A rundown of DR policies for dimwitts!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hi Graham,
I was led to think this way through what I read on this website. I read on a searched thread that the need for return was far greater than the likelihood for ability of the Dominican people to leave.
How else is someone to figure the thought on this other than it is not the entering foreign countries, but the slightly higher likelihood of the DR keeping people inside. Surely I would not be facing a problem if the case was flipped to the opposite?
My Government would be unable to offer a reason of rejection as I pay high Tax, am a legitimate and hard working person without criminal record, and in no way leaned on the government for support in my entire adult life.

Now please let me understand the contradiction within what you claim and what my understanding is. It does not seem to be the receiving country, but the offering country that lets the system down.
I am extremely interested and hope to understand this reality as I may have to live within it.
I do not appreciate deliberate patronising in a response and would like a genuine reply.

Thanks,
Bill.

Bil,
For a number of years I worked in the same offices as the British Consulate up here in Puerto Plata. Being British, many of the 'boyfriends/girlfriends/wives/husbands' of the Dominican applicants came to me when the Consul was not in the office so that I could explain why a visa had been declined & I did my best to give them honest & reliable information, information that I had received from the British Embassy in Santo Domingo AND the Consul himself up here.

Your suggestion that the Dominican Republic Government interfered with Her Majersty's Government in the process of their decision process re visas needed to be responded to in the clearest & most unequivocal manner & that was the way I did it.

I really can add nothing to what I have already stated, I can ONLY repeat. The Dominican Government does NOT have a say (other than through impediments issued through a Dominican Court) as to who is & who is NOT allowed a visa to the UK. I am confident in saying that that also extends to the Consular & Embassy functions for 90% of other countries.

If you are considering getting your new family to apply for a visa to your own country of birth, please post which country you are hoping to get the visas for & I will tell you which person it would be best for you to speak with so as to confirm (or otherwise if the system has changed dramatically) what your chances of success are.

Please be aware that (again from experience) the amount you have paid to your Government in the past by means of taxes &/or service will have absolutely NO effect on the decision making process. As has been suggested by Windeguy, their rules are secretive & THEIR rules - we mere mortals are not privy to such things. :ermm: ;) ~ Grahame.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yep it sucks, but there's nothing you can do other than get married, apply and wait...and wait...and hope and pray.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
you spoke of wanting to buy a boat. if you are a US licensed captain you may or may not be able to declare someone as a crewmember. i don't know all of the details, but a bunch of years ago i knew someone that did this.
also, you haven't lived until you've stood in line, in the heat, outside the US embassy, for hours, to get two minutes to plead your case, thru bulletproof glass, to some kid from minnesota, who treats you like a piece of dirt, even when you are a blonde/blue obvious gringo, fellow american. after you've been in line with a bunch of people for a long time you get to know who's slime and who's not, and it amazes me when the slimeballs get visas and the good ones get denied.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
also, you haven't lived until you've stood in line, in the heat, outside the US embassy, for hours, to get two minutes to plead your case, thru bulletproof glass, to some kid from minnesota, who treats you like a piece of dirt, even when you are a blonde/blue obvious gringo, fellow american. after you've been in line with a bunch of people for a long time you get to know who's slime and who's not, and it amazes me when the slimeballs get visas and the good ones get denied.

Hahaha...That was a really good one. I remember when I had to go through that:tired:...Hopefully that kid from Minnesota didn't have a fight with his girlfriend last night, because you know that nobody is getting visas the next day, regardless of how prepared you are and even if you show enough reason to go back to The DR. Example this one time I went and was denied for a visa to come to my college reunion, never mind that I had already spent several years in The US (getting my college degree) and didn't stay and had traveled several times since then (and not overstayed not even once), and that my wife was American who could have petitioned for me any time we wished, etc...but that day this guy had apparently had a fight with his girl or something, because he was denying everyone.

Good times...

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
The standard of living in Bermuda is higher than Canada and the USA so I doubt they would let Dominicans enter without a VISA.
Dont think your list is correct.
I know Dominicans who can easily obtain travel Visas to various countries.
But they are well off and have excellent jobs and a good education.
They are not big flight risks.
It is the country that they want to enter, that makes the decision, not the Dominican government.

My Dominican wife had her Dominican passport in a matter of days but it took 9 months for her visa to enter Canada to be issued by the Canadian government. The Dominican government could have cared less if she stayed here or left for Canada.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
To the OP, I'm not sure why you would believe that a country like the US would allow the Dominican Republic to influence their decisions on who can enter the US. It's very simple:

1. Each country decides who can leave their country by issuing a passport.

2. Each country decides who can enter their country by issuing a visa.

These decisions are made by the country with zero influence from other governments.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Yep it sucks, but there's nothing you can do other than get married, apply and wait...and wait...and hope and pray.

why oh why do the yolas leave samana regularly,trying to get to Puerto Rico??????
For the experience?????
bob

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
why oh why do the yolas leave samana regularly,trying to get to Puerto Rico??????
For the experience?????
bob

This is tongue in cheek right? Quite few get through. I know somone who made it. She was caught and deported within three days.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the country you travel TO issues a visa. that is clear. in certain circumstances the country can allow visa-free travel for citizens of another country.
in case of USA this is based on meeting a certain quota of travellers who do not violate their visa. there are always people who overstay their visa but this number has to be low for the USA to allow visa-free travel.
i believe the number of dominicans who get the visa and then stay in USA for good is simply too high...
however, last year US government allowed citizens of some countries that recently joined EU to travel to US sans visa. so there is hope for dominicans.
as far as EU travel goes: for all schengen agreement countries there is only one visa. the rules of obtaining such document are regulated by european parliament. currently dominicans applying for such visa have to prove they have sufficient ties with DR to come back here, in material terms.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
once in my life i try to be positive and hopeful and people tell me off. i will do screen print and show this to my manager who always bugs me about motivation :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just kidding :)
i too think that dominicans have no chance to travel visa free to usa.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
Hey Grahame,
I would like to bring my girlfriend to the USA just to visit, who should I talk to ?
What are my chances and how long, if ever, can I expect to wait?
I was told by a prominent Dominican lawyer in the Capitol to forget it.
My girlfriend is young, has a baby, is unmarried, no real bank account or extensive job history. I'm not making a joke here. She is one of the many "regular" citizens and I'm not a wealthy guy but I would love to take her home for a couple weeks and actually bring her back. She has no desire to "escape" She would really like to just visit.
Thanks

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey Grahame,
I would like to bring my girlfriend to the USA just to visit, who should I talk to ?
What are my chances and how long, if ever, can I expect to wait?
I was told by a prominent Dominican lawyer in the Capitol to forget it.
My girlfriend is young, has a baby, is unmarried, no real bank account or extensive job history. I'm not making a joke here. She is one of the many "regular" citizens and I'm not a wealthy guy but I would love to take her home for a couple weeks and actually bring her back. She has no desire to "escape" She would really like to just visit.
Thanks
I think it best if we take this to PM. I'll write to you there. ~ Grahame.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
no way jose

As hillbilly said in another thread, slim to none, and slim left town. unless you happen to work for the embassy. then there is a good chance. but vistor visa, no way.

did know a guy years ago who worked at the us embassy and he did get the visa to take the girl friend home to kansas to meet dorthy:eek:gre:(you guys got to lay off dorthy):eek:gre:

But that was also prior to 9/11