Abel Martinez vs MOPC

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
As is known, for several months the MOPC has been working on the Autopista Duarte from SD to Santiago. When finished the entire stretch will be improved and safer. Well, something "new" came to surface. Apparently, the MOPC hasn't had a meeting with Santiago's or any other municipalities along the highway to express what exactly they are planning to do. Abel Martínez seeing the current works taking place approaching Santiago correctly assumes that the main entrace to the city which his administration beautified with a large new welcome sign and redoing the median within the city will be destroyed. The expansion is taking place eliminating the median along with the trees instead of using the sides of the highway.

Now he is demanding that the MOPC get together with Santiago's city government and explain their plan, plus MOPC doesn't have the adequate city permits to intervene on Santiago's stretch of the Duarte Highway. He is "defending" the improvements that he did about three years ago.

Reactions: bachata

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
As sad as I feel for Martinez, the real problem is that the work is done w/o any common sense......

On the " other side of autopista Duarte, ie coming in to Santiago from Navarete, it seems a drunk mad man is in charge of the work.

He somehow decided 10 in the morning is the appropriate hour to block off 1 lane out of 2, creating, literally kilometers of standstill, with traffic backing up on 3 lanes or more ( yeah, welcome to the DR where people just fill up the " emergency lane" for kms ).
All that to tarmac a grand total of maybe 150m..... yes, meters 😭😭😭😭.

Fast-forward 4 or 5 hours later, the work has moved on to another even smaller patch, leaving in between a couple of kms of motorway that looks like the bloody russian artillery rained down shells on it. Why, just why ? 🙄🙄🙄

And its not as if they could spare one of the tens of workers just waiting around for something to happen to direct traffic, could they ?
Or, brain fart, do it at night ??

SMFH......

Rant over, sorry.

• Wow
Reactions: JD Jones and cavok

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
As sad as I feel for Martinez, the real problem is that the work is done w/o any common sense......

On the " other side of autopista Duarte, ie coming in to Santiago from Navarete, it seems a drunk mad man is in charge of the work.

He somehow decided 10 in the morning is the appropriate hour to block off 1 lane out of 2, creating, literally kilometers of standstill, with traffic backing up on 3 lanes or more ( yeah, welcome to the DR where people just fill up the " emergency lane" for kms ).
All that to tarmac a grand total of maybe 150m..... yes, meters 😭😭😭😭.

Fast-forward 4 or 5 hours later, the work has moved on to another even smaller patch, leaving in between a couple of kms of motorway that looks like the bloody russian artillery rained down shells on it. Why, just why ? 🙄🙄🙄

And its not as if they could spare one of the tens of workers just waiting around for something to happen to direct traffic, could they ?
Or, brain fart, do it at night ??

SMFH......

Rant over, sorry.

Before Christmas, we were in a tapon entering the rotonda in POP due to road work and I got slightly upset because I was really tired and that was stupid... Don't ever try to apply any logic or the expecting someone improving the roads being able to fully use their brains (assuming there is one in place), or you'll break your head...

Yes, just before Christmas, they were blocking the rotonda near Jumbo in POP as they decided to to roadwork at 5-6pm... Was there someone directing the traffic?? I was just very happy when we entered our street, the entire Avenida Luis Ginebra being one consistent traffic jam all the way to Bayardo... Thanks to MOPC...

For Santiago, I would like to kindly know when will the huge potholes between Navarrete and Santiago be fixed OR the damaged parts of the circunvalacion... You pay toll for that road and it's a huge safety hazard already...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Update: Santiago's city government met with the MOPC and they were shown the plans. They are enthusiastic about what they saw. At least the wign with the flags will be moved to another place in the same entrance. The gardens in the middle of the road appear they will be destroyed.

Some of what is planned to be done is shown below.