A very sad story, need your help....

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
A little bit off-topic, but I think it's just great what you (and some of the other members here) did for the boy and the family.
I did volunteer work in a hospital (for the poorest op people) in Antigua (Guatemala) for a while. There was a boy there (8 years old or so) that only sits in his chair the whole day, he has some kind of disease and can't do anything, we were not even allowed to touch him, because this hurts him alot (I never figured out which disease he really had) His family visited him once a month or so... It was just heart breaking.

When I read this story I had to think of this boy again and his very sad situation. I am so happy that at least this boy (and his family) got the attention and help they deserve. Keep up the good work!

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Family and disease

Thank you very much for your message. I know that there are many many people in the world who need help. But I cannot help everybody. I'm just trying to help the people one by one, following my possibilities. I feel very sorry for that little boy you know. Emmanuel is maybe very sick, and will be more and more, but he is also lucky for one thing : he has his family around him. Even if his father is not always there, Emmanuel knows that everybody in the family loves him. They push him all day long and in September he hopes to be able to go back to school like the others. His mother also is completely dedicated to him and will do her best to help him.
This is something so important, the power of love.....

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
A not so short update:

On my last trip to the North Coast, myself and some friends paid a surprise visit to the family. We had brought the wheelchair, but kept it in the car while we visited the family (still thinking that this might be a scam).

Unfortunately, the medical problem was indeed real. The boy cannot walk at all (since he was 5), nor can he go to school. He cannot place his feet flat on the floor. It looks like the Achilles tendon has shortened from lack of use. His face is unusually round and fat, more-so than normal fat. Apparently, all they can do to help him is provide a special diet, medicine will not help him (I need to do some research to see if this is true).

While we were there, my friend noticed what looked like a 'meeting' outside. The house was a tiny typical Dominican house among several sharing the same yard.

They told us the father's brother had died only 1 hour previous. He was sitting with us in the house when my friend asked. We didn't know what to say.

Then, a truck pulled up with a coffin, and when the people in the back yard saw the coffin, everyone began to wail.

We then got the wheelchair from the car and brought it in the house (It barely fit in the door, I have a feeling next time I visit the house, it will be more handicapped accessible).

Estrella1, I am very sorry it took me so long to make this post, I wish I had a valid excuse.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
On a side note, I really would like to thank JJ.

When my gringa friend called to find out how much the wheelchair would cost, they quoted her a price a price of $7700RD plus 16% tax (go figure tax on a wheelchair).

When we got there, JJ, on his own volunteered to negotiate the price. He got them down to $6900RD including the tax. He really is a great guy! Roc?o, you got a good one there!

Nov 5, 2004
I see it's a bit late now, but I can verify that estrella is very real, and a very sweet lady. Which I guess everyone can tell from following this story. It's very touching how the DR1 members get together to help out someone in need. It's too bad we can't help everyone who honestly needs it in the country...

Estrella...I am going to clean out my PM's..can you please send me your e-mail address again? (and the link to our bavaro pictures?) I cannot find it and I would like to talk with you.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Just a short update and some pics.

Emmanuel seems to be happy now that he is able to get around. Unfortunately, he is still not able to attend school. It appears that there are 3 or 4 steps into the school. Estrella1 was arranging for them to build a ramp. I'm not sure if it's done yet.

2gxiixe.jpg

2qnzbm8.jpg

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Very touching story

I just saw this thread. Sad indeed, but very uplifting that fellow members were there to help this boy and family. I must say that I am very proud of you all. If there is anything that I can do to help please let me know.

The photos were wonderful!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I just saw this thread. Sad indeed, but very uplifting that fellow members were there to help this boy and family. I must say that I am very proud of you all. If there is anything that I can do to help please let me know.

If you really want to help, please send Estrella1 a PM or an email. I believe Emmanuel's condition is worsening and now requires some physical therapy.

I will try post an update from her blog later.

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Thank you very much for the messages. Yes, Emmanuel follows a physical therapy every Friday. I am going with them. Until now I am paying for the therapy, but the transportation from their house to Puerto Plata hospital costs a lot (between 420 and 500 pesos = +/- 15 US$). Until now we have money from a French lady who gave us some. We have to pay the guagua for 2 more Fridays. Then, no idea. If some of you could help, this would be fantastic as Emmanuel really needs this therapy.
I saw a real difference between the first time and the second. The first time he was unable to lift his head, and had problems with the arms also. Last Friday it was much better.
If some DR1 members live close to Puerto Plata, I invite them to come and have a look. We are going at 9:30 AM every Friday morning in the building for physical therapy, upstairs. Everybody is welcome. I will be very pleased to know personnally other DR1 members.
For those who have not seen the blog : http://www.estrella-star2.skyblog.com/.
I'll know this Friday if the ramp was built. Probably yes. Thanks again to Rellosk.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Here's the latest entry from Estrella1's blog.

The therapy​
This is really nice, but....yes, there is a "but"....

Each Friday they will go to the therapist, it costs 75 pesos, not much. BUT the transportation costs a lot : 500 pesos is the cheapest way to get to the Puerto Plata hospital from their house. Emmanuel is going with his mother, Miledi, and they need also a man with them as, as you have noticed it, Emmanuel is very heavy. Even if they have the wheelchair, somebody has to lift him from the car or to the car....

So, the transportation is for 3 persons...500 pesos...This is a lot for those poor people who do not have one peso for this treatment.

