About Living In Puerto Plata

Manu

Jul 7, 2008
About living in Puerto Plata

As this is the first time I have come into this site, I was pleasantly surprised that I could identify with some of you, specially with SosuaMiguel.

I have also been scoutting about a good place to retire in several Latin American countries and have finally decided that it will be the area between Puerto Plata and Sosua. Not Sosua, as it has changed a great deal for the worse since my first trip there in 1986. I specially like Star Hills. Very quiet, clean and relatively safe and at the same time very close to everything. I liked its proximity to the pueblo Cirouellos, where one can shop for fruits and vegetables at low prices. And a little further down there is the local fish market. The only drawback is that the land lots are large and therefore quite expensive and since the construction must adhere to strick regulations it just might put it beyond my budget. I am still negotiating and hoping to do it (land and construction) for about $160,000 to $200,000.

If not I may have to consider Torre Alta, which by the way is not the most idylic environment. That is, high density of construction (very small land lots), unfinished construction projects, and noisy (motorcycles and barking dogs). Other than that, is a good place to live and not very expensive. A new small house can be purchased there for slightly over $100,000. Last October I met there an Italian American man who told me that he checked all the North Coast (no to mention other areas in Dominican Republic) and Torre Alta IV was the place he liked best.

I would welcome any other suggestions from those who now live there.

Thank you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a land in torre alta and miesposo's parents live there. the higher up you go the better lots you have, also nicer houses (certainly no motors and no barking dogs).
yes, some lots are quite small, it beats me up why the owner of tienda jimenez built himself a palace on a lot that left him with a yard size of a stamp, hell, could he not afford to get a bigger solar?
anyways, one can purchase several lots close to each other or just one big one, there is plenty of land available. as far as costs go - it all depends on what you are looking to spend and what type/size of house you want. we budget for 100k dollars for a house alone and probably will spend more.
but we have stunning ocean view! :bunny:

I lived mostly full time in Sosua for two years (05-07). For the past 15 months I have been back in the States (elderly parent with health problems). The ?pull? to return to my former lifestyle is strong and I am planning on returning sometime between November and early January unless I incur more problems.

Though I am looking forward to returning, I do want to make some lifestyle changes.

I mostly lived downtown in Sosua or close enough that downtown was quite accessible. It was great. Made lots of friends, met lots of girls, got scammed a lot, etc. etc. You know the drill.

I also spent a lot of time in the barrios, worked hard on my Spanish, made quite a few Dominican friends. I enjoyed learning about a culture different from my own and had a lot of fun experiences.

Perhaps I have moved on to another stage, but this time I would like a very quiet existence away from the noise and confusion. Up here I am a country guy, perhaps a bit of a hermit and I enjoy a quiet retirement.

The truth is I could be happy about anywhere on the north coast from POP down to Rio San Juan I suppose, but am thinking of trying to find a furnished house to rent in Puerto Plata.

I wrote to Ginnie B She was nice enough to recommend a realtor whom I contacted and they seemed to think, when the time comes, they could find something in my price range ($500 or less, furnished, full time/long term).

Though I have been in and out of POP many times, it was always to go to dinner, or walk on the Malecon or go to Casa Nelson etc. I know very little about actually living in that city.

It is a long time until time for me to go. I?m certainly not pressed for time. But it is fun to research, gather information and make plans.

I have a lot of questions about living in POP but will just ask a couple right now and see if I get any responses.

Would someone tell me about the various residencial neighborhoods in Puerto Plata; which ones are affordable, which are safest to live in, where to avoid. Plusses and minuses of different locations would be interesting.

I have no problem living in a Dominican neighborhood, in fact I would welcome it. I also realize that no place is totally safe and secure but some places are better than others. I?m just looking for a quiet street, a simple two-bedroom house, needs to be furnished etc etc.

Second and last question. I have never had transportation when I have lived down there. This time I would like to try and buy a car to get around town in, perhaps a trip now and then to Santiago, Sosua or Cabarete.

I know I can go to Moca and get a quite good used car in the $8000 to $12000 range but truthfully I can be happy with less.

As an example, there is a guy I know in Sosua who drives a 99 Dodge Stratus He picked it up for not much. It is the very same car I drive up here even the same color. My car here has 140,000 miles on it, I take care of it, don?t go on long trips with it. I know one day it will quit on me but so far it is running well and saving me a big car payment. That is the type of vehicle I will be looking for down there. How do I find it?

Any other tidbits of advice about living in POP would be welcomed.

Sorry to be so wordy. I have lurked on this site for years, though not extensively, but this is the first time I have posted.

pm me with your email and we can talk been living there for year and a half now and love it.

sidsy

Dec 14, 2008
we are going to POP for 2 month stay, our first time out of the "resorts" any words of wisdom from you long timers?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
we are going to POP for 2 month stay, our first time out of the "resorts" any words of wisdom from you long timers?

Words of wisdom :cheeky: about...........? Would help if you gave us a clue about which aspects of life in Puerto Plata you wanted to know about. Shopping? Transport? Electricity? Safety? Restaurants? Esoteric hobbies? ;) Then again if you use the search function you'll probably find that there is quite a lot already written.

If you could be more specific I'm sure all of us living here will do our best to help. In the meanwhile, welcome! :)

I typed that before I checked your other post - if you need a good doctor for any illnesses while you are here consult Dr. James Bailes in Costambar.

sidsy

Dec 14, 2008
Safety is certainly a concern, Is there any popular scams to watch out for? Also, i need a crown and have been told that dentists are very good there and reasonably priced. What diving school/facility could you recommend?
Thanks.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Safety is certainly a concern, Is there any popular scams to watch out for? Also, i need a crown and have been told that dentists are very good there and reasonably priced. What diving school/facility could you recommend?
Thanks.
Safety concerns will mainly be in & around the house. Choose an area that offers good support from the neighbours, has a LOW crime history &/or has a good neighbourhood watch scheme.

Scams are a dime a dozen so you just need to observe common sense & NOT make an immediate decision about anything. Think offers over carefully before splashing out your money. That relates to dealing with Ex-Pats as WELL as Dominicans!!

One of MANY good dentists in Puerto Plata is Fredy Lepe just one block up the street Duarte from the Amber Museum. He speaks excellent English.

Diving schools are based over in Sosua & as diving is not a pastime I involve myself with, I will let the experts of Sosua respond to that question. North Coast Diving springs to mind but I am sure there are many others!! ~ Grahame