About the Cardinal's "Coming out against homosexuality" comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Wow, since we're on the topic, how are gay people treated in the DR in general. From what I was told by my Spanish instructor (he was Dominican) there when we asked was that no one cared either way. I'm just curious to know, so could someone let me know.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Cardinal is an idiot

Cardinal is a piece of feces. One more of the things that is wrong with DR. This is a remniscent of the same Church that supported Trujillo. People like Monseñor Nouel, who backed all the " bagabunderias" of Trujillo, just because he was giving him a pension. you have a province named after that rat.

This idiot should leave homosexuals alone. Where the hell he gets that gays in the military is detrimental to discipline? The military of Britain, Israel, have gays openly,and that hasn't affect their effectiveness.

This guy supposely is a man of " God", yet is acting like an Inquisitor of the 16th Century. You can tell he has a " cara de ratrero"( corrupt face). He is a fake.

DR. should allow homosexual marriage, just like Spain did, in additon to some other social changes, like the elimination of the evil anti-haitian ideology. Many people would see that as a " shame", but as pride, that true social progress is taking place.

Too bad that president Fernandez, Congress and the entire PLD, is not showing any rebuttals to this demagoguery. This country is still too submissive to the abuses of a supposed " divine authority" , or they are just afraid of being called " communists, atheist" by challeging a top church authority. Time to separate Church and State in DR.

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
He may have done so already - pederasty being an "inspiration" for some of his brothers.

I'm amazed at how the same people who enthuse over living in a foreign country, who disdain 'gringo tourists' who come to the DR and wear shorts and eat McDonald's at the same time are completely unable to allow another culture its own understanding of sexuality.

Earth to Will & Grace: The whole world does not look at homosexuality as something as natural as being born with blue eyes, something to be "celebrated". As a matter of fact, only in the U.S. and parts of Western Europe does this attitude prevail.

So if youre not living in said countries, get over yourself.

As for cracks about pedophile priests and insinuations about the Cardinal or "the entire heirarchy", learn your g.d. facts first.

Last edited by a moderator:

camuman

Nov 9, 2006
As a former seminarian (I had the guts to get out just before I was ordained,because I discovered I was homosexual and felt I could serve better outside de realm of the church),I beleive the Cardinal should concentrate in cleaning its own house and backyard. Beleive you me, if people knew what goes on in the seminars and in the back of the altars, there would be no Church.
I am just tired of the church treating Dominicans as if they were dealing with Indians.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
F you. Can I be any clearer?

I'm amazed at how the same people who enthuse over living in a foreign country, who disdain 'gringo tourists' who come to the DR and wear shorts and eat McDonald's at the same time are completely unable to allow another culture its own understanding of sexuality.

Earth to Will & Grace: The whole world does not look at homosexuality as something as natural as being born with blue eyes, something to be "celebrated". As a matter of fact, only in the U.S. and parts of Western Europe does this attitude prevail.

As for cracks about pedophile priests and insinuations about the Cardinal or "the entire heirarchy", learn your g.d. facts first.

Tell me how you really feel.

Your facts are all wrong, fightingirish. This is not about me, but...

1. Show me where The Kid has shown disdain for short-wearing gringo tourists; I wear shorts every chance I get. You must have me confused for some of those know-it-all sankie experts from that other forum. I love tourists.

2. Although I dislike Big Macs, I do enjoy McDonald's French fries and egg croissants.

3. Have never watched an episode of Will & Grace, but I do reside in the US, so, I according to you, my anti-homophobia stance is valid.

4. The Kid never said the Cardinal was a pedophile. Someone suggested that he should study ancient Greek history. Well, I merely pointed out some of the ancient Greek practices. And you can't deny that some priests are hypocrites - preaching one thing, and... Those are facts.

5. As far as knowing my facts about "the entire hierarchy," well, back when I thought I was Catholic, I was pretty much up-to-speed with it. Has anything changed?

Your anti-tolerance rant may cause this thread to be closed.

Regards,
-The Kid

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

I enthuse over living here in DR but it doesn't mean my critical faculties have gone out the window. Being a foreigner living here who is not prepared to hear one 'bad word' about the country is unrealistic and a denial of one's responsibilities as a human being. If social and other ills are being perpetrated by indigenous inhabitants, Government or whoever, then I believe we have a responsibility to identify them. It doesn't mean we are not 'allowing' another culture its own understanding of sexuality; it means that where certain groups are suffering oppression it is fair and reasonable to say so. It is fair to criticise corruption in DR because it oppresses the poor, isn't it? So it should be fair to criticise the Cardinal for making gay people feel they are 'outside' acceptable society. He has a track record for this. And I know we don't discuss religion here, but the Cardinal is a member of a church whose founder was known to support the oppressed, not castigate them.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
F you. Can I be any clearer?

Astonishing. You don't realise how many wrong assumptions you've made about something_of_the_night and the posters on this thread. The vast majority of posts here are from Dominicans, and every single one of them has been critical of the Cardinal and his absurd, outdated, bordering-on-the-comical bigotry. So much for it being a western cultural imposition.

Like much of the world, the DR is in a process of developing tolerance for natural things that used to unacceptable. The Cardinal happens to be at the tail end, but luckily many of his compatriots are further along in the process.

I don't share your beliefs but accept that you are entitled to hold them. I'm just glad you're not teaching my kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.