Thanks to a donation, Emmanuel will be able to have 3 times a therapy. But after????
Please, if you want/can, send some money for this little boy. This therapy is really necessary.
When I sent my very first message to the DR1 board, many persons answered, telling me that it would be a good idea to help this child, that he will be "our DR1 child".....
But the results are very poor....where is the enthousiasm????

Please, he needs your help. I do not ask it for me (I would never ask anything for me!!!), but I do what I can...I pay the therapy, I go when I can to the house, bringing some food (rice, habichuela, sugar, salt, milk,....), I give the family some clothes, and I think the most important is that they know they are not alone....This is very important : moral support....They know they can call somebody if there is a problem and that, I think is very important!

So, please, for you it is not much, but if lots of people give 100 pesos (3 dollars!!!), this boy will be able to continue his treatment and stop or slow down the dark progession of the illness....

Thank you very much. And of course, those who would like to visit the family are always welcome....

You can read more by clicking here. Keep in mind, the format is different than most blogs, as the most recent entry is on the last page.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
A little late

I haven't been on here much lately, and I just read this thread and had a look at the blog...What a heart-wrenching story...so bittersweet. I can see how happy Emmanuel is now that he has his wheelchair. I am so happy that everyone was able to help so quickly!

If all goes well I will be in Sosua a week from today. I would like to bring some items for the family too. Estrella I will send you a PM...

A story like this makes me look around and appreciate all that I have!

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Never too late to help

Hi Nikke,

I did not receive the message you sent me. But it does not matter.
If you want to help when you are in Sosua, no problem. You can bring anything you want. It can go from basic food (but this is to buy here of course : rice, habichuela, sugar, and lots of other things), to clothes (Emmanuel is 10 years old but very fat!). As the family is big, some old clothes will always be welcome, they will suit one of them. Emmanuel received a Gameboy and would like some other games, this also would be welcome and not heavy, or even batteries as they are expensive for them, even other games like Nintendo, or anything you have. Or if this is too difficult for you (I know the problem, when I travel I have always lots of luggage...), you just can give some money. Be sure that every peso you give will go to the boy and the family. Until now I use the money only for transportation. If we receive more, we can try to better the life conditions (for example buy a hamac- he is sitting all the time in the wheelchair, he needs also other things). Unfortunately I will leave the country or this Saturday or next Wednesday for 2 weeks, but you can contact Rellosk and he will know where you can leave what you have.
I am very happy to say that things are moving now and that some people are helping a lot.
As after the second time of the therapy Emmanuel was able to stand up alone (fantastic result!), I am sure that if we all help him, we could have a very good result after some months of treatment.
As always I will be posting the latest news on my blog so everybody can follow the difficult life of this little boy, but also the good moments!
Thanks to everybody for your help.

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
wow, as I read this thread tears came to my eyes, to see how a group of God send people got together and just help this poor family may God bless each one of you, your families and business or jobs, Estrella if I may say you were an angel send by God to this family it was God's plan to have you meet them, so that you can bless their lives latter on.
Acts like this do not go unnotice by God, and he will reward each of you for your big hearts and compasion with less fortune people.

I live in the US, but I can help please let me know.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002

DominicanScotty, Estrella1 told me about you very generous donation. Thanks!

You are one of the few that followed up.

Hopefully, Estrella1 can give us an update on Emmanuel's condition when she returns from her holiday.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Just doing the right thing

DominicanScotty, Estrella1 told me about you very generous donation. Thanks!

You are one of the few that followed up.

Hopefully, Estrella1 can give us an update on Emmanuel's condition when she returns from her holiday.

It was my pleasure that my family in Imbert were able to meet Estrella1 and hand off the funds that is needed to help Emmanuel out. I am down for business in a few weeks and we are planning to go out there. I hope to see you there.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Here is a recent update from Estrella1's blog. If you look at the blog, keep in mind the most recent entries appear at the end.

I just come back from Emmanuel's house and the situation is worse....
Miledi, his mother, is alone to take care of the family. Her husband has another wife and comes home from time to time. Last week he was gone for 5 days and gave her 200 pesos (6 US dollars) to feed the whole family. Now he gave her a little bit more-but for 2 weeks-about 46 US.....With this amount she has to pay everything, the transportation for the 2 girls to go to school, the food, the clothes, everything!!!! She cannot work and she has problems to bring the boy to school as the street is going up and she does not have any help from anybody.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Another two entries:

Emmanuel is again a little more fat as you can see on the picture. He is really quiet and never smile. I tried to make him smile for the picture but it was almost impossible.
The bad news is that he has problems with his left arm and it seems it begins with the right one also....
He cannot go to school for the moment as the weather is so bad and everybody is sick at school. This could be very bad for him.
At night, Miledi says he has such big problems in his back that she has to sleep with him to help him constantly....You can imagine how this poor mother is feeling!!!!!

This family really needs help as soon as possible.....
They could not go on with the therapy since January as there is no money left (they need about 20 USDollars a week). The boy is getting worse and it is really important to exercize the body and train the muscles. As I see the situation (of course I'm not a doctor) this poor boy will not survive very long....Maybe I should try to find a private therapist to go to their house. Maybe it would be cheaper and better?
I was contacted by somebody to obtain help from Club Shrine Dominicana. Do you know this? Do you think they could help this boy?
Please, if you can do anything this would be welcome. A little added to another little and to another little can make a lot and change their life!
If you cannot send some money, please send him a letter or a postcard, he would be so happy...
(The address apears on page 17 of her blog).