south, Punta Cana, over the north, Cabarete.

Where the W in Cabarete site is/was may still be or not planned to be anymore, there was a large resort before.
It is a rather large piece of ocean front property that runs from the ocean to the main highway:

Perhaps they should remove the signage.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I just can't see how saturating the market like this is viable in the long term. Are some of the Mexican resort towns worse than Punta Cana? I've never been to a Mexican AI.
Like the ones in Cozumel alot... have always thought they were a better deal tham Punta Cana

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Lifestyles I expect had zero to do with the W. Totally different demographic. A lack of tourists and horrible flights to POP is a more likely reason for the reluctance to move forward and choose the south, Punta Cana, over the north, Cabarete.

Where the W in Cabarete site is/was may still be or not planned to be anymore, there was a large resort before.
It is a rather large piece of ocean front property that runs from the ocean to the main highway:

Perhaps they should remove the signage.
yes, still waiting for the Ritz Carolton and the development of the property by the river. Yes I was joking about the Lifestyles property. It is 1/2 a notch above a cabana.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
yes, still waiting for the Ritz Carolton and the development of the property by the river. Yes I was joking about the Lifestyles property. It is 1/2 a notch above a cabana.
They tried to build the Ritz Carlton at La Boca. As others have tried to build other developments at La Boca from "The Miracle Mile" Russian project that even had a sales office, to an ECO Friendly Work Center in Paradise and lastly the Ritz Carlton Reserve which was shot down by the Ministry of the Environment after work was started.

I doubt they could even rebuild the fish restaurant shacks where people used to party there on the weekends at La Boca, so Wilson in the other side of the river has that all to himself.

Three strikes and La Boca is out... The W in Cabarete might as well take down the signs.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
The first-ever all-inclusive W Hotel in the Caribbean is opening this year in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean Journal has learned.

The hotel, part of a broad expansion for parent company Marriott International, is on the list of expected 2024 openings in the region for the brand.

Are you going?
Let us know how it was!

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
They tried to build the Ritz Carlton at La Boca. As others have tried to build other developments at La Boca from "The Miracle Mile" Russian project that even had a sales office, to an ECO Friendly Work Center in Paradise and lastly the Ritz Carlton Reserve which was shot down by the Ministry of the Environment after work was started.

I doubt they could even rebuild the fish restaurant shacks where people used to party there on the weekends at La Boca, so Wilson in the other side of the river has that all to himself.

Three strikes and La Boca is out... The W in Cabarete might as well take down the signs.

Simple,
The demographics of the N.Coast are low middle class to low class.
Guys looking for girls.
Low income looking for bargains.

The N.Coast beaches will never equal the beaches of P.C. - Uvero Alto.
Plenty of AI's to choose from.
The 5* are good enough.

Those looking for real luxury or seclusion also have many choices world wide, as there are beautiful beaches.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The 5* are good enough.
Having spent more many years on both the North Coast and Punta Cana I can safely say that there is no comparison. The North Coast has WAY BETTER beaches than Punta Cana. The link below is Playa Caleton. Nothing in Punta Cana can compare with this beach. And I am only pointing out one.....

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Having spent more many years on both the North Coast and Punta Cana I can safely say that there is no comparison. The North Coast has WAY BETTER beaches than Punta Cana. The link below is Playa Caleton. Nothing in Punta Cana can compare with this beach. And I am only pointing out one.....

I've been there.
As well as to many beaches from Las Terrenas to past Puerto Plata.
Many beaches that the average N.Coast tourist does not go to.
Many stay put or may have limited excursions.

As you are in the travel industry you know,
That mass tourism AI, likes expansive white sand beaches and turquoise water.
Places like PC, Uvero Alto, Cancun, Riviera Maya.

The Pacific coast in Mexico and the N.Coast in DR do not have the same appeal.
The little secluded beaches do not cater to the mass AI segment.

You may know Mismaloya beach when it was pristine, or El Eden up the river.
Now there is a monstrous Barcelo hotel on Mismaloya Beach.

I prefer to live on the N.Coast as P.C. gets boring quickly.
AI's stay a week or two.
The condo crowd may also get bored after a while in P.C.
Others have businesses and live of P.C. tourism.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Please don't tell people this. I want them to think Punta Cana is paradise, and now here you go and do that.

Let's keep those AI tourists only on those expansive white sand beaches. For good.

o_O:cool::p:eek::giggle:

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

Not surprising.

Cabarete has a clogged main street no parking.
Walk off the beach and main street into the barrios and the dilapidation is apparent.
Even the fish shacks on La Bocca are gone.

Not much different in Sosua, broken side walks, clogged traffic, dilapidated neighbourhoods interspersed with some nice buildings.

Once you go to Puerto Plata insane traffic, with motorcycles, cars, Dominican drivers.
Even steps from the cruise terminal dilapidated buildings and "side walks".
The bathrooms in the new cruise park without water, great impression!

Maybe for a few hours the "charm" of old wood buildings and the poverty are a novelty, before returning to the cruise ship and home.

Bastard child indeed!
Promise not fulfilled.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Simple,
The demographics of the N.Coast are low middle class to low class.
Guys looking for girls.
Low income looking for bargains.

The 5* are good enough.

Those looking for real luxury or seclusion also have many choices world wide, as there are beautiful beaches.
you forgot the dune buggy set. The aristocrats that speed through muddy potholes in an open dune buggy on dirt side roads and yell "yee hah" as they get covered in mud and dirt. Then they retreat to an afternoon of fine chicken wings and beer and talk about conquering the impossible